Battle 5000 Issue

D_L

Having a binding problem at about the 11 o'clock position. Reel is about 6 weeks old. Notice it was getting progressively harder to turn.  After last use it was very noticeable about 11 o'clock . Thinking maybe needs to be cleaned and greased? Appreciate any help.

Thanks D_L

I would get problem with my 4000 battles where it would suddenly--suddenly--start getting harder and harder to turn. Where it was just too hard to turn to fish it. Appeared to be grease issue somewhere and what worked was to put it on the dash and turn on the defrost and blast it for a few minutes and it was back to normal and would stay that way for days or weeks. I have no idea what caused this problem but it seems clear that heat solved it at least temporarily. 

If you tear it down mak sure to lube up real good the crosswind block as Tony has advised others in order to avoid the "Penn knock" issue. 

I have a few BTL reels. When I get them I pack them with more grease, I like Yamalube. Plus I take the old grease out and regrease and oil once a year. I have never had a problem with any of them , and they get fished a lot. But Ots is right it's a grease problem. Watch now mine will bind up. lol

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.