Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Livefreeordie

I fished with otters!

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

wolverines are mustelids, same family as weasels.  mustelid in latin means weasel, but they are not weasels, however.  just like bass and sunfish are both perciformes (perch-like fishes) but neither are types of perch.

On 10/19/2018 at 8:39 AM, John P said:

You will find otters in fresh and salt.  Many videos of otters in the ocean off Montery Calif eating shellfish.  They eat floating on their backs,quite a kick.

Different kind of otter! Those are Pacific sea otters, not found on the Atlantic coast.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, Livefreeordie said:

^Smarty pants biology guy. I'm gonna spray him with bunker oil, so that next time we're over there, the otters attack him.

Let me know when this is happening. I'll be recording this with my cell phone yelling SaltLife instead of WorldStar. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edited by Big Biscuit

Dave....how the hell.....did a mink eat your reel? I'm not even going to say 'hi' the next time I see you, before I ask for clarification on this matter.

Years ago a friend of mine and I slowly paddled a canoe down a river in Maine one May. Fly fishing for trout. A couple of otters followed us for quite some time. Quite close. One thumped the canoe as he rose up. Neat little creatures. 

56c7401f22c5e.image.jpg?resize=750,500

On 10/29/2018 at 1:22 AM, Livefreeordie said:

Dave....how the hell.....did a mink eat your reel? I'm not even going to say 'hi' the next time I see you, before I ask for clarification on this matter.

I was clearing a windknot and my eel fell between some jetty rocks, felt my rod moving and when I went to pull up the tip I had a little black mink hanging onto my eel, I lifted him in the air and was about to cast him in the water when he let go.  This was actually in SOCO RI.

Edited by westhavendave

On 10/19/2018 at 5:39 AM, John P said:

You will find otters in fresh and salt.  Many videos of otters in the ocean off Montery Calif eating shellfish.  They eat floating on their backs,quite a kick.

Those are sea otters. The ones he was fishing with were river otters, but they use both freshwater and saltwater, go between watersheds via creeks or swimming along the coast. 

I'm always worried about hooking one. Wouldn't be fun to try to unhook one but would probably have to give it a try. