2019 Outback Hatches Leaking

1 min ago, buddha162 said:

Riddler is as abrasive as ever, but to be fair I had no clue that youtuber's name is Mark, let alone that he served...I am curious as to why he thinks the 20lbs of ice up front had nothing to do with compromising the hatch seal. If he's reading it would be great to hear his thoughts. 

Abrasive?  You're the same guy that labeled Saltwater Kayak fisherman here as substandard in skill level compared to freshwater kayak anglers?  Kettle black brother? :wave:

10 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Sales?

No.  You misspelled Corps.  As in the Marine Corps.  

Not core. 

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

5 mins ago, buddha162 said:

I am curious as to why he thinks the 20lbs of ice up front had nothing to do with compromising the hatch seal. If he's reading it would be great to hear his thoughts. 

Listen from 4:25... he got rid of the bag and said he had the same issue. Maybe you think the bag may have more permanently damaged the seal? I guess that's possible too. 

11 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Abrasive?  You're the same guy that labeled Saltwater Kayak fisherman here as substandard in skill level compared to freshwater kayak anglers?  Kettle black brother? :wave:

Abrasive, belligerent, bellicose...that seems to be your default mode on the kayak forum. But in case you missed it, I was defending you. How could you know that 1) MDLR is a veteran, and 2) what does that have to do with his kayak review? 

And yes, as a saltwater kayak angler, I'm grateful that our species don't require the level of finesse and complexity to fool as heavily pressured freshwater species. And yet again, that has zero to do with the topic at hand. 

2 mins ago, Jon I said:

Listen from 4:25... he got rid of the bag and said he had the same issue. Maybe you think the bag may have more permanently damaged the seal? I guess that's possible too. 

The bag was on his deck punching through the surf. That's where most of the water slammed in. The pressure of the surf will cause that bag to lift up and you will take on more water. He should have had the bag in the tankwell and move it after he came out of the white water surf. Even when pumping out a kayak full of water you never get all of it because you are pumping from mid ship.

4 mins ago, Jon I said:

I just didn't hear any reasoning behind discounting the heavy load on top of the hatch during launch. Esp after seeing that other video where the bow was completely submerged multiple times and there wasn't nearly that much water in the hull. 

2 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Abrasive, belligerent, bellicose...that seems to be your default mode on the kayak forum. But in case you missed it, I was defending you. How could you know that 1) MDLR is a veteran, and 2) what does that have to do with his kayak review? 

And yes, as a saltwater kayak angler, I'm grateful that our species don't require the level of finesse and complexity to fool as heavily pressured freshwater species. And yet again, that has zero to do with the topic at hand. 

:laugh:  Trust me I don't need your defense, him being a veteran has nothing to do with making a mistake taking that kayak out to big water that was doomed for failure right from the launch. It was a foolish move.

On 10/28/2018 at 5:42 AM, rubone47 said:

Your up early LOL

I read SoL while taking a dump. It’s a similar experience.

Regularly put 20lbs of ice on my bow...can’t use a stringer. Never had a problem with extra water. Obviously my boat isn’t performing like it should, but same water intrusion every trip.

25 mins ago, EliasV said:

I read SoL while taking a dump. It’s a similar experience.

Regularly put 20lbs of ice on my bow...can’t use a stringer. Never had a problem with extra water. Obviously my boat isn’t performing like it should, but same water intrusion every trip.

I respect that Elias.  Its something I wouldn’t do in the surf.  There isnt one way to do things. 

Sorry you look at this forum as some type of substandard in the kayak fishing world. I hope we can make your stay here a little more pleasant since you are taking your time and gracing us with your awesome presence.  

7 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I respect that Elias.  Its something I wouldn’t do in the surf.  There isnt one way to do things. 

Sorry you look at this forum as some type of substandard in the kayak fishing world. I hope we can make your stay here a little more pleasant since you are taking your time and gracing us with your awesome presence.  

Thanks for bringing me down a notch. Don’t worry the platform I use as my “internet fishing zone” is a toilet without the seat.

Bottom line was - I was hopeful to get the boat as well. I shared what several people messaged me in regards to the hatch. Interpret it however you’d like. I’m sure some think I have extra motives to disparage that boat as well, so I guess it doesn’t matter. If anyone does care to believe what I post - a guy was out front here off southeastern Carolina and we fished the ocean same day. He had an absurd amount of water on a not so sloppy but no glass calm day. Conditions I’d fish with no hesitation. 

The ice bag goes in the stern on launch and landing, but I make room on the water and put it on the bow after clearing the zone.

Edited by EliasV

1 min ago, EliasV said:

Thanks for bringing me down a notch. Don’t worry the platform I use as my “internet fishing zone” is a toilet without the seat. 

The ice bag goes in the stern on launch and landing, but I make room on the water and put it on the bow after clearing the zone.

It’s ok i know your a hell of a fisherman and your enthusiasm helps me!

i am glad you dont leave the bag on the hatch! 

Dunno if this will solve the issues with the Hobie hatch, but I'm eyeing this edging seal product from McMaster for my Scupper Pro's non-hinged buckle down hatch. I might try gluing down a foam tube on top of that channel for a real belt and suspenders approach. That U-channel has steel inside for a firm grab. $24 for 10'.

Water- and Weather-Resistant Rubber Push-On Seals with Foam Rubber Wiper

These seals have an EPDM foam rubber wiper, which is softer and more flexible than EPDM rubber wipers. They resist water,sunlight, and ozone. Push them onto a door’s edge to deflect wind, dust, and water. The gripping edges have fingers for a strong hold. The foam has closed-cell construction, which resists absorption.

1120a861c2-style3-j05l.png?ver=144066067

5 mins ago, BillZ said:

Looks more like a straight edge application, no?

Can it take a turn???

Yes, I've used it without the flange a lot, it's pretty flexible. A square corner with no radius, maybe not. In that case I'd try and do a miter and caulk it.