Most flavorful burger: type meat, ingredients

Rate this topic

jjdbike

My favorite one was a venison burger I made a while ago, 70 % grounded venison shoulder with 20% pork fat back, 10 % chorizo; ground juniper, black pepper, garlic thyme, rosemary, a shot glass of bourbon, grilled and topped with your fav cheese and homemade pickles and roasted potatoes- great for winter

On 10/20/2018 at 7:01 AM, Steve in Mass said:

For something different, try ground lamb with cumin powder mixed in. Then top with Tzatziki Sauce, lettuce, tomato and red onion.

I'll certanly try this next time wife's away.

21 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Jim - once you get into a bunch of ingredients, you are more or less making meatloaf. And with too many or certain ingredients in the ground meat, it becomes difficult to keep a burger from falling apart on the grill. And is why meatloaf recipes often include egg and bread crumbs, as binders.

If you are speaking of that stuff as toppings for the cooked patty, well that is different.

Yes but I love meat loaf. Made a killer one last week. Baked it w/ veggies and made gravey.

2 hours ago, Tom T said:

Or just order LaFriedas blend online and be done with it.

Wow, $45 for 3 lbs of burgers.

I'll ask my local butcher if he can do a blend. It does sound really good.

Thanks folks.

By the way, I made turkey burgers w/ sautéed shallat, julien-cut marinated sun dried tomates, shredded extra sharp cheddar, mayo, "what's this here sauce",  liquid smoke, chili lime & BBQ seasoning,  seasonings. I'll let you know how they come out. To me, w/ turkey burger, I need to add falvor & moisture or they're pretty bland and dry. I went w/ turkey because that meat loaf I made last week was big & I ate it through the week. Wanted a change from beef. 

Best regards!

JD

2 hours ago, Seabassplug said:

My favorite one was a venison burger I made a while ago, 70 % grounded venison shoulder with 20% pork fat back, 10 % chorizo; ground juniper, black pepper, garlic thyme, rosemary, a shot glass of bourbon, grilled and topped with your fav cheese and homemade pickles and roasted potatoes- great for winter

Mon Dieu!

Formidable, mon ami!!!!!

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

Home ground well trimmed sirloin with 20% pork fat

Salted and peppered then pan fried on a cast iron griddle or pan over wood. Get it hot and build a crust.

Easy peasy and unbeatable

Edited by Sudsy

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

With hunting season right around the corner I'll be looking at a heap of venison in the near future.  I like ground venison burgers.  You need to add fat though as it is very lean.  Although I have added chunked Boston butt in the past with great results, my favorite is to add a high quality bacon to the grind.  Cook on med-high and they are outstanding. 

I'll usually make a second batch and add some dried sage and hot peppers from my garden, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to make venison breakfast sausage.  This batch takes a little more bacon than the burgers.  Fry your eggs in some of the grease and you're good to go.

1 hour ago, JTallia19 said:

my favorite is to add a high quality bacon to the grind.

Duck Fat.... :drool: and is actually a "good" fat.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

On 10/20/2018 at 7:01 AM, Steve in Mass said:

For something different, try ground lamb with cumin powder mixed in. Then top with Tzatziki Sauce, lettuce, tomato and red onion.

Or ground lamb with crumbled feta cheese and oregano!!

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

Yeah I’d rather eat the ribeye, I like my burgers simple good fresh chuck, salt and pepper and smashed flat. Super hot cast iron forming a crust. One good slice of cheddar cheese onion tomato lettuce nice roll. Or go the blue cheese and bacon route that works too. 

As far as venison goes I mix mine 30 % pork fat making sure I trim away as much deer fat as possible. I tried bacon once but I like my deer to taste like deer not bacon. It wasn’t terrible but It didn’t go with many of the recipes I’d use my ground venison for either