yemista

thinking of a steelhead rod

37 posts in this topic

On 10/26/2018 at 1:38 PM, yemista said:

What model do you use? I would like to take a look

its the E6X 1084-2S STR 9' medium fast 3/8-3/4

I was a little off on the length, but its maybe my favorite rod i own. Ive got it paired with a shimano saros

On 10/26/2018 at 1:38 PM, yemista said:

What model do you use? I would like to take a look

If you see a guy roll up in a saab (only one left) maybe ill let ya check it out

I use a STR1025S for my heavy rod, 3/8 - 1oz., Fast action....w/ a Shimano Stradic 2500HG.

Alright thanks guys, Im going to take a look at these other options. Im basically looking for something that will throw up to an ounce that is still sensitive enough to feel a 12 inch fish.

I have come to the conclusion that the more water you can cover the better your chances of catching a salmon at the Chu because they dont seem to care as much about feeding on the edges. They can be anywhere across the reservoir but seem to remain near the top

I use my light Fenwick 1/2 oz. Steelhead rod for LL's....& so many times they chase the lure right up to shore.

It has a Daiwa 3000 w/ 10lb. PowerPro 8.

i have a g loomis 9 foot and a 9 foot shimano salmon/ steelie rod.  i use them for casting out light lures. stock trout, panfish and finesse fishin winter bass.  i think a light surf rod would be better, especially fishing with 1 ounce metals 

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, yemista said:

Alright thanks guys, Im going to take a look at these other options. Im basically looking for something that will throw up to an ounce that is still sensitive enough to feel a 12 inch fish.

I have come to the conclusion that the more water you can cover the better your chances of catching a salmon at the Chu because they dont seem to care as much about feeding on the edges. They can be anywhere across the reservoir but seem to remain near the top

I would strongly recommend the Edge Steelhead Rod model  BWS  ST 964-2 

9' 6"  spin 2 piece . ! I've got hundreds of hours  on this blank and good for everything trout , steelhead , Stripers , Alberts , Bonitos etc 

In  fact they offer a 90 day return policy if your not happy with the Rod , but you Will be ! Outstanding Rod !

Edited by Capt. Lou

On 10/27/2018 at 8:58 PM, aglenn said:

its the E6X 1084-2S STR 9' medium fast 3/8-3/4

I was a little off on the length, but its maybe my favorite rod i own. Ive got it paired with a shimano saros

I took a look at this rod online. What exactly is a drift rod?

1 hour ago, yemista said:

They use them for a fast pickup when drifting floats in rivers. The action is set to pick up the slack when setting on a fish when the float goes under. So a little more of a fast action than moderate which you normally see In salmon/steelhead rods.

Posted (edited)

If you want to catch more salmon I wouldn't focus on casting distance as my first option. Honestly all of the salmon I catch come within 20yds of shore every single time. I would focus more on the movements of the fish and location. I have some spots in the spring where I catch 3 in a couple hours. Location and technique is far more important. And my most deadly technique for salmon is to fish for them with a small shiner under a float. Catches more than spoons by around 4 to 1 in my experience and the average size is better too.

20180423_133437.jpg

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

48 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

If you want to catch more salmon I wouldn't focus on casting distance as my first option. Honestly all of the salmon I catch come within 20yds of shore every single time. I would focus more on the movements of the fish and location. I have some spots in the spring where I catch 3 in a couple hours. Location and technique is far more important. And my most deadly technique for salmon is to fish for them with a small shiner under a float. Catches more than spoons by around 4 to 1 in my experience and the average size is better too.

20180423_133437.jpg

i need to learn to catch salmon and other fish on a regular basis up there. 

1 hour ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

And my most deadly technique for salmon is to fish for them with a small shiner under a float.

20180423_133437.jpg

Do you use a slip bobber or a fixed bobber? I've been experimenting with slip bobbers up there and haven't found one that I like yet. If you use slip bombers, which brand are you using?

I often catch salmon close to shore on metals. However in April and November you'll often see salmon breaking on top at first light. I'll sight cast towards them. Sometimes they are out there a ways so having that extra distance can help.

5 hours ago, Capt. Lou said:

I would strongly recommend the Edge Steelhead Rod model  BWS  ST 964-2 

9' 6"  spin 2 piece . ! I've got hundreds of hours  on this blank and good for everything trout , steelhead , Stripers , Alberts , Bonitos etc 

In  fact they offer a 90 day return policy if your not happy with the Rod , but you Will be ! Outstanding Rod !

Edge is the new Loomis?     I have a Fenwick, Loomis & a heavy  All Star spinning rods now, somehow I traded or sold all my baitcasting steelhead rods....I miss the baitcasting rods I used to use exclusively at the reservoirs.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, zak-striper said:

Do you use a slip bobber or a fixed bobber? I've been experimenting with slip bobbers up there and haven't found one that I like yet. If you use slip bombers, which brand are you using?

I often catch salmon close to shore on metals. However in April and November you'll often see salmon breaking on top at first light. I'll sight cast towards them. Sometimes they are out there a ways so having that extra distance can help.

Both slip and fixed. For a slip I love the thill 3/16 splashbrite. I weigh it down with a 1/4oz egg sinker.

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker
Correction it's a 3/16 splashbrite

4 hours ago, yemista said:

Drift rods are for drifting egg sacs for steelhead during their fall run in bigger water - I needed a rod for that and then thought i'd give it a shot with the kast masters and it turned out to be better than anything i'd used up to that point by a long shot