Master Debaiter

Creeped Out

Rate this topic

144 posts in this topic

Its funny, I'm very comfortable in the dark and love fishing those dead, windless, foggy and dark nights. I'd also consider myself very comfortable in the woods and the paths I have to walk to access some spots I fish. Sometimes though I'll just get a feeling that creeps me out often in a location that I've fished many times before or in conditions I know I should be comfortable in. As others have said I just never settle in and fish those nights. On these nights this feeling is far more than just being afraid of the dark.

1 hour ago, TheNapeaguePissMan said:

I think you know.... The jersey devil :naughty:

Or maybe this???

10. Pukwudgie

Pukwudgies come from folklore of the Native American Wampanoag Indians. It is a troll-like creature standing only two or three feet tall. They look a lot like humans except their noses, fingers, and ears are quite a bit larger. Their skin is smooth and gray and is sometimes glowing.

According to the lore, they have many extraordinary abilities including: appearing and disappearing at will, transforming into half human and half porcupine, using magic, and creating fire from nothing. You should leave a Pukwudgie alone or it will play endless tricks on you.

The most recent reports of sightings of Pukwudgies have been in the Freedom-Fall River State Forest in Massachusetts, including in the Watuppa Reservation. There have been several unexplained suicides in the park that have been blamed on Pukwudgies pushing people off cliffs.

i fish deep in the night by myself all the time,have had coyotes follow me up and down the beach they have even eaten fish i have thrown up on the beach .that never bothered me.but one night a few weeks ago i got this really weird vibe on the beach and left.the beach was right in the area where a man had been attacked by a GW,another young man died from a GW attack and another young man drowned,and several years prior a gentleman was biten by a GW.it was a very eeire feeling,i did wind up fishing that same beach the last weeks on the cape

I was getting divorced, needed to clear my head a bit. So, of course, I grabbed my fly rod and headed about a mile into the woods to a pond filled with largemouth. They were very cooperative and all over my flies, so I didn't pay much attention to the increasing darkness and overcast sky. I must've caught about 60 bass, mostly small but a few up to about 2 1/2 pounds or so. And it got DARK. I held my hand in front of my face and couldn't see it. I found my way, by feel along the rocky shore of the lake to where it got weedy and spongy, found the dam and crossed it, headed on an angle I knew would bring me to a dirt road. I followed the gutter-like depression on the side where the water ran down when it rained, to where I could see a street light at the cul-de-sac where I parked. Periodically, I'd hear animals making their way through the woods, but couldn't see anything. What should have been a 15 or 20 minute walk took a few hours. I'll never do that again without a light. 

One of my favorite quotes:

"I like night fishing, even though there is a molecule of terror in it.  Maybe it is that tiny bit of terror that I relish, that going mano a mano with another predator in the dark.  I know it's not entirely civilized, but there is nothing to compare to the sizzle of fear..."  Dr. Paul Quinnett

I was back home in Boston fishing last week and I got into a school of bass, mostly schoolies but a few 30” class fish when I started getting the creeps......The rock I was perched on had me in such a position that someone would have to be 2 feet from me before I knew they were there, couple this with the heavy wind blocking any noise and I started getting spooked, Then I saw a light zipping around on top of the water in front of me then shoot off into the woods behind me( almost looked like the lights you see when you’re close to blackout).now I freaking out bad... But I’m also hooking up on every other cast so it was decision time, Needless to say I was out. Next night I’m back there with my brother and the first thing he says is......” I've been through these woods 100 times and it don’t feel right”. We fished and forgot about it but I grew up in this area and never been spooked fishing alone on countless nights, I know people practice voodoo on a nearby beach as I have seen there ritual stuff they left behind........only time it’s ever happened. SPOOKY

1 min ago, john1234 said:

I was back home in Boston fishing last week and I got into a school of bass, mostly schoolies but a few 30” class fish when I started getting the creeps......The rock I was perched on had me in such a position that someone would have to be 2 feet from me before I knew they were there, couple this with the heavy wind blocking any noise and I started getting spooked, Then I saw a light zipping around on top of the water in front of me then shoot off into the woods behind me( almost looked like the lights you see when you’re close to blackout).now I freaking out bad... But I’m also hooking up on every other cast so it was decision time, Needless to say I was out. Next night I’m back there with my brother and the first thing he says is......” I've been through these woods 100 times and it don’t feel right”. We fished and forgot about it but I grew up in this area and never been spooked fishing alone on countless nights, I know people practice voodoo on a nearby beach as I have seen there ritual stuff they left behind........only time it’s ever happened. SPOOKY

I have seen remnants of Santeria at least a dozen of times on the beaches of Queens and Brooklyn over the years.

Could and never will get used to a blue heron "squauuuck!" right behind me on a quiet solo fishing night. Instant jeebs. Wish they quacked, moo'ed or even howled like oddball in Kellys Heros.

4 mins ago, SC said:

I have seen remnants of Santeria at least a dozen of times on the beaches of Queens and Brooklyn over the years.

I’ve found some weird stuff......like circles of coconut shells with chicken legs and feet in the middle some sort of tied up bundles of who knows what and notes , And my neighbor told me a few years back he saw them with a goat down there.  It’s Scary stuff Especially when you step in it a 2AM! Also they have these big nets they walk around the shallows and collect buckets of silversides and mummichogs....

4 mins ago, john1234 said:

I’ve found some weird stuff......like circles of coconut shells with chicken legs and feet in the middle some sort of tied up bundles of who knows what and notes , And my neighbor told me a few years back he saw them with a goat down there.  It’s Scary stuff Especially when you step in it a 2AM! Also they have these big nets they walk around the shallows and collect buckets of silversides and mummichogs....

I have also seen the chickens, goats and makeshift altars but other than thinking it was a bit "different", I never felt intimidated by it

20 mins ago, SlackTideBri said:

Could and never will get used to a blue heron "squauuuck!" right behind me on a quiet solo fishing night. Instant jeebs. Wish they quacked, moo'ed or even howled like oddball in Kellys Heros.

Try having a drawbridge air horn blare its test siren at you by yourself while in pitch dark with no noise around you Haha just as terrifying!