Master Debaiter

Creeped Out

Rate this topic

144 posts in this topic

I was fishing an urban location this spring that requires a fairly long walk through the woods. It was a windy pitch black new moon night and the water was exceptionally high in this tidal river. As I was approaching my spot I saw a light flickering through the trees and thought there must be another fisherman there. To be honest I was relieved to have some company. As I came out of the woods I could see this flickering light was coming from the water and the warning bells started to go off in my head. What the...? When I reached the shore I could see it was a headlamp sitting in the rising water with no one anywhere to be seen. All I could think was who would leave their headlamp behind on a dark night such as this? I plucked the light out of the water with my rod and threw it up on shore where it kept flickering. I tried to fish but with the high water pushing me closer to the woods and the wind howling and the flickering headless headlamp behind me decided I wasn't having fun anymore. It was a very long walk back through those dark woods and as I exited the other side I looked back down the shoreline to see the light flicker a couple more times before it went out completely. 

Understanding why you get creeped out at different times doesn't mean it won't happen again and again.

Here's the basic idea...you brain is a super-computer, that is almost always running, hates times when there is no "input" and will try to fill those voids with other older material.

Basically you brain wants to fill in any gaps in information and input, so if you are fishing a dark/foggy night where visibility is low (or non-existent) your brain will almost always find something to fill that gap.

Of course your brain is kind of a dick because it usually finds stuff to freak/creep you out as the information to use.

Good luck and don't worry, that bump in the night is "usually" nothing to worry about...:laugh:

Every spring myself and a few friends rent a house next to a salt marsh for a few days of heavy fishing and heavy drinking. We normally all fish on this one point that is a very secluded half mile walk through the woods and into the marsh. After being out-fished by just about everyone in the group I decided to wake up early and hit a 3am tide at the point. I slipped out of the house without waking anyone and started trekking through the woods towards the point. After exiting the woods, the pathway drops low into the marsh and becomes a windy maze of trails with shoulder high grassy beams on each side.   There was enough moonlight so I didn't need a headlamp. When I get to the point where the woods ends and the trail drops into the marsh I hear a strange sound, like a duck quack coming from the salt marsh ahead. A duck near a salt marsh didn't seem so weird at the time so I proceeded along the trail. As I'm walking I hear another short quack sound. another few steps and I heard it again but this time it was a little more drawn out quaaaaack followed by a couple quick quack quack sounds. This made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up so I began to proceed more cautiously, walking slowly so my feet didn't make a sound. When I was almost all the way to the point I turned a corner to find a person, pants at their ankles, squatting on the edge of the walkway and facing the opposite direction. He heard me at the same moment I saw him because as soon as I turned the corner he screamed "F**K" and fell over trying to pull his pants up. Then I heard it again, quackkkkkk. Turns out I was not the first person awake that morning. My buddy Steve had woken up even earlier than me and after 4 days of cheap beer, and taco dinner the previous evening, he was suffering from some gastrointestinal distress. I had literally scared the **** out of Steve who was was now covered in a mixture of digested tacos and beach sand. I have never laughed harder than  I laughed that morning. 

1 min ago, LobsterGuy said:

Every spring myself and a few friends rent a house next to a salt marsh for a few days of heavy fishing and heavy drinking. We normally all fish on this one point that is a very secluded half mile walk through the woods and into the marsh. After being out-fished by just about everyone in the group I decided to wake up early and hit a 3am tide at the point. I slipped out of the house without waking anyone and started trekking through the woods towards the point. After exiting the woods, the pathway drops low into the marsh and becomes a windy maze of trails with shoulder high grassy beams on each side.   There was enough moonlight so I didn't need a headlamp. When I get to the point where the woods ends and the trail drops into the marsh I hear a strange sound, like a duck quack coming from the salt marsh ahead. A duck near a salt marsh didn't seem so weird at the time so I proceeded along the trail. As I'm walking I hear another short quack sound. another few steps and I heard it again but this time it was a little more drawn out quaaaaack followed by a couple quick quack quack sounds. This made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up so I began to proceed more cautiously, walking slowly so my feet didn't make a sound. When I was almost all the way to the point I turned a corner to find a person, pants at their ankles, squatting on the edge of the walkway and facing the opposite direction. He heard me at the same moment I saw him because as soon as I turned the corner he screamed "F**K" and fell over trying to pull his pants up. Then I heard it again, quackkkkkk. Turns out I was not the first person awake that morning. My buddy Steve had woken up even earlier than me and after 4 days of cheap beer, and taco dinner the previous evening, he was suffering from some gastrointestinal distress. I had literally scared the **** out of Steve who was was now covered in a mixture of digested tacos and beach sand. I have never laughed harder than  I laughed that morning. 

Well, the visuals of that story are really scary ;) 

2 mins ago, LobsterGuy said:

Classic. 

16 hours ago, Master Debaiter said:

I hate those long solo walks in the middle of the night and you’re constantly looking over your shoulder and you’re mind is all over the place. 

