adams54

Thoughts about all the bait in the water

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Everyone knows this year is the year of the baitfish. Out front out back you name it. Rainfish, spearing, mullet and now bunker. Problem is most of the time there's nothing on them. This alarms me because the surf fishing mantra has always been find the bait find the fish. Sorry but that just isnt true. Not saying there aren't fish out there.The guys that are extremely well dialed in and are putting in a huge amount of time are doing well..but it seems like the predatory fish are just flat out scarce. But why so much bait? I have no idea..but when I was in school we learned that in a predator prey ecosystem the numbers of alpha predators has a huge impact on populations of prey on the bottom of the food chain. My opinion is that this is on full display in the surf. What do you guys think?  Is it cyclical? Am I just a noob and my opinion is crap? What needs to be done? Conservation? Please discuss and keep it respectful.

There’s been plenty of predators feeding lately.  This past week I’ve seen dolphins, albies, Bonita, bluefish, whales, a seal, I even caught a Boston mackerel on a deadly dick today. Sometimes it seems like all the life in the ocean is at your feet. The bait will try to hide in the shallows where you can see them. Enjoy those days cause there’s plenty of days when it’ll be dead. But no not an unusual amount of bait for the fall. Btw I think it’s the year of the Bonita.   Never seen them like this year. 

41 mins ago, nj charlie said:

There’s been plenty of predators feeding lately.  This past week I’ve seen dolphins, albies, Bonita, bluefish, whales, a seal, I even caught a Boston mackerel on a deadly dick today. Sometimes it seems like all the life in the ocean is at your feet. The bait will try to hide in the shallows where you can see them. Enjoy those days cause there’s plenty of days when it’ll be dead. But no not an unusual amount of bait for the fall. Btw I think it’s the year of the Bonita.   Never seen them like this year. 

Bait has been thick all year. You're right though...plenty of predators.. esp bonita i should have mentioned the predators i was referring to are gator blues and stripers....but mainly stripers.

Past few years it seems like the fall bass have been like one giant school comes  by in November or December for 2 weeks then there gone   Then it’s beck to resident schoolies and juveniles.  Couple gator gators mixed in with the bass.  

5 hours ago, adams54 said:

Bait has been thick all year. You're right though...plenty of predators.. esp bonita i should have mentioned the predators i was referring to are gator blues and stripers....but mainly stripers.

You are correct. Blues and striper are way down compared to years past. Some people will argue this. I'm 70, been fishing over over 60 years, grew up in a tackle shop, heard oldtimers stories and saw what they caught. They didn't have Vanstahls, braid, graphite rods or 300HP boats. They caught loads of stripers, blues, cod, weekfish, fluke and winter flounder. 

AlwaysWading and adams54 like this

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, Duff said:

You are correct. Blues and striper are way down compared to years past. Some people will argue this. I'm 70, been fishing over over 60 years, grew up in a tackle shop, heard oldtimers stories and saw what they caught. They didn't have Vanstahls, braid, graphite rods or 300HP boats. They caught loads of stripers, blues, cod, weekfish, fluke and winter flounder. 

What's a weakfish?  

40 y/o, fished Cape May to SRI.  No, not a beach chair and sand spike either. Sometimes I fish around the tides, barometer, night, dawn, dusk, and sometimes I just go when time allows. I pounded the fall surf last year and didn't beach one bass. One husky bluefish, that's it.  When I switched to hunting, my buddy landed a few on Deal beach. That was it. This year is a slight improvement, but not like the late 90's for me.  Am I a sharpie, no, but I'm certainly not new at this. I am concerned. 

Edited by D1fishr
Spelling
adams54 likes this

2 hours ago, Pad_Crasher said:

I can take you where there's no bait and no fish if you prefer LOL

Please dont..I like staring at all that comfy looking bait

On 10/20/2018 at 10:25 AM, ridenfish said:

I guarantee all that bait isn’t so happy after it gets dark 

You guarantee? What about all that bait chilling next to the jetty I was fishing for 6 hours straight last night? Come on dude

adams54 likes this