StackedUp

Van Staal VR vs. VS Series

Rate this topic

106 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I'm going to purchase a new Van Staal reel but I can't see the reasoning for going with the more expensive VS series when the way cheaper VR series seems to have the same bells and whistles. What am I missing?

I can only attest to the VS which I reel under water and dunk often. I don’t beat them on rocks and service them yearly. I don’t quote fish it hard like a lot of guys do but I wanted a reel that will withstand saltwater abuse. So I own VS reels not the VSX, yes the line laying is hour glass shaped and the drag isn’t the best. But they work for me good luck with your decision. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I can't agree with you more StakedUp!  The VR is way more versatile for the average user.

I own both.

The VR is my go to reel on the beach to the point that I may sell my VSX.

Edited by recoil

Depends how you plan to use the reel. Beach guys I know love them and rock hoppers and swimmers, not so much. Sold mine.  Have one VS I very much enjoy. Worth the money. Love my TRQ also.

3 mins ago, Lateral Line said:

Love my TRQ also

The Torque is a better reel than the VS :) Alan Hawk loved the first gen. So far I have not heard any of his comments on Gen 2.

Anyway, to answer the OP’s question. Alan Hawk has written on his website that there is no reason to buy the VS because the VR is just as good. Can you imagine? I always thought the VR series sucked, but maybe Alan is on to something. 

7 mins ago, Tagman said:

The Torque is a better reel than the VS :) Alan Hawk loved the first gen. So far I have not heard any of his comments on Gen 2.

Anyway, to answer the OP’s question. Alan Hawk has written on his website that there is no reason to buy the VS because the VR is just as good. Can you imagine? I always thought the VR series sucked, but maybe Alan is on to something. 

you must be choosing to not listen then... IF you want I can dig them up but they're not really very positive and I think you know that already.

AH's opinion when it comes to surf stuff isn't worth all that much. The vr is a decent reel for it's price range but it's not the vs/vsx. I am fortunate, I can fish with just about any tackle that I want. The vr is not something that I would choose to fish with for the fishing that I do.

2 mins ago, Drew C. said:

you must be choosing to not listen then... IF you want I can dig them up but they're not really very positive and I think you know that already.

AH's opinion when it comes to surf stuff isn't worth all that much. The vr is a decent reel for it's price range but it's not the vs/vsx. I am fortunate, I can fish with just about any tackle that I want. The vr is not something that I would choose to fish with for the fishing that I do.

Know what Drew, look up those reviews on the Torque 2 for me will ya? I can’t seem to find them. Thanks

I agree with you about AH’s reviews on surf products. Since I find the Torque Gen 1 and gen 2 to be very worthy and superior surf reels and offshore reels, I would have to disagree with a negative AH review on them. 

As for the VR, it took all of 10 seconds of me picking one up that I knew it was not even close to the VS. I just like you consider myself very fortunate to own and fish the best of the best. I have or had them all. Rods and reels. We all have our favorites.