PhillyPhisher

Colton rods

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

If you want the heavy rod be good for fish fighting make sure it has a fighting handle or longer handle! I don't know its cost but TFO has introduced a rod which butt section is softer glassfiber to make it bend but not break.

Esa

I spent some time with Dan and Redgreen this fall in the Cape and got to cast this very powerful rod.

It is way more powerful than a  normal 10 wt. Whats  a normal 10 wt these days.

The clue is the fact it handled ok over 500 grains. That is a very big load for a single hand rod rated as a 10 wt.

The rod casts  very nicely. For me it is too much rod to cast repeatably  from shore.

Your looking for a 12 wt and this rod might just be the ticket for you.

It is very difficult to know what you are going to get if you just use a rods nominal line rating these days.

Those of us who do bother to use the CCS measuring system often get mocked but we don’t have to guess at a rods power or action.

The figures Dan gave will be pretty accurate. We had a quite afternoon testing various rods and blanks for fun.

But if you call Bob and tell him what you want to do with the rod and how many grains you wish to cast he will be able to help a lot.

His company Colton is easy to google up.

Oakman agree. Great reply from Dan. 

You cant beat objective measurements over subjective opinion.

Mike

Gremlin likes this

I too, am a Colton convert-   I used to fish 10weights from the beach and boat exclusively.   the Tradewinds 9 weight does all of that nicely.  I would imagine a 12 weight would cover most of the fly-rodable offshore fish most people would target

About the Colton Tradewinds UD Blue 10w - I agree that that rod is a beast and can handle lines from 350g+ and up to and over 500g.  The rod is awesome with the following lines:  older 11wt Scientific Anglers Tarpon Floater or Intermediate (probably only ~350g), 11w (465g) or 12w (510g) Rio Outbound short, Rio Leviathan 500g.  I find that it also works great with the Scientific Anglers Striped Bass type IV sinking line which is 400g (has an intermediate running line).   Can be used in place of a 12w rod for short shots - easily handles a tarpon 12w line by just about any manufacturer.   The only caveats I have about it agree with Mike O that the rod is heavy and a bit much for all day casting in surf, and the rod has rather smallish collector guides - if it didn't it would be even heavier.

Fwiw 

i have the colton 10 wt XS

i like it but I wish it had a bit more stiffness for fishing lifting power

the TFO Ticrx which is discontinued is about perfect for what I like 

are you all saying the original UD colton would be comparable to the TFO ticrx?

Would like to add that I was in the market for a new 7wt, checked out his sight and called him. He actually spoke to me while cooking dinner for the family, ended up buying a Tradewinds XS 7wt from him, been using it down here in SW Fla for the past month. Great rod and product. Bought a Therapin from him last year, excellent reel IMHO.

I'll concur with Oakman and others although I am a newbie to fly fishing. When I was in the market for my first fly setup I called and he picked up, I told him what type of fishing I was going after and he talked my ear off for over an hour - that is customer service. So, far the 9', 9 weight has held up great. I'm sure there are other great products out there but customer service w Colton is difficult to beat.