atv223

Who Sharpens Hooks?

22 posts in this topic

I'm curious how many people regularly sharpen their hooks?  I rarely hear people talk about and I don't know if I've every been out fishing and someone stopped to sharpen a hook. 

However, I'm pretty sure some of my recent lost fish were due to hooks not quite sharp enough.

I sharpen em, not so much in open water yak fishing but  i do a lot of inlet jetty buctailing.......they get banged up regularly, if it doesn't scrape a finger nail , it's dull & gets wiped on the spot..

buddha162 likes this

I check hooks before getting on the water and sharpen or swap out if need be. I've occasionally sharpened on the water... usually jigs that I'd got stuck in rocks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a little 4" hook sharpener tethered to my PDF, it's used regularly, sometimes hooks get rusty in the Planos. I've been tempted to just spray the whole thing with WD40, you hear it's a fish attractant all the time!

SE DF401FS Dual Grit Diamond Fishing Hook and Knife Sharpening Stone. $5 at Amazon.

71SuPBSAkiL._SX425_.jpg

Edited by gellfex

I don't sharpen while out on the water, but I do at home. I also switch out stock hooks and split rings of most lures, and always when they get rusty. 

I have a hook sharpener but don't use it as often as i should. I just switch to a new hook or lure.  Not economical but i have a 2 gallon bucket of lures, jigs, hooks and rigs to sort through and sharpen during the winter.

The only hooks I sharpen are Mustard Duratin Hooks. The 34185 and the 34184 jiggin hooks both 8/0 size. Sharp out of the box but not razor sharp for my liking.

I have one go-to fly that I use all the time and the hook gets dull with all the schoolie stripers it brings up. I bought a Dr Slick (?) sharpener file and it brought the hook back to life.

Posted (edited) · Report post

When I'm fishing a lot (4-8x/week) I'll look at all of my plugs once a week after I've rinsed them and let them dry.  

Most only need a touchup with either a fine file or small diamond stone.  I've looked at others and thought "Holy crap!  That hook point is BENT OVER!"  Then I take those plugs into the shop and grind them back into shape.

Edited by Southcoastphil

Like checking knots, it's always a good idea to check hook points often, and regardless of whether a person wishes to take the time to sharpen, or simply switch lures/flies or hooks, a dull hook can cause lost fish, so should be addressed. 

I also try to make sure all hooks are sharp before heading out, but as said they'll get dull with use or from rust.  I use a permanent marker to coat the points on those I've sharpened to hinder rusting in the tackle box or bag. I also carry a hook sharpening stone, or diamond grit file and depending on the fishing I may be doing, a small metal file for larger hooks.

I recall one time throwing a bass jig, that I made 3 consecutive casts, and lost 3 fish. The first cast was under a bridge, and when I checked the point was broke off. I guess it broke when it hit the concrete of the bridge on the first cast. It happens and not the first broken hook I've had. Have had many bent points, where just the very tip was bent.

I still use some hooks that are not particularly sharp from the box, Such as the older style Mustads or Eagle Claw's, so they get sharpened prior to use and primarily at home. Chemically sharpened hooks are usually sticky sharp, so I don't try to improve on that, but will touch them up if needed.  Diamond grit files work well for them.

Unless a point gets broken, or otherwise mangled, it only takes a few seconds to check & touch up a point. If a hook needs more than that, while on the water, it probably should be replaced anyway. Either way it cuts into fishing time, but better than lost fish because the hooks not sharp. 

1 hour ago, tidewaterfly said:

I use a permanent marker to coat the points on those I've sharpened to hinder rusting in the tackle box or bag.

How effective is this?  I hold back on sharpening sometimes because the bare metal will rust.

20 mins ago, atv223 said:

How effective is this?  I hold back on sharpening sometimes because the bare metal will rust.

It ALL rusts, even brand new VMCs, so don't let that stop you from sharpening your hooks.

Yes, they'll all rust eventually. The marker works well enough while in the box, but rubs off quickly when fishing. 

I also keep silica gel packs in my fly boxes, tackle boxes and hook boxes at home, and there's some in whatever I may carry when out fishing, but I know anything exposed to water, especially saltwater will begin to rust in short order. The marker is just to keep them in good shape in between sharpening and use. The silica gel packs helps too.