Mike

Blackfish Reports 2018-2019

Rate this topic

102 posts in this topic

19 mins ago, Slacker said:

Sheesh.  Now you are posting in the wrong threads.

13 mins ago, Slacker said:

Typical fisherman.  In seven paragraphs, that puffer grew from "baseball sized" to "basketball sized".  LMAO.

12 mins ago, Kml said:

Nice content though.  He does have a flair.

11 mins ago, Slacker said:

Oh, he has flair out the wazzoo.  No disputing that.

I put that in the Random where it belongs 

9 hours ago, Mike said:

It was not my longest fight, it was by far my most difficult one....

I dropped a bundle to take the wife and kids to Boca and Disney, and I planned a little treat for myself. I chartered the renowned Bouncer Smith for a little inshore fishing with my kids. 

As the day approached the situation looked dire. I was waylaid by the Disney flu -- an unidentifiable virus imported to Disney by the throngs of foreigners. Fever, sweating. Days of agony. The trek from Disney to Boca was a dizzy blur. After a day in our condo the fever broke but I was so weak. The trip was the next day and I was hoping for strength. 

The morning brought more relief and I was determined not to miss the trip. It was a kids trip, and Bouncer was known for his acumen with kids. How tough could it be? The trip was 4-8pm. We had lunch and waited to hit the road.

Then the monkey wrench appeared -- big thunderstorms were rolling across the everglades and had us in their sights. The wife was not pleased and didn't want the kids on the water.  We'll be fine, wait them out if we need to, bought me no traction. I called Bouncer. He wanted to go and dance between the storms. It was go or pay not to go. 

Still weak, we decided that it was too much for the kids but I would go and salvage the fare. I arrived in a downpour and met Bouncer in the marina bar at 4pm. "Dude, we really doing this?" "Yes, it'll blow over. It's Miami!"

Two hours, dinner and a couple beers later we walked out onto the dock. It was majestic -- Distant thunderheads silhouetted by the low sun. Yes, it was "Miami." Bouncer pronounced it was time to go and we boarded the custom Dusky 33. Nice ride.

Without the kids, Bouncer changed the game plan. We were now after the King. The Silver Streak. Tarpon. Submarine sized tarpon. He spun the Dusky out of the marina and into Government Cut. We rounded the breakwall and turned onto the broad flats to the south.

Live crabs would be our bait. Bouncer handed me a light conventional with 20lb mono. Single 9/0 hook on a short leader and a swivel. We would drift and freeline the crabs in the flow of the current.

Things started slow so we chatted. About halfway through a story I felt the first pickup. I fought a huge puffer to the boat. Basketball sized. Bouncer looked at it quizzically and pronounced that he had never seen one that size. Citation fish he said. It went free. 

The next pick up was more substantial.  This was a fighter and took is for a ride. Once the drag stopped screaming I was able to work it to the boat. It was a permit. A huge permit over 3 feet long and every bit of 40lbs. Again, Bouncer pronounced it to be the largest he had seen. Another citation fish. The permit swam free after CPR. 

Now past 8, darkness was filling the sky. Bouncer said it was now or never as this was out last drift.  Storms were coming in again.

It was now. The pickup was light. I gave it a five count and set the hook. The reel screamed and we locked eyes. He knew. I knew. It was game on. Lightening flashed. Bouncer said we have no time to play with this fish, if you want it, we do it the hard way.

The first run was out of control. I stood no chance of stopping the fish with that outfit. Before I could say anything I heard the twin 250s roar. Bouncer was in his element. He wanted that fish more than me. 

I have never fished with another captain who could handle a boat like Bouncer can. Over the course of the next half hour I always had the perfect angle to apply pressure against our quarry. The fish constantly changed direction and so did the boat. Orders were shouted at me -- "bow", "midship" , "put the boots to 'em". We worked hard, real hard, to subdue the beast.

Sweat was pouring out of me. I had no idea it was possible to exert that much effort to catch a fish. We ran hard, pulled hard, sweat hard. And then we saw it. The King. A submarine size king. Lightening flashed on the horizon, I wiped sweat from my eyes and just drank it all in.

At boatside, I was shocked by it's size. I could have stuffed that basketball sized puffer into its mouth. No way that 6+ footer was coming on board.  Bouncer took the picture of me leaning over the side next to it's head. He pronounced it to be 125+. Maybe 150. Lightening flashed again as we cut it loose and ran for the barn. It was "Miami" fishing -- dancing between the storms.

Adventure complete.

I'm not reading all that. 

To appease the great B40, I fished yesterday on the Mimi. We made a right out of Manasquan inlet.  Nothing huge but only really had to measure one and ended up with 6 .  Some solid guys on the boat, a few had limits as well.  Lots of laughs.

1 hour ago, Billy 40 said:

pointless to have a blackfish report thread in a forum where nobody goes fishing

I catch so many fish, it was starting to feel like bragging so I stopped.

26 mins ago, Tom T said:

Oh, put that facebook report here, so I can bust your balls about "feeling a bite until the fish commits"

YOu know that scratch bite, how they never finish the bait? I've been figuring out how to get them to eat the bait. IT' snext level stuff, you'll hear abotu it in a few years when some internet guy posts a youtube

23 mins ago, Billy 40 said:

YOu know that scratch bite, how they never finish the bait? I've been figuring out how to get them to eat the bait. IT' snext level stuff, you'll hear abotu it in a few years when some internet guy posts a youtube

:laugh: