Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ghost

Fishing Report from OBX 10/20

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Arrived in Avon late Saturday 10/20.

Sunday windy, very windy no fishing going on anywhere. Pickup some bait and tackle and planned for Monday.

Monday decided to fish Avon right in front of the house. Beach was packed with fisherman. Everyone was catching bluefish usually about 12-18 inches. Any bait worked.

Tuesday again fished Avon at several locations and nothing but small fish (spot, croaker ,little trout) were caught. No one even report hearing of a drum being caught.

Wednesday fished the Frisco area all day. Nothing to speak of not even bluefish.

Thursday fished from early a.m. until dark along the beaches north of Avon all the way to the pier with just a small break for lunch. Bluefish, all you wanted, again any bait worked. 12 -16 inches. Red Drum tournament started and I spoke to a judge about results, not a single drum was measured. At least I know its not just me. 

Friday , calling for heavy rain all day.  Maybe it will turn the Drum bite on, we will see.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was also in Avon on the 20th through yesterday. 1 small skate Saturday. Sunday, as you stated, no fishing, but enjoyed watching the windsurfers tearing across the sound. First cast Monday evening landed a nice 26" slot drum on cut mullet about 400 yards north of the point. Tons of blues after. Tuesday at Hatteras Inlet yielded small speck trout and blues. Evening at the point - many blues and ended up fighting a spinner shark for the better part of an hour. Made me realize how out of shape I am! Stupid shark really took it out of me! Hard to get a measurement since it was dark by the time I landed it, but it was 4 foot and some change. As far as Avon, no luck for me at ramps 30 and south. Unfortunately had to leave Wednesday. Best of luck to you! Let us know what turns up.

Edited by kg4usk

He might not have measured any but there has been 7 or 8 big drum caught and some puppy drum.  Check the NCBBA Facebook page for results.  Good luck, weather is about to get sporty.

Savfish you are correct as I stopped by Frank and Fran today and big drum were caught all well north of Avon. Most were caught early this a.m.. 

Now its pouring and the wind is howling, just got back from the beach and I see one truck on entire beach.

Down for two weeks 13th -27th, caught fish every day some nice drum the biggest was 42 w/ several nice puppy’s that I put back. I fished every day including last Friday but towards noon it was more work than it was worth finally gave up at 1:30. I opted for some shrimp at the Dog. When I was last in Frank & Frans they had two 48 inchers on the board with nice blues being caught by almost everyone who took the tournament seriously.

Not sure why the fishing is off at Frisco. When I was down early October, I fished Ramp 49 in two different locations a couple of hours on two separate days, but had absolutely no bites.

I ended up with most of my fish either at 55 or in front of the house. All of my keeper fish were caught at 55.

i heard the tournament held earlier this month in Nags Head did not yield many drum at all. 

Anyway, thanks for reports. Those small blues are still good eating. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Finishing my second  week of my three week stay. I wish I had a lot to report. Have not caught any red drum at all nor have I seen a single drum caught. I know some big drum have been reported, but I guess the action is at night. I have fished Avon heavily both north and south  of town , fished the point and east of 55 to the inlet. Not only am I not catching I have not seen others catching. 

Don't get me wrong I have caught enough flounder for a nice dinner, lots of blues, small black drum, and trout, but no red drum and no sea mullet/whting which I find very unusual. They are usually a stable. 

Been fishing three rods two mullet rigs and dinner rod (smaller hooks fished closer to shore) , bait has been cut mullet, shrimp and cut blue fish for the most part, also tried squid. 

One more week, having a great time some great weather and will keep trying . Yesterday was heavy rain and today winds are exceeding 25 knots, but its still better then home..................tight lines, 

Edited by ghost

Caugfht a 17" red at OI.

2 keeper trout and a keeper flounder.

Was gonna stay the night, but grass ran me off. Grass is as bad as I've seen it at OI. Saw a striper caught. ZERO blues at OI yesterday. Not sure what that means but its rare.

Week three and the sea mullet/ whiting have arrived. Fish on every cast, nice size. Fished as much as possible between weather and family obligations, but I never got my red and I never saw one caught.

Had a great time, heading home Friday after a great stay. Just love the area.

Nice, I caught a lot of sea mullet during Thanksgiving week last year, more so than any other fish. And you are right, all nice size.