bengardner

Wind how much is too much

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

22 mins ago, 27conch said:

Not sure I understand the question?  Too much wind for what exactly??

I think he’s asking to rough to cast. I would think only if it’s so windy the waves are breaking into where you are tying to stand 

I was out today, and almost embarrassed to speak about catching fish (at least the size of em)

it always depends on where you are fishing. for me 

I have spots in the western sound where I can use this wind, I caught today but its relative to the what my expectations are with regard to conditions.

I wouldn't have even thought about the south shore of Long Island today, although there are guys who have their spots down there, so there is always a place to fish is what I am saying.

What I will say no matter where you are is is you need a spot where you are either casting directly into the wind or its directly at you back.

Any crosswind creates that bow, that make you presentation useless until its in some down wind quadrant for your bait. Whether is a top water presentation or whether is a bucktail as always just my .02

Talking in terms of sustained wind here. Generally, 20-30mph is fine, 30-40 is pushing it but can be done depending on direction and water clarity, and at 40+ I probably won't even bother. The final decision always comes to the water clarity though. If it ain't chocolate milk and I can cast, I'll fish. 

On a side note, I really prefer 10-20mph winds as they're strong enough to really get water moving and set up some opportunities for you, but weak enough to allow you to do as you please relatively uninhibited. 

My moto 20 in your face is the place. Big white water  creating the oxygen rich water in the wash, I have caught so many fish at the lip of the beach, I’ll take that wind any day 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I hit several spots today and the wind was too much in two spots, but no problem whatsoever in the last spot (based on location, not wind speed or direction)...

(edit to add), but with that said, I had to give up on a shorebased albie spot that was blown up and settle for a small striper outing

Edited by albacized

When I broke in it was impressed upon me "wind in your face, fish at your feet".  Pretty much has held true