yemista

thinking of a steelhead rod

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

So I was looking at steelhead rods, and found two I would consider. Lamiglas LX 96 LS or LX 96 MS. The different I can see is that the LS is rated for lures between 1/8oz and 5/8oz, while the MS is rated for lures between 1/4oz and 3/4oz. I plan to primarily throw 1/2oz gold kastmasters with it as the Chu, but might go down to 1/4 inline spinners if I can get decent distance with them. Since the lures I want to throw are within the ranges of both these rods, is there any recommendation on which one to get? Does anyone have any experience casting either of them? Thanks in advance!

I have a okuma sst salmon rod rated to 1 once to throw crocks at the chu and  throw epoxys for albies. its a fine rod for the money. Just so you know light stealhead rods are often noodle rods and are more designed for drift fishing than casting.

You will need a proper review .

rst3 likes this

I have a Loomis 9' 6" for the same thing - wouldn't use anything else after using the G Loomis - can maybe outcast a salt water rod and it's soft enough for even a rat laker to feel pretty fun

1 hour ago, aglenn said:

I have a Loomis 9' 6" for the same thing - wouldn't use anything else after using the G Loomis - can maybe outcast a salt water rod and it's soft enough for even a rat laker to feel pretty fun

What model do you use? I would like to take a look

2 hours ago, boulderdash said:

I have a okuma sst salmon rod rated to 1 once to throw crocks at the chu and  throw epoxys for albies. its a fine rod for the money. Just so you know light stealhead rods are often noodle rods and are more designed for drift fishing than casting.

You will need a proper review .

So medium steelhead rods would be better for casting then?

12 mins ago, yemista said:

So medium steelhead rods would be better for casting then?

In general that would be true. you have to look at line rating  and action also.

I have a tica TC2 Salmon Steelhead rod for sale on this site! It is 9  foot 6 inch ...12-25 lb. line, 1/2 to 13/4 oz. lure, Sells for cheap money and is in as new condition......let me know.....Steve

24 mins ago, snv1950 said:

I have a tica TC2 Salmon Steelhead rod for sale on this site! It is 9  foot 6 inch ...12-25 lb. line, 1/2 to 13/4 oz. lure, Sells for cheap money and is in as new condition......let me know.....Steve

I didn't see it in the buy sell trade section, feel free to send me a message though

13 hours ago, yemista said:

I plan to primarily throw 1/2oz gold kastmasters with it as the Chu,

I have an 8' 6" Century Slingshot, rated for 1/2 oz to 2.5 oz, that I use for the Chu. I think the sweet spot is about 1/2 oz to 1 1/4 oz.

I love this fishing rod.

I can bomb 3/4 oz - 1 oz kastmasters with the Slingshot. However, I use a long cast reel with it, an Akios Scora 80. The two pair together really well. The rod has a Moderate-Fast action, with a medium light power.  I've caught 12" rainbows while not feeling like I'm overpowering them yet I've also caught small keeper striper sized stripers and still had enough backbone to land them. I also used the rod when trying to catch albies. Unfortunately I haven't crossed paths with an albie yet.

I paid about $300 for it when I bought it in '14. I'm seeing it listed at higher prices now. It's definitely worth the price if you want to spend a little more for a good rod.

If your casting spoons you want a fast or at least a good med/fast action.   I have 2 rods, a light 1/2oz. & a heavy 1oz. for the resy, & I don't go over 8 1/2' there.

A good compromise would be a 5/8 oz. (traditional) or 3/4oz. rod.   Although my last salmon came on a 1oz. Krock style green mack colored spoon w/ a huge saltwater treble & soldered rings!  :)

I love steel heading and only fly fish, however I am very impressed with the guys I see using center pin set ups. long casts, perfect drifts, technically elegant way to fish for steelhead and salmon. when I am walking a river and I see center pin guys ahead of me..... I get bummed out because it is so effective !

Last fall I was on a popular river fishing for lake run brown trout and I stopped to talk to a center pin fisherman who lived locally, he was very happy to tutor me on the technique and I have to say it was fun and interesting. 

Check out center pin set ups. Anyone can spin fish !! 

1 hour ago, striperblues said:

I love steel heading and only fly fish, however I am very impressed with the guys I see using center pin set ups. long casts, perfect drifts, technically elegant way to fish for steelhead and salmon. when I am walking a river and I see center pin guys ahead of me..... I get bummed out because it is so effective !

Last fall I was on a popular river fishing for lake run brown trout and I stopped to talk to a center pin fisherman who lived locally, he was very happy to tutor me on the technique and I have to say it was fun and interesting. 

Check out center pin set ups. Anyone can spin fish !! 

Center pins are nice and I'm looking at purchasing one but I dont think they could bomb a 3/4 ounce kastmaster into the middle of a body of water like the OP is looking for.

I just bought a cabelas fish eagle salmon steelhead rod 8'6" medium for like 60$ and it is a hell of a rod for the money. Used it for kings in pulaski but knew I would be using it at the chu for Lakers. Casts really nice. Haven't caught a laker on a metal on it though:(

2 hours ago, bb1 said:

If your casting spoons you want a fast or at least a good med/fast action.   I have 2 rods, a light 1/2oz. & a heavy 1oz. for the resy, & I don't go over 8 1/2' there.

A good compromise would be a 5/8 oz. (traditional) or 3/4oz. rod.   Although my last salmon came on a 1oz. Krock style green mack colored spoon w/ a huge saltwater treble & soldered rings!  :)

I like the 8 1/2 also its just a bit easier in the car ,walking through the brush and finding back cast room. my preference would be the med/fast for those jumping salmon and smallies that like to toss hardware.