Fishing alone at night is  like being in a sensory deprivation tank.I walked up on a dude on Block a few years back and asked him how he was doing, thought the guy was going to jump out of his waders.

There’s a pile of driftwood/pseudo shack on the beach where I’ve been fishing. At 2am I’m convinced there’s a meth head sleeping there that’s gonna mug me and sell my stuff for drugs. 

Weird **** goes thru your head when youre alone in the dark and tired. 

16 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I have found that usually when you feel like you should not be in a certain place, it is a good idea to leave. We have an inborn instinct towards survival and that instinct will never lie or mislead you.

To many cryptids out there in the woodlands, sometimes the only way you know they are in your area is when your hair stands up on the back of your neck for no obvious reason or you are overcome with an unexplainable dread or fear while in a location that you normally feel comfortable in. Normal animals like bear, wolves, yotes, etc... don't cause these sensations.

The sensation comes from the same way we might feel someone watching us and just to turn around and find out someone is actually watching us.

I totally agree with you BB,,cryptids are out there and they are masters of hiding out,following you,causing you dred.

some will say it's just in the head but,it ain't.

I no longer run,I turn and are ready with my bowie or MOS hog hunter.

ya gotta watch yer buns out there esp when you are not close to your ride.

HH

ps-glad you posted this.

Edited by Roddy

Quackk!! Hahaha.

When I was in my young teens I was on a pond hunt for ducks with Dad. It was predawn dark and I was walking around the opposite side of the pond in calf deep water, watching out for alligator eyes, when I take a step and am chest deep water. An alligator hole.

I didn't poop myself but the chilly water got a little warmer. I was already a little freaked out about walking up on an alligator, but that ended my morning of hunting.I scrambled out of the hole trying to keep the gun from getting wetter, then rushed over to dad and stayed cold until he was done. I'm just glad it wasn't a really cold day.

“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”  Don't be surprised if you frequent my areas in Hingham and Weymouth about sensing someone is watching you.  Its probably me I tend to hide and observe other people until I decide if I want them to know I am out there or not.  Old habits die hard everyone is a potential threat until proven otherwise.  Also cant let other fishermen catch me catching :laugh:  Also I spot lighted a legitimate wolf hybrid about a 100lb animal in fields adjacent to the woods @beerdoh was mentioning for his story so if its not me watching you its probably the wolves.

Not fishing but once during special forces selection land navigation course in 2003 I had a pack of 12-15 wild dogs follow me through the pine forests of North Carolina for over 2 hours in the dark.  I would randomly pick up rocks or sticks and throw them at the pack when they would get closer to me than I like.  With only a pocket knife and a fake M-16 that makes a good club I think if the dogs all came at once I would have been totally screwed.  Now when i see less than 3 sets of eyes it does not even phase me after that experience.  Now wading deeper than knee deep in the water at night after my last run in with a brown shark arms length spooks the hell out of me.  I will never like wading in the dark no matter how many times I do it.  

16 hours ago, Master Debaiter said:

Tonight’s bright moon was a little helpful but I still kept looking over my shoulder LOL.... I usually fish with a friend for companionship and safety but sometimes you want to be alone. I fish in many different environments including bad neighborhoods so I always have my guard up plus growing up in a tough city preps you for many things. Couple years ago I was fishing for tarpon in a lagoon in Puerto Rico and you couldn’t see your hand in your face and every little sound got my attention. Block Island is another creepy place LOL 

Martha's Vineyard - Gay Head, late spring, you've walked over a mile down the beach to get to your spot, incoming tide, you know you have to get back before the tide peaks or you ain't getting back because of the bluffs behind you, and then the fog rolls in.  This is such a creepy spot at night in these conditions.  

4 hours ago, DZ said:

I don't know how the NY gang does it.  I remember that story of a Long island serial killer dumping bodies a number of years back?  

Many were found in areas near the water.  You have to figure the most likely people to around when the bodies are dumped would be surfcasters.

Did they ever find the killer?

Funny thing...or creepy thing...depending on how you look at it - where the bodies were being dumped was EXACTLY where we had the Fall Fling for a dozen or so years - including the period of time when the bodies were popping up :freak:  Literally, right along the same road we would park along to fish different areas. We joked about it...looking back, it was kinda creepy :o  

TimS

Here's a good one that I almost forgot about. I'm fly fishing off a large rock in a fairly well know spot on an island with two trees (hint) in the Bronx.  It's around noon in the summer.  I turn around to change flies (my bag is behind me) and see a guy about 30 feet diagonally behind me completely naked laying out a towel, and then sprawling out on it.  Alright so the dude doesn't want tan lines. Maybe this is his summer spot for some relatively private sunbathing.  I keep fishing.  Some time later, out of the corner of my eye, I see another guy walk up to this dude and they start chatting it up.   Okay this is getting a little weird, but no big deal.  I keep fishing.  I decide to change flies again so I turn around and notice them both in a 69 position with heads bobbing, paying no attention to standing nearby.  I fished a little more and eventually walked out and saw something similar going on on the other side.  I typically only fish this area in the colder months so I assume this is a known gathering spot for certain activities in the summer.