Ryan08rb

Lake Nockamixion

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hello everybody just moved a few months ago close to Nockamixion and herd there are big stripers and hybrids in there! I was wondering if anyone has any information on fishing for them on the lake. Like can you catch them from the bank or do you need a boat what plugs and bait to use etc. I will be doing mostly bank fishing because I do not have a boat. Thanks for any help!! 

I have waded the banks and also used a canoe. It's a hot or cold lake. I feel like I either catch or don't catch. I have not caught a hybrid bass there but I've done well on largemouths. 

Nockamixon is a difficult lake, its heavily fished and they have a tournament there every thursday afternoon for the whole summer. That being said, i have had a ton of fun on my new kayak this year fishing the lake back in the coves where the boats tend not to go. Throwing spooks at dusk/dawn and then plastics during the day. I also have not caught a hybrid out of there but have caught Bass, muskie, crappy and walleye. Try the bridges if your going to wade, as most of the lake is difficult to access on foot. 

my largest lmb 8lb came on a dear hair  fly july 4 about 15 years ago for stripers spill way is good from land when water is released also good for tiger musky, walleyes  for hybrids stripers jig with bucktail by dam from boat this time of year having a blade on it like a road runner has will help

Late reply.  The primary baitfish in the Nock is Alewife.  They migrate up and down the middle of the lake.  You see huge clouds on the depthfinder.  Strippers follow them.  I don't know anyone who regularly targets them successfully.  You can find bass from shore.  Especially prespawn and into late June.  After that more early morning or late evening.  Pickerel in the fall.  The lake gets a lot of nutrients so by late June the weeds are up most of the way around the lake.  Makes shore fishing difficult.  I'd suggest finding points on old hydro graphs (a couple companies used to sell maps) and fishing from them.  There are a number on the north side that have good drop-offs and less weeds.

I used to be on the lake at least one day a week with my boat.  As noted above it's a good lake for canoe/kayaking.

Edited by Steve_in_PA

I just picked up a Hobie Revo and will be fishing here heavily this fall. My target will be the Muskies first then Bass.  I know how to get walleye from the river but I'm a newb to big lake fishing. 

1 hour ago, ridenfish said:

I just picked up a Hobie Revo and will be fishing here heavily this fall. My target will be the Muskies first then Bass.  I know how to get walleye from the river but I'm a newb to big lake fishing. 

I'd work the two eastward fingers off the Haycock leg for Muskies.  Fall patterns will have the Muskies and pickerel in the weedbeds.  I don't target either but tend to learn the patterns when I catch them by mistake.  The baitfish move into creek arms in fall.

Haycock ramp is favorable for kayaks.  Actually the whole lake is great for canoes and kayaks.  Break the lake into sections.  Haycock arm, Three Mile Run arm, Tohicken arm.  Do the same for the main body of the lake.  If you search the internet you can find hydrographic maps of the lake   There is even an out of production DVD around for bass.  But it gives a good overview of the structure.  Lot's of points, sunken roadbeds, house foundations.

You need a state permit to get on the lake.  You can get them at the marina office or Dave's fishing shop on 611 just above Doylestown.  That's a good shop for bait or last minute tackle.  (Also an Orvis fly shop.)

10 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

I'd work the two eastward fingers off the Haycock leg for Muskies.  Fall patterns will have the Muskies and pickerel in the weedbeds.  I don't target either but tend to learn the patterns when I catch them by mistake.  The baitfish move into creek arms in fall.

Haycock ramp is favorable for kayaks.  Actually the whole lake is great for canoes and kayaks.  Break the lake into sections.  Haycock arm, Three Mile Run arm, Tohicken arm.  Do the same for the main body of the lake.  If you search the internet you can find hydrographic maps of the lake   There is even an out of production DVD around for bass.  But it gives a good overview of the structure.  Lot's of points, sunken roadbeds, house foundations.

You need a state permit to get on the lake.  You can get them at the marina office or Dave's fishing shop on 611 just above Doylestown.  That's a good shop for bait or last minute tackle.  (Also an Orvis fly shop.)

Thanks !   I’ve been to Dave’s many time.  Nice people there.  

Gonna grab the permit this weekend.  I’m gonna fish hard til the ice sets in.  Goal is a 40” plus Muskie before the new year.  Hopefully I can learn the patterns quick.  I’ve watched all the videos I could find in the lake so far.  

Ill troll weed edges and cast out the coves.  Just need some cooler weather and for the summer crew to go away lol

I am sick of picking up trash there. It wasnt like that not long ago. A member found a 100 foot trot line in there with 75 hooks on it this past weekend. Dead turtles and cats on it.

17 mins ago, fishing pete said:

I am sick of picking up trash there. It wasnt like that not long ago. A member found a 100 foot trot line in there with 75 hooks on it this past weekend. Dead turtles and cats on it.

What?  That’s awful!  Thanks for posting this. I’ll be sure to share this in the waterfowling community.  I’d be beyond angry if a dog got tangled up in that mess. 

16 hours ago, fishing pete said:

The park areas are turning into quite a zoo on the weekends.  Officers are now doing weekend patrols in pairs.  Most picnic areas have people swimming even though it's posted against.  I've seen people taking little kids well out on kayaks with no life jackets. 

Apparently people come down from NYC because it's free.  Seems odd as the gas costs more than entrance fee in NY and NJ parks that are closer. 

All resources are "enjoyed" to the fullest interpretation of the actual law, if actually known by the individual. Also, I'll assume any official posting re: regs are in the English language.

Oh and re: fuel prices - money is no object when it comes to "enjoying" available resources.

I see this all along the Delaware and growing along the NYC reservoirs.

These are our newcomers. It's like a bad movie. Invade, exploit, destroy and move on to the next resource. 

Rinse and repeat.

3 hours ago, Lateral Line said:

All resources are "enjoyed" to the fullest interpretation of the actual law, if actually known by the individual. Also, I'll assume any official posting re: regs are in the English language.

Oh and re: fuel prices - money is no object when it comes to "enjoying" available resources.

I see this all along the Delaware and growing along the NYC reservoirs.

These are our newcomers. It's like a bad movie. Invade, exploit, destroy and move on to the next resource. 

Rinse and repeat.

The signs are also in Spanish.  Which, from what I've seen, is the required language.  At Peace Valley they haul so many picnic tables onto the docks that one can't get out of the boat.  If you tie up to get the trailer good luck with anything remaining of value when you get back.  Peace Valley is currently having a wave of vehicle break ins while owners are out boating.

On 10/3/2019 at 0:44 PM, Steve_in_PA said:

The signs are also in Spanish.  Which, from what I've seen, is the required language.  At Peace Valley they haul so many picnic tables onto the docks that one can't get out of the boat.  If you tie up to get the trailer good luck with anything remaining of value when you get back.  Peace Valley is currently having a wave of vehicle break ins while owners are out boating.

I would love to get my hands on those pricks.

I have heard all of the local lakes are having problems with vehicle brake ins . Its hunting season. We have guns with us now. lol

On 9/30/2019 at 2:10 PM, D1fishr said:

What?  That’s awful!  Thanks for posting this. I’ll be sure to share this in the waterfowling community.  I’d be beyond angry if a dog got tangled up in that mess. 

We clean up fishing line there. Its bad. we have to clean up just so we can fish with out tripping over junk.