Master Debaiter

Creeped Out

Rate this topic

144 posts in this topic

One night I was fishing the NS. Dead quiet, zero wind, no waves, pitch dark with no moon. I'm walking/wading down a beach. I get to a certain point and had a "something ain't right" moment. Could've swore I saw a mist in the dark. Turned around and smelled perfume. Walked faster, stop to cast a bit, got a chill up my whole body followed by a LOUD hum/buzz in my ear (there were no bugs, not even skeeters). Yeah I high tailed it to the truck and left after that.

I feel ya.

I fish alone at night quite a bit, every once in a while i fill with dread. I cant explain it, places I have been hundreds of times all of a sudden feel like I shouldn't be there.

I have zero fear of animals and little fear of humans so it's not that. I never leave because of it but I never settle in on those nights. 

North Shore last year I was walking down a long hill to what appeared to be some eyes in the distance in the bushes. Figured it was some coons or other animal. As I got closer the eyes seemed more and more human. I told myself I am just going to walk as fast as I could passed,and then it happened I was so focused on the bushes my pole snagged a branch. I really thought about leaving it and running. Clipped the Line and left it there with a T.A clip hanging. Went fishing but couldn’t enjoy it knowing I had to pass back on the way home.

Heavy mist, or worse a fog, always give me the jitters on moonless nights. My eyes never seem to be able to adjust. Everything seems “heavy” and I always feel like someone’s right behind me. Having a hard time getting your bearings, can play with your mind.

I have found that usually when you feel like you should not be in a certain place, it is a good idea to leave. We have an inborn instinct towards survival and that instinct will never lie or mislead you.

To many cryptids out there in the woodlands, sometimes the only way you know they are in your area is when your hair stands up on the back of your neck for no obvious reason or you are overcome with an unexplainable dread or fear while in a location that you normally feel comfortable in. Normal animals like bear, wolves, yotes, etc... don't cause these sensations.

The sensation comes from the same way we might feel someone watching us and just to turn around and find out someone is actually watching us.

Few years back we were overnighting in the Wilimington.  32' center console.  It was enough boat, but not exactly a monster.  Dead flat slick calm, no drift, no moon, and the weird part was not one single other boat.  Could not figure out how it could be possible that on a flat night there literally was not one single other boat in the canyon.  Word was out there was a seaweed issue in that canyon, but still, come on, not one other boat?

About 3am, 2 of the other 3 guys were sound asleep in the front, me and the other guy were chunking in the back with the green light, and for some reason, things just got really quiet.  Stopped talking, stopped feeding out a free spooled chunk, all the lights were out, just kind of went into a bit of a daze staring at the green glow.............  Total dead silence.

Was probably really only a few seconds, but out of nowhere I just got this creepy feeling of "what the hell are we doing all alone out here like this?!?", looked at my friend and said "dude, this is kind of weird out here tonight," and he responded, "yeah, it's freaky........ why did you stop feeding out that chunk?"

After that it was all good, but for a few second there, yeah, "creepy."

Tonight’s bright moon was a little helpful but I still kept looking over my shoulder LOL.... I usually fish with a friend for companionship and safety but sometimes you want to be alone. I fish in many different environments including bad neighborhoods so I always have my guard up plus growing up in a tough city preps you for many things. Couple years ago I was fishing for tarpon in a lagoon in Puerto Rico and you couldn’t see your hand in your face and every little sound got my attention. Block Island is another creepy place LOL 

A spot I frequently fish is about a mile hike from where I park. One time I was walking back at 2am and I heard some rustling bushes up ahead. No problem, could be a coon or something. I get a little closer and as I reach where I thought I heard the sound, and I hear something HUGE running up a very steep and heavily wooded hill. I drew my knife (after almost crapping myself) before flashing my light in that direction. Turns out it was just a massive buck seemingly defying gravity. 

I also fish near people's houses a lot, and often catch them staring. Always skeeves me out, but catching fish takes my mind off it.

2 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

To many cryptids out there in the woodlands, sometimes the only way you know they are in your area is when your hair stands up on the back of your neck for no obvious reason or you are overcome with an unexplainable dread or fear while in a location that you normally feel comfortable in. Normal animals like bear, wolves, yotes, etc... don't cause these sensations.

So what are you suggesting...... :eek:

I was fishing this desolate beach at 3am.  Not a soul around.  There were mounds of sand at ends of each hole.  I tried to focus on my plug but my peripheral vision kept noticing movement to my right. I kept fishing nevertheless.  As I continued working my way to the next hole I noticed the movement again but this time it was more pronounced.  I stopped fishing for a moment and just starred down the beach to see if the movement happened again.  Then all of a sudden I see this massive bull sea lion emerge from the darkness waddling on the beach in my direction .  Considering it’s size it was moving pretty quick.  At that moment I almost layed a snickers bar in waders...