night owl

When people are friendly only to steal your knowledge

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

There are lots of vultures out there who just wanna steal what you know. They especially want your spots. In a moment they will take what took you decades to learn. And it's amazing how far they will go to get it. They will take everything they can. Then when they think the well is dry, they just disappear. 

 

FISH IS MONEY. This is why the currency of many countries is still called "Peso". Peso means FISH. So these theives want your Pesos. Get it?

 

So..... Tell me how you deal with these people or some funny stories of how you've dealt with them. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(I'm just bustin.  I share tchnique and gear and timing advice freely.  I no longer share spots / location with strangers, following a rather public spot burn I learned my lesson.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, 55555s said:

(I'm just bustin.  I share tchnique and gear and timing advice freely.  I no longer share spots / location with strangers, following a rather public spot burn I learned my lesson.)

 

Good answer. I'm similar.

 

I do like helping amateurs. In fact correcting their errors can reduce fish mortality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, 55555s said:

(I'm just bustin.  I share tchnique and gear and timing advice freely.  I no longer share spots / location with strangers, following a rather public spot burn I learned my lesson.)

X 2 . I do the same as 55555s. Share some knowledge but no spot's till I know you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, hunter123 said:

Share some knowledge but no spot's till I know you. 

 

That's the thing.... Some guys are very deceptive. When they have something to gain, they always have their best foot forward. They're obviously not gonna tell you they're using you. You gotta sniff this out. That's one of the reasons why I started this thread. 

 

One way to test them is simply stopping the flow of fish catching information. They'll leave you alone real quick. Trust me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

No need to try and steal anything. Chest beating, look-at-me-loudmouths can't wait to spill their guts. Keep your mouth shut and ears open is the method that will always work. Some people seem quite enamored with themselves and their self-perceived abilities.

Edited by SC
slip n slide and TheKnot like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, SC said:

Keep your mouth shut and ears open is the method that will always work. 

 

I agree. My father always taught me that I have two ears and only one mouth. Words of wisdom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't talk to strangers.  Easy Game!  

 

Also, in what language does "peso" mean "fish?" Or are you joking??

 

Lastly, what beach/date/time were you fishing when you caught 20-40 pounders on every cast?!  :witty: :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 mins ago, night owl said:

 

That's the thing.... Some guys are very deceptive. When they have something to gain, they always have their best foot forward. They're obviously not gonna tell you they're using you. You gotta sniff this out. That's one of the reasons why I started this thread. 

 

One way to test them is simply stopping the flow of fish catching information. They'll leave you alone real quick. Trust me. 

Very good way to find out. I stop when I'm getting pumped for were to fish to much. If asked at someplace like the IRI I just say anywhere along here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, TLap21 said:

I don't talk to strangers.  Easy Game!  

 

Also, in what language does "peso" mean "fish?" Or are you joking??

 

Lastly, what beach/date/time were you fishing when you caught 20-40 pounders on every cast?!  :witty: :D

Exactly, you don't owe anyone anything , fishing is one time where being a  misanthrope pays off. 1 good fishing buddy is better than a horde of followers.

TLap21 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

loose lips sink ships, I share intel with  a few guys ,individually, and they do the same. Creature hours, lights out, park and walk , especially on the beach this time of year when the vultures are out in force.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will not critisize or disagree w/ anyone here. I've got a lot of respect for night owl. I will say that I am very greatful for the generous and friendly folks here that have shared their knowlege w/ me. If it were't for them I'd still be a part of the white bucket goog-crew. Honestly, I've made some good friends here on this site. I've also learn so much & am willing to share anything I've learned. As far as spot burning, I don't have any secret spots and fish the same general area that 100's, of people fish, so that dosen't even enter into my mind. For those of you who spend hany many hours scouting new, remote and hard to access areas, I can totally understand why you would want to hold a spot that is producing cose to your vest. 

Respectfully,

JD

Crabba likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.