gary.Hb

Recommendations for wading boots for the california coast

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Guy's I can't wear a boot foot wader, nothing fits my size. I do however have a pair of stocking foot waders that work well, now I need some boots to go along with them. any suggestions?

thanks,

Gary

I like the neoprene boots with rubber soles.  I am not sure who make them now, but I have a couple of pairs from Cabelas.  I've had ones with zippers on the front, side and rear and like the ones with zips on the side the best.  The ones in the front seem to loosen up as you walk. 

I got the Soft Science Terrafin. They are light and comfortable. A lot of sand gets in though. Not sure is that's typical for boots. It's my first wader/boot pair.

1 hour ago, rxx2 said:

I got the Soft Science Terrafin. They are light and comfortable. A lot of sand gets in though. Not sure is that's typical for boots. It's my first wader/boot pair.

I get a lot of pop up adds for this company... I don't know any thing about them, but they have some nice looking equipment... What do you know about them?.... Sorry about the post jack....

Butch

They were easy to deal with!

I had to return my first order for a bigger size.

Sent them back and they sent out the bigger size quickly.

I love my Korkers wade boots with the interchangeable soles.  You can use the lug soles for beaches,  spikes for fishing the rocks and felt for river fishing.  

Thanks for the reply's I'm going to try a pair of the terrafin boots I like the idea of a lightweight as I seem to walk on average 5-6 miles each time out.

much appreciated.

Surf Hunter, I agree about the Korkers but they are heavy I tried a pair. I can, however, buy the sandal version with the spikes to go over any boot which I think is a good idea for our rocks out here.

I fish on sand and find that boots get too much sand inside. I wear surf booties or fats booties, without zippers if possible. Sand will make the zippers get stuck permanently. 

I thought about the flats boots from Bass Pro. The size I got were too small though and it's a pain to get down there to exchange them so I did it all via mail with the Terrafins.

I should get down there to exchange them for a bigger size. Less sand in them than boots huh. You're using a stockingfoot wader?

Yes, I'm using a stocking foot wader, I went with surf hunters advice and ordered the Korkers, I like the idea of being able to change the soles depending on where I'm fishing. Plus if I don't like them I'm sure I can sell them and try something different. Anybody use them and can speak to the sand issues? 

thanks, rx2 I'd really appreciate your feedback as I like the idea of the weight or these but I wonder about the sand issues.

13 hours ago, rxx2 said:

I'm gonna get some flats boots.

I'll report back after a few outings.

Like Stu said, don't get the ones with zippers, the sand will destroy them.  Speaking of sand, I do not get sand in my Korkers at all, they seem to cinch up very well to my stocking foot waders and with the gravel guards, they see, to work great.  When I used flats boots, I always got sand in them. 

I guess your results may vary.

I use stockingfoot waders and wading boots. I don't have to much issue with sand getting in the boot. I think it has more to do with how you stand and how you move that allows sand to get into the boot. I never stand in one place longer than the time it takes to reel in a cast. I never leave my feet set to the point the boots start to sink into the beach. I am typically moving forward as I prepare to cast, and moving backward as the plug flies and holding the higher ground as the plug swims. I don't wade out to bars or really even past my knees on the open beach. I also tie up my boot laces tight and keep the waders gravel guard down over the top of the boot at all times. Even doing all this sand still gets in.. but never enough to become uncomfortable or really even notice the sand between my foot and the boot.