Dock water off. How to flush engine?

Rate this topic

59 mins ago, ferret said:

How hard is it to flush with modern outboard? After I pull in and tie off, it takes 2 minutes to grab the hose and connect to the motor and turn on the water, by the time I'm done removing gear/trash/fish and cleaning the boat the motor is flushed and I now need the hose the rise off the boat anyways.  I figure, might as well flush out as much salt as possible before the water gets turned off.

My routine as well.  This is all compounded by the fact that a friend and I share/split the boat.  He doesn’t fish and would prefer to have pulled it by now.  So, I don’t want to be the one to cost us both money.  

So either trailer it when you want to fish or move it to another marina for a few weeks.........it's what most do.

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

Especially on the Yammi 225's...........seemed to be effected. 

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

You're probably fine for another month or so, but if you want to flush it after every use (I do), then how about a cheap $10 pond pump off Amazon, a short length of hose, and a bucket of freshwater from the house?  I use the setup in this picture to pump out my fish box and fish tanks, but there's no reason you can't just drop the pump in a bucket of water the way I drop it in the tank.  I put the orange adapter on the end for the picture.

I'm assuming you have power out on the dock?  Run an extension cord from the house, just for the flush if need be?

20181024_125322.jpg.9db08e4d0ee3234e0d246858cf557259.jpg

3 hours ago, AlwaysWading said:

I wonder if you could buy a winterization kit and do it that way.

818wj%2B7ZYBL._SL1500_.jpg

1 hour ago, JoeyZac said:

You're probably fine for another month or so, but if you want to flush it after every use (I do), then how about a cheap $10 pond pump off Amazon, a short length of hose, and a bucket of freshwater from the house?  I use the setup in this picture to pump out my fish box and fish tanks, but there's no reason you can't just drop the pump in a bucket of water the way I drop it in the tank.  I put the orange adapter on the end for the picture.

I'm assuming you have power out on the dock?  Run an extension cord from the house, just for the flush if need be?

20181024_125322.jpg.9db08e4d0ee3234e0d246858cf557259.jpg

Yes guys!  Thank you...this will totally work. 

3 hours ago, LateralLineSider said:

Yes guys!  Thank you...this will totally work. 

It look to me like the winterization kit may be a gravity feed only?

The pond pump will actually apply pressure and force the fresh water through the heads.

Here’s your answer. I bought one specifically for the situation you’re in as my marina sometimes shuts off the water early too. The Rinse Kit holds just enough water to do a quick flush of my motor (about 2 gallons I think). Best of all it requires no power - there’s some sort of spring loaded bladder inside. A little pricey at $90 but worth it IMO. 

FE3DBBB5-384B-4E05-9DF6-C919D34EE34D.jpeg.a67cc30410f7d3f58065594757dfd80e.jpeg

2 hours ago, vinnyb said:

Here’s your answer. I bought one specifically for the situation you’re in as my marina sometimes shuts off the water early too. The Rinse Kit holds just enough water to do a quick flush of my motor (about 2 gallons I think). Best of all it requires no power - there’s some sort of spring loaded bladder inside. A little pricey at $90 but worth it IMO. 

FE3DBBB5-384B-4E05-9DF6-C919D34EE34D.jpeg.a67cc30410f7d3f58065594757dfd80e.jpeg

Good call, I've seen that before for rinsing tackle, waders, etc.  definitely worth looking into.  I might be able to justify cost if I can come up with some other uses.  I'll check it out, thanks. 

1 hour ago, 757saltwater said:

Do you have a freshwater hose down on the boat if so usev that. A five gallon bucket  of water on each trip and use a 12volt pump or a old bilge to run it . You might be able to make a gravity feed system not sure if it will be enough pressure though to run thur the engine.

Seems like this is the best place to start.  Cheap and should work.  

39 mins ago, makorider said:

You are polevaulting over mouse turds.  Really.

Great saying, have to remember this. I think the manufacturers should have figured out there will be a spectrum of care from never flushing to the super diligent, and engineered their motors to survive. I have a friend with a center console, and a Johnson maybe 100 HP, he's had the boat for 15 years or more, never rinses it and has never changed the impeller ( according to him). Motor still starts and the runs well enough to get him to his sailboat on a mooring. I think if you can rinse the motor, for sure, do it. Probably help the impeller and thermostats last longer, by flushing sand and salt. But missing this for a few weeks/trips is likely not going to corrode your motor or void your warranty.