Reel match for ODM DNA 9ft 1/2-3 oz rod

Rate this topic

FishnDucks

Looking for your opinions based on your experience with this rod. Had on in hand today and it felt great. I'd like to buy one for my lighter surf work like fluke, small bass and blues and albies when they show. 

The ODM DNA is 9 ft with a rating of 1/2 oz to 3 oz lure. I would use 20# braid with it. I'm looking for opinions on a spinning reel that will balance out this rod. My two thought were a Penn Slammer III 4500 or a Daiwa Saltist 4500. I'm sure many will offer the venerable Van Staal 150 but I honestly do not want to spend $500+ dollars on a reel.

What other reels do you gents feel is a good match to this rod?

Thanks for your input.

Most of the 4000-5000 size reels will match well. I have the 9ft Genesis/VR150 and its my fav rod. If you need a reel with decent seals for the surf than that greatly narrows down the list. I see Slammer3 recommendations but im not a fan of them at all. Slammer3 4500&5500 have auto bails so they are out. Manual bail is a necessity for plugging setups. ( not to mention the Slammer3 5500 is 22.40oz & 6500 is 24.40oz and both reels are really bulky with the 6500 not even being an option for plugging.

Check Out:

Shimano Saragossa

Penn Clash- I love this reel its great

Penn Conflicts. 

Edited by jsbergen

16 hours ago, FishnDucks said:

Looking for your opinions based on your experience with this rod. Had on in hand today and it felt great. I'd like to buy one for my lighter surf work like fluke, small bass and blues and albies when they show. 

The ODM DNA is 9 ft with a rating of 1/2 oz to 3 oz lure. I would use 20# braid with it. I'm looking for opinions on a spinning reel that will balance out this rod. My two thought were a Penn Slammer III 4500 or a Daiwa Saltist 4500. I'm sure many will offer the venerable Van Staal 150 but I honestly do not want to spend $500+ dollars on a reel.

What other reels do you gents feel is a good match to this rod?

Thanks for your input.

Not to hi-jack the thread ... but is the ODM DNA 9 footer similar in the weight and action of the 9 footer ODM Genesis surf rod? I've touched the Genesis in a store and then the DNA rods came out. I was really impressed with the light & fast Genesis 9ft rod. Its price impressed me too in a negative way.

If it were me and the 9ft DNA was similar to the 9ft Genesis (weight in hand) ... I would go with the new Penn Spinfisher VI 4500. I have one on order as I write this with J&H (they have a nice reel comparison function to use). The whole point being .... getting a really good "price vs performance vs balanced tackle" solution. The new Spinfisher VI 4500 is lighter than the Gosa / Spheros reels ... and lighter than the Slammer III 4500. It will hold 300 yds of 20lbs braid ... reasonably water-proofed and priced.

But we'll see .... I won't have that reel in hand until November sometime.

RockfishOn!! :cool:

Seams like you chose a couple nice reels to suit yours needs, with a line retrieve of 40 - 44.5" per crank, you will not have to work to hard at getting the line retrieve for those Albies.

Now you have to decide what reel works best on the abuse you will be giving it, and how smooth of a feel you prefer. It all comes at a cost.

1 hour ago, KironaFly said:

Not to hi-jack the thread ... but is the ODM DNA 9 footer similar in the weight and action of the 9 footer ODM Genesis surf rod? I've touched the Genesis in a store and then the DNA rods came out. I was really impressed with the light & fast Genesis 9ft rod. Its price impressed me too in a negative way.

If it were me and the 9ft DNA was similar to the 9ft Genesis (weight in hand) ... I would go with the new Penn Spinfisher VI 4500. I have one on order as I write this with J&H (they have a nice reel comparison function to use). The whole point being .... getting a really good "price vs performance vs balanced tackle" solution. The new Spinfisher VI 4500 is lighter than the Gosa / Spheros reels ... and lighter than the Slammer III 4500. It will hold 300 yds of 20lbs braid ... reasonably water-proofed and priced.

But we'll see .... I won't have that reel in hand until November sometime.

The Genesis is $100 more expensive($345) than the ODM DNA($245) but feel quite similar and I'm not exactly sure what the $100 difference gives me in the way of a better performing rod.. I'm having a custom rod builder here in NJ (Bob Hryzsko@Grumpy's Tackle) build me a custom ODM Frontier X 1-4oz rod measured to my exact size and casting style. My first ever custom rod. This rod will replace my current surf rod but I am looking for a smaller, lighter surf rod that isn't going to be throwing heavy plugs and bucktails hence, the ODM DNA. Two rod for all my beach work except chunking. 

The Spinfisher VI is getting very good reviews so far and although I've never had one in hand yet, I'll definitely give it a feel next time I'm at the store. I want lighter, so I like the fact that it weighs less than the Shimanos and other Penns. Thanks for the feedback Kirona...it's very much appreciated.

Thank you to all of you who posted your opinions and experiences with the reels you mentioned. Greatly appreciated on my part and I will try them at the store on the rod to see how the weight/balance feels with the rod. I know the Van Staal 100 and 150 are outstanding choices for the rod but I'm dropping a big chunk of coin$ on my first custom built surf rod which is an ODM Frontier X blank fit to me etc. and my son started surf fishing with me last year and is HOOKED big time! Sooooooo as a good dad, I outfitted him this year with everything he needs to be dry, comfortable and well prepared and all the tackle, surf bag, waders, rod/reel. My wife is going to cut my you know whats off if I drop any more big bucks this year on stuff!!! So, I'm going to keep the reel price down around the rod price to keep the peace. 

Once I sell off a lot of other gear I will probably take the cash and buy a Van Staal for the rod but in the meantime I'm going to behave!:angel: Thanks guys for all your input!