squammer

Looking for a Small Pocket-Sized Fly Box for Salt Water Flies

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, titleguy said:

sandwich sized Ziploc freezer bag- you get a box of 50 fly boxes for $3.49.

So this is the route I've decided to go with for now at least. I put in about 3-4 black color flies with pre-tied leaders so I can swap out flies at night easy using loop-to-loop. 

7 mins ago, squammer said:

So this is the route I've decided to go with for now at least. I put in about 3-4 black color flies with pre-tied leaders so I can swap out flies at night easy using loop-to-loop. 

That's RJ does. But he does it with three fly setups. Wasn't clear if it was a big success but seems like a good idea. 

The only commercially made fly container I’ve ever bought is the Finsport Wallet , everything else was a DIY project . If you can acquire them , plastic VHS tape boxes with or with out foam work well for me . Also , I concur with the eyeglass case suggestion . Use your imagination, the $ you save can be used for things that you can’t make yourself . Good Luck , Bill J. 

Try a few books in your waders pocket if that's where you're putting the box and see if it will interfere with how you fish. My box, the foam one from Morell, will bump into my left hand when I'm stripping with both hands, if it's put in the wader pocket long-ways horizontal. So I put it in standing up like. That barely keeps it out of the way of my hand. These small things make a difference in whether something works well. 

The position of the wader pocket is a fixed element and have to work around that unfortunately. I don't like carrying a bag, don't need it.

Check out Meiho plastic boxes. Cost about $5. No foam. Good latches (not waterproof, but secure). And they fit easily in your pocket. Plus, if you get bumped or fall, you don't get an inadvertent piercing from a 3/0 hook...

This is another one of those posts that asks a question and in the end we never find out if a decision was made after numerous replies.

So did we find something that meets the need.

Edited by bonefishdick

I forgot from where but I bought a sheet of split foam like in fly boxes a bunch of years back. Had adhesive back and you cut it with scissors. Attached on on center console using Velcro. Attached another to side of boat bag for drift boat or flats boat trips. So many uses, including modifying a non-specific storage box. 

ETA: Just remembered that I originally bought two sheets. One was used to convert an extra pistol case into a streamer box. 

CF206FD3-F174-44E9-B050-EEA9B3E74FAB.jpeg.7444047b3d7443710dbcdcbe4fc1e6ad.jpeg

Edited by tomkaz

1 hour ago, Soup can said:

Check out Meiho plastic boxes. Cost about $5. No foam. Good latches (not waterproof, but secure). And they fit easily in your pocket. Plus, if you get bumped or fall, you don't get an inadvertent piercing from a 3/0 hook...

^^^ I have these and use them mostly for small terrestrial flies or for swivels, clips and whatnot in Beach bag. 

8 mins ago, tomkaz said:

^^^ I have these and use them mostly for small terrestrial flies or for swivels, clips and whatnot in Beach bag. 

They have a bunch of different sizes. All the ones I have a very adjustable and quite useful.