albacized

Kick offs that goes out of bounds - something I never knew

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Obviously if the kicker flat out kicks the ball out of bounds, it's a penalty. However, I'm watching the KC/Cinn game and saw a new twist to this...if the ball is kicked close enough to the sideline, so that the kick return man can reach out and touch the ball while he is standing out of bounds, the ball is deemed to be kicked out of bounds...even if the ball itself never crossed the sideline...kind of bizarre in my opinion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, albacized said:

Obviously if the kicker flat out kicks the ball out of bounds, it's a penalty. However, I'm watching the KC/Cinn game and saw a new twist to this...if the ball is kicked close enough to the sideline, so that the kick return man can reach out and touch the ball while he is standing out of bounds, the ball is deemed to be kicked out of bounds...even if the ball itself never crossed the sideline...kind of bizarre in my opinion

That was pretty bizarre. I’ve never seen or heard of that. Great coaching on special teams. 

How the hell does Michaels and Collins know that right away?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, albacized said:

Obviously if the kicker flat out kicks the ball out of bounds, it's a penalty. However, I'm watching the KC/Cinn game and saw a new twist to this...if the ball is kicked close enough to the sideline, so that the kick return man can reach out and touch the ball while he is standing out of bounds, the ball is deemed to be kicked out of bounds...even if the ball itself never crossed the sideline...kind of bizarre in my opinion

 

How is that not an "Illegal Touch?"

 

Doesn't any player that voluntarily goes out of bounds have to reestablish themselves in bounds before they can touch a live ball?

Markushook likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

 

How is that not an "Illegal Touch?"

 

Doesn't any player that voluntarily goes out of bounds have to reestablish themselves in bounds before they can touch a live ball?

Not sure if you saw it, he actually intentionally went out of bounds to pick it up. Refs immediately called a penalty on the kicking team and announcers said great play. 

Head scratcher for sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exploiting the rules for team advantage.

Probably something the rules dudes never considered when they made the rule.

 

If the Patriots did this the world would be up in arms saying BB cheating again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

Not sure if you saw it, he actually intentionally went out of bounds to pick it up. Refs immediately called a penalty on the kicking team and announcers said great play. 

Head scratcher for sure!

 

Didn't see it.  Was only going off of what was described in the OP.

 

That rule, as explained, makes no sense to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

 

Didn't see it.  Was only going off of what was described in the OP.

 

That rule, as explained, makes no sense to me.

I’ve been texting with my friends since then, and nobody will agree on the ruling. 

Nobody has seen it before. 

Probably be tomorrow to hear a rational explanation. 

Edited by PlumFishing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't think of any play in football where an out of bounds player can touch a live ball and it is not somehow penalized to the detriment of that team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, JoeyZac said:

I can't think of any play in football where an out of bounds player can touch a live ball and it is not somehow penalized to the detriment of that team.

Oddly enough my friend did raise a scenario where Pats David Patton (I think it was someone else) was knocked unconscious on a fumble and while he was OOB his foot was somehow on the ball which was in play and they called it Pats ball. It was in the playoffs, have to try and dig up video. 

May have been 2007 or so. 

 

Edited by PlumFishing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to find more.  I don't remember this play.

 

 

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. - David Patten was unconscious, lying on the cold Ralph Wilson Stadium turf, his head out of bounds, the rest of his body inbounds. The ball was beneath his legs after safety Keion Carpenter had blasted him following a 13-yard reception from Tom Brady.

 

It was 9-9 in overtime in a divisional game that meant everything to the Patriots, and much less to the Bills, but Buffalo jerseys came flying out of nowhere toward the loose ball, and Nate Clements grabbed it.

 

It appeared Patten had fumbled after making a catch at the Buffalo 41. Patten was unconscious for approximately 10 seconds, and when he finally came to, the officials were running around, and the Bills were claiming they’d recovered a fumble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, found more.

 

There was no change of possession here.  Patten caught it, fumbled a ball he possessed, and was deemed to go out bounds with it.  He didn't leave the field of play and then come back in illegally.  (imo)

 

 

 

Initially ruled a fumble, Referee Mike Carey reversed the call, determining by a video review that Patten's head was out of bounds while the ball remained loose under his leg. Patten could not comment on the call. Carpenter's hit knocked him unconscious.

 

''I didn't know where I was; I could have been in Czechoslovakia,'' Patten said. ''I thought I let the team down, but the replay was one thing that went our way.''

 

Carey said the video review was indisputable. ''By rule, if a loose ball touches anything that is out of bounds, it is itself out of bounds,'' he said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, PlumFishing said:

That was pretty bizarre. I’ve never seen or heard of that. Great coaching on special teams. 

How the hell does Michaels and Collins know that right away?  

 

They each have a staff of 5 people, handing them stuff, data, records, trivia,  rules and previous rulings etc

 

A family friend used to be part of the broadcast team, now he does the same but for the patriots not for the broadcast booth. His job now is to know to the smallest detail of every player, including practice squads two weeks in advance of the game. Are they right handed or left handed, recent injuries, tendencies.

The guy is wired for stats and detailed, machine like, he works with Ernie Adams

Edited by iphish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.