New handgun recommendations

Rate this topic

Good2Go

Hi All, I'll be taking the pistol safety douse in a few weeks and am starting to look for a semi-auto, Calebas has something like 159 for sale on their website. Trying to narrow it down. Would be using this for target shooting as well as home protection, and also carry around the property as bears have been spotted and I'd just like the assurance I could defend myself should one show up. Probably 9 mm. Any recommendations would be welcome!

Have you shot any particular handguns before? If not try and go somewhere and rent/shoot some. 

Everyone is different in what they prefer in their hand. 

If you want to carry and use for self defense at a minimum use 9mm. As already said a Glock 19 covers a lot for me. It may not for you. 

Good luck in your search. And yeah not a lot of handguns that I would say are good bear medicine.  

A guide in AK killed a brown bear with a 9MM.   i'm pretty sure he would have rather had a 12 GA when push came to shove though.   

If a black bear (which you have in CT) attacks you.  You had better fight as if your life depends on it as it does.  Don't try the playing dead thing as is only a grizzly thing.   

99.99% of black bear encounters will be with it hauling arse when it sees you. 

58 mins ago, Good2Go said:

Hi All, I'll be taking the pistol safety douse in a few weeks and am starting to look for a semi-auto, Calebas has something like 159 for sale on their website. Trying to narrow it down. Would be using this for target shooting as well as home protection, and also carry around the property as bears have been spotted and I'd just like the assurance I could defend myself should one show up. Probably 9 mm. Any recommendations would be welcome!

BEARS....no way, there ain't no bears in our town. Actually I've been totally surprised they haven't made an appearance here, it's a perfect area for them. In any event, I have two 9mm's for sale, probably not what you want but you can come over and take a peak at them. Both like new with boxes and laser sights and cheaper than Cabelas.

fishinambition  Posted June 30 ·After a decade and a half of trolling and disrupting the website, frank's finally fed up with Tim's bull****

2 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

BEARS....no way, there ain't no bears in our town. Actually I've been totally surprised they haven't made an appearance here, it's a perfect area for them. In any event, I have two 9mm's for sale, probably not what you want but you can come over and take a peak at them. Both like new with boxes and laser sights and cheaper than Cabelas.

Another thing no gun shop in Connecticut will let you handle a handgun without a CCL, it's the law. It should be a piece of cake getting one in this town.

fishinambition  Posted June 30 ·After a decade and a half of trolling and disrupting the website, frank's finally fed up with Tim's bull****

2 hours ago, JimP said:

Narrow your focus somewhat.  bear protection is a far cry from target shooting.  Grab a Gun 5 Glock 19 for general purpose.   For Bears -?  12 Gauge with slugs.   

Have a 12 ga but easier to pack a pistol when cutting down trees and working in the woods than a 9 lb pump. If surprised just want to know I have a fighting chance and put a few in the bastid before he eats me. Hopefully his last meal. 

2 hours ago, DMacLeod said:

A guide in AK killed a brown bear with a 9MM.   i'm pretty sure he would have rather had a 12 GA when push came to shove though.   

If a black bear (which you have in CT) attacks you.  You had better fight as if your life depends on it as it does.  Don't try the playing dead thing as is only a grizzly thing.   

99.99% of black bear encounters will be with it hauling arse when it sees you. 

Playing dead never entered my mind. I think one shot in the ground would likely have him heading the other way. Not saying I plan to hunt bear (or coyote, etc) with it just something relatively easy to carry that could be used if I'm bushwhacked. 

Got it.  a 9mm is better than nothing when it comes to fighting a Bear.   9mm is cheap now-a-days and you can put a lot of rounds downrange in training.    There are some decent defensive rounds in 9mm so there's no need to get a .40 cal anymore. Think about a Gen 5, Glock 17.   Give you a couple extra rounds to pump into that thing as he's tearing your ass up.  

25 mins ago, JimP said:

Got it.  a 9mm is better than nothing when it comes to fighting a Bear.   9mm is cheap now-a-days and you can put a lot of rounds downrange in training.    There are some decent defensive rounds in 9mm so there's no need to get a .40 cal anymore. Think about a Gen 5, Glock 17.   Give you a couple extra rounds to pump into that thing as he's tearing your ass up.  

Yeah, I was looking at cost for rounds and 9 mm seemed more reasonable than other center fire rounds. Could always get a 22 LR but expect 9mm have more stopping power. 

2 hours ago, Bass Ackwards said:

Thanks for this bud, I wouldn't mind taking a look, but need to get my license before committing to anything I think. PM me the make and model and I'd be happy to consider them.