Master Debaiter

Creeped Out

Rate this topic

144 posts in this topic

Was solo fishing in the deep dark night on a lone beach for sharks. Bad enough hauling baits out 300yds in pitch blackness. Was sitting on the beach, you know how it goes, all the little subtle sounds, whispers, wind, waves clicking, cracks and creeps, just sittin there chillin, waiting on the rod to go off when, suddenly, I heard a strange growl-like sound right next to me. Whipped around with the light and low and behold a big fox was flashing it's teeth at me, inches from my shoulder, growling! Yikes!

Seems the bait I had laying around lured it in. Moral of the story is: watch thy back, not only for demons of the night or punk skunk people but wild animals as well. Anything is possible in the dark of night, anything.

Solved most of those fears by packing hollow points. Good feeling  having help when needed :) 

13 hours ago, Master Debaiter said:

I hate those long solo walks in the middle of the night and you’re constantly looking over your shoulder and you’re mind is all over the place. 

No ****. Sometimes I ask myself wtf am I doing out here. 

The other night I was fishing and had my plano box out of my backpack and the wind made it swing open making a weird nose and I jumped like a little bitch lol

I don't know how the NY gang does it.  I remember that story of a Long island serial killer dumping bodies a number of years back?  

Many were found in areas near the water.  You have to figure the most likely people to around when the bodies are dumped would be surfcasters.

Did they ever find the killer?

1 min ago, DZ said:

I don't know how the NY gang does it.  I remember that story of a Long island serial killer dumping bodies a number of years back?  

Many were found in areas near the water.  You have to figure the most likely people to around when the bodies are dumped would be surfcasters.

That's why you fish on the most dangerous rocks you can find. If anyone's coming after you, you'll hear them fall first.

I was fishing early in the morning in NJ, it was really foggy, with the sun just coming up.

Like others something spooked me as I thought I heard breathing and metal noises coming my way.

The noises got lounder as I stared into the dense dark fog.

A few minutes later I'm staring at two large, wide, Pitt Bulls, with huge heads which were also staring and growling at me.

In NJ I can't carry a handgun like I can and do in PA when I fish or hunt.

I do carry Mace/Pepper Spray.

I started to back up slow in an attempt to put some distance between me and the Pitt Bulls.

Luckily a few minutes later this guy shows up and tells me how nice the dogs are, he said both had been beat, and he rescued them.

That's great Pitt Bulls off the leash, not near the owner, on the beach, in the dark and fog growing at me.

Here I am with a fishing pole which could resemble a stick in the minds of the previous abused Pitt Bulls?

If the guy hadn't arrived and they attacked me I guess I would be a dead person in short order.

In our area a Pitt Bull attacked its owner, a neighbor tried to beat it with a twoxfour, finally the police arrived, they Maced it , and finally had to shoot the Pitt Bull. The guy who was attacked died.

Fish the bridge in Duxbury over many years, mostly at night.

Quite a few times it would be pea-soup fog and I'd have the hairs on the back of my neck stand up like I was being shocked, and after checking my perimeter, I'd shrug it off and get back to fishing.

Once had a coyote run behind me, and being a quiet night, I heard its padded footsteps as it passed.

Then there was the time a few years back fishing the canal, and with wind from the west, I saw a column of fog/mist slowly working its way AGAINST the wind along the jetty. This, right after I swear a wader disappeared as he passed behind me while I was casting.

That time I just left.

Heightened senses at night for sure.

Skunk = Skunk

The long walk from Lobsterville to Dogfish bar my head lamp lit up some eyes walking towards me. I'm actually thinking skunk (hey it's the Vineyard) but what surprised me is that when the critter saw me, and  I rattled my keys he didn't change course or stride. I actually took to the water to avoid this brazen critter. Not so much creepy...took a skunk on the bar too. 

Somebody mentioned a Heron squawking, I had the same one night fishing a worm hatch against a lit pier on my boat. You could hear a pin drop. Then all of a sudden two Skimmer birds in tandem came around the pier skimming the worms, (unbeknownst to me) and then practically skimmed right into my hull. The two of them SQUAKED and quickly went vertical up and around my console and head. I didn't know what the hell was going on practically dropping my 8wt set up in the drink and checking my underwear.

A few random thoughts on being spooked in the dark:  There seems to be a new breed of scardy-cats along the Canal the last few years. Dozens of guys with million candlepower headlamps burning the whole time they're fishing.  Even with all the ambient light there.  Next, I think everyone has a bit of night terror that goes back to an ancestral genetic memory of when the dark of night was truly dangerous for small hominids.  While sitting in an forward outpost  at night in Vietnam I used to scan in front of me with my periphial vision counting suspicious shadows.  Every now and then I'd screw the count up and come up with a few new darker spots.....that'll raise the hair on your head.  During my scuba diving decades my absolute favorite dives were night dives.  Walking into some creepy spots to get to the water's edge my head would be on a swivel but once in the black water no problem.  Weird huh?  The only things you could see was what your handlight shined upon.  There was a tunnel vision aspect to it, nothing existed around you but what your light was aimed at.  Oddly comforting.  Of course, with the GW's that are around today I might rethink night diving.

Fished the Susky in a small boat a mile below Conowingo back in the 80s. It was a clear warm night and water level was low and slow. Birds, blue herons and frogs were singing. 

Then the full lunar eclipse started. When it was completely dark all the critters got quiet. You could probably talk to someone standing on the bank which was a quarter mile away. 

Then creepy turned to panic as the sirens started screaming as they opened up a bunch of gates! 

22 mins ago, fishless said:

Try running into Master Debaiter in the middle of the night if you wanna talk about terrifying. 

sloth.jpg

That pic was taken after my visit with the dentist....so happy I had no cavities :witty:

I used to night fish at Sandy Hook in the 70's and we would often bring a beach lounge chair for a snooze while waiting for a tide turn.  Usually dragged the chair up against the jetty rocks.  Awaking to check my watch, I felt something around my legs, turned on my   head light and saw a swarm of rats all around me and on my lap.  Went crazy nuts screaming, tried to get up and landed on top of them.  I actually wet my pants that night.....and never tried that again.

1 hour ago, DZ said:

I held off getting a cell phone until then.  Sore Thumb fishing was just too close for comfort.