Blackfishing Reel Reco

Rate this topic

HoboFisher

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a conventional reel for blackfishing in deeper water.  I would be using anywhere from 6-12oz of lead and fishing in depths of 60-80 feet.  I was wondering if anyone had any information or recommendations on reels.  I was looking at an Avet SXJ but worried that 14# of drag won't be enough but if I am completely wrong on that assessment, please let me know.  

-HoboFisher

I doubt you'd get 14# of drag out of an SXJ for long before crushing the bearing.  Take Avet's claims with a grain of salt.  The line capacity claimed on their web site is wrong too.  

I have and SXJ G2 which is supposed to handle a bit higher drag and slightly more line capacity.  I wouldn't be comfortable setting it much past 10#.  It also maxes out with 300 yards of 30 lb. Sufix 832 so I'm doubtful of their stated 290 yards of 50 lb. Jerry brown.  

They make nice reels but their support needs work.  I haven't been able to get a schematic for an SXJ G2 reel for well over a year now.  There was none in the box except a mini CD that is useless because I don't have a computer that can read it.  At least use a regular size CD that a computer can read.  Several phone calls were never returned.  The schematics on their site have never been updated to include G2 reels last I checked.  

With that said, is is a nice reel and I do use it for inshore blackfish and it's ok for that.  With deeper water and heavier weight, there are better alternatives.  I wouldn't bother with the SXJ G1 at all.  At the very least step up to a G2 or if you can, the raptor version.  That raptor looks like a very nice reel until you look at the price tag.  Also you might want to step up to the SX for more line capacitiy if you're going to use something like 50 lb. braid.  Also take a look at Accurate and Seigner reels.  They're both American made and often compared to avet.  The Seigler SG looks nice for what you're looking to do but I don't have one (yet) so can't say for sure.

Contrary to the previous opinion, I do think the SXJ would be a good choice for your application. I actually have one here & just pulled on it - plenty of drag. I personally feel the "pounds of drag" stats are overhyped - I've never once put a scale on any of my reels and never had a problem landing any size bass, bluefish, blackfish, fluke, etc.  For big game such as tuna I can understand it.  I've landed bass to upwards of 40# on my SX with no issues - the SXJ is the same reel except narrower. The Avets are extremely well made & the drag is great IMO - a very large carbon disk.

Out of curiosity, why are you needing 12 oz of lead for 60-80' of water? Are you fishing areas of heavy current?

Edited by vinnyb

1 hour ago, vinnyb said:

Contrary to the previous opinion, I do think the SXJ would be a good choice for your application. I actually have one here & just pulled on it - plenty of drag. I personally feel the "pounds of drag" stats are overhyped - I've never once put a scale on any of my reels and never had a problem landing any size bass, bluefish, blackfish, fluke, etc.  For big game such as tuna I can understand it.  I've landed bass to upwards of 40# on my SX with no issues - the SXJ is the same reel except narrower. The Avets are extremely well made & the drag is great IMO - a very large carbon disk.

Out of curiosity, why are you needing 12 oz of lead for 60-80' of water? Are you fishing areas of heavy current?

IDK where he lives, but here in the LIS 8-12oz for that depth is common with moon tides.

I fish the south shore reefs, so 50-80' just like you.  For this type of fishing with little to no current I prefer a low profile baitcaster like the Curado 300 or Daiwa Lexa 300 which are comfortable to fish with & light.  For really calm/no current conditions I'll also fish jigs with a light spinning rod which is a lot of fun. Once you're into wind/current situations requiring heavy weight you'll need to beef up the gear but I much prefer the lighter stuff overall.  Also, as I'm sure you're aware, the lighter the braid the less weight you'll need.  I'm generally fishing 20 or 30#. 

5 hours ago, vinnyb said:

I agree that drag numbers are probably overhyped.  My SXJ is set to 8 to 10 lbs. max and its been enough for everything so far.  It's been a fine 30 lb reel so far but for anything higher than 30 lb, line I'd look at something else.  And I do think the G2 is worth the extra money. 

On 10/19/2018 at 10:23 AM, HoboFisher said:

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a conventional reel for blackfishing in deeper water.  I would be using anywhere from 6-12oz of lead and fishing in depths of 60-80 feet.  I was wondering if anyone had any information or recommendations on reels.  I was looking at an Avet SXJ but worried that 14# of drag won't be enough but if I am completely wrong on that assessment, please let me know.  

-HoboFisher

IMHO you cant beat the seigler sgn for what your looking to do.. I picked one up a little over a year ago for exactly the same purpose, tog, but have found it to be a go to reel for much more. It's a tiny tank in every sense of the word... plenty of capacity for deeper water and plenty of drag for getting them up out of structure quickly or bigger fish..

Was a great toy for last years blackfish season, but since then I've put it on tons of cod in 150 feet+, doormats off Montauk, and endless bass to 40lbs+...

It's a small reel that is extremely capable.. which is exactly what I wanted.. plus it's the easiest reel you have ever seen to service. With absolutely no "tinkering ability" one could easily break down, service, and reassemble the entire reel in less than 10 mins (theres YouTube video that shows you how)...

being american made and backed by a LIFETIME WARRANTY was just icing on the cake.. 

1 hour ago, SeaZen 21 said:

I use the Tsunami Forged 10 for this application. Haven't fished it a ton yet, but I like it. It is a little heavier than the SXJ if that matters.

I was just looking at the SXJ's last night. What does the G2 add?

G2 have more drag and Raptors have even more.