squammer

Looking for a Small Pocket-Sized Fly Box for Salt Water Flies

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

1 min ago, Soup can said:

They have a bunch of different sizes. All the ones I have a very adjustable and quite useful. 

The nice thing about them, the models I use, are the individual lids for each compartment. Makes it far more difficult for win to blow out small flies or a clumsy moment leading to a disasterous spill. Single lid boxes can be convenient for a small number of large items, but not so good for small stuff IMO. 

4 mins ago, tomkaz said:

The nice thing about them, the models I use, are the individual lids for each compartment. Makes it far more difficult for win to blow out small flies or a clumsy moment leading to a disasterous spill. Single lid boxes can be convenient for a small number of large items, but not so good for small stuff IMO. 

Agree, although I find myself using the single lid box for med/large (5-6") streamers pretty often as well. 

9 hours ago, Fishin Technician said:

Look in to King Fisher slotted fly boxes.

Ft

I have a few smaller Kingfisher foam fly boxes that I got on eBay.  I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to, but I like them.  They fit in a pocket but are big enough for larger half and halfs and deceivers. 

I have a Finsport fly wallet also, which is nice because they come with clips to hook to a belt loop.  The only issue I found (which is mostly my fault) is if you open them in the surf, sand can get into the bags and they wont zip closed fully, causing stuff to get wet.

While looking for something completely different I came across expanding file folders but smaller sized ones that folks use for index cards or shopping coupons.     These seem to be available in 7" x 4.5"  up to 10" x 5" sizes, multi pockets, with some having a rather deeper front pocket.    Most have 13 tabs but thinking that every second or third tab could be snipped out and a possible way to organize those who like to use simple zip-loc bags for their flies.   Thinking even a small 1/.8" or 3/16" diameter bungee cord tied to the corners and this could be rigged on my chest.

Just a thought......

HT

cheap1.jpg.39f0ed0576ec4a361e3b72f841fb404e.jpgcheap2.jpg.526a70421dd9358cf0e06ba9625a1558.jpg

On 10/18/2018 at 4:54 PM, squammer said:

I started fly fishing in July this year and originally just had 4-5 flies. Now I have bought a bunch and a larger box made by Gamatsu or whatever (recommended by Bears Den and purchased online from them). It holds a bunch of flies but it too large to bring with me when I go on foot from my house to fish. I would like a small fly box that can hold ~5 salt water flies that can fit in my pocket or jacket pocket. I would bring 1 deceiver, 1 clouser, 1 snake fly, 1 popper or chugger, and maybe a hollow fly. 

I research online a bit and most of the small fly boxes I found are made for like small trout flies or whatever and look like the lid, when closed, would crush a larger salt water fly. Is there a box that anyone can recommend? I don't care if it's waterproof.

Thanks!

How about something like this? You can easily fix foam in there - would hold the 5 flies you reference. 

61N+C3Rz9tL._SL1500_.jpg

half of Amazon's products are junk. some are ok. this was $12 shipped to my door. the foam is not deep so very heavy weighted flies tend to pop out of the foam

20190201_160948.jpg

20190201_161006.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 10/18/2018 at 5:00 PM, JonC said:

A small box for big flies, no sweat!

Try a plastic bag.

JC

Except when the hooks poke through the bag and get caught in pockets and then you have to cut them out! Also, saltwater getting into the bag through those holes and rusting your flies. Been there, no more bags for me.

Edited by mitchman

40 mins ago, mitchman said:

Except when the hooks poke through the bag and get caught in pockets and then you have to cut them out! Also, saltwater getting into the bag through those holes and rusting your flies. Been there, no more bags for me.

Mitchman,

You can keep your flies dry.? That is some feat. Over the years I learned to cope with rust. Would it not be great if we all caught so many fish that our flies got trashed before they had a chance to get rusty and filthed up in our boxes.

We can But live in hope.

oly

1 hour ago, Mike Oliver said:

Mitchman,

You can keep your flies dry.? That is some feat. Over the years I learned to cope with rust. Would it not be great if we all caught so many fish that our flies got trashed before they had a chance to get rusty and filthed up in our boxes.

We can But live in hope.

oly

I actually use a small inexpensive wetfly box (similar to like kingfisher) that has a gasket and it has worked great for this very purpose. While its not impenetrable, it has done its job at keeping saltwater most of the time. Why spend all this money on and/or time to tie flies only to put them in a cheap plastic bag that's maybe got a couple trips before flies poke through and hook your pockets or worse you! Plus once a bag leaks your flies stay wet & immersed in saltwater. Yes everything rusts or breaks eventually but if you stay organized and dry helps you mitigate the rust.

Edited by mitchman

This is amazing that this is still getting as much play as it has and not one person has asked how big is the pocket this box has to fit in.:rav:

On 2/6/2019 at 7:36 PM, bonefishdick said:

This is amazing that this is still getting as much play as it has and not one person has asked how big is the pocket this box has to fit in.:rav:

Lol. I didn't even end up with a box in the end after starting this... Using ziplock bags!

Wow, 2380 views and 43 replies prior to to this one and the pocket is graced with a zip lock bag

dont ever let it be said it doesn’t pay to research stuff. :theman:

Edited by bonefishdick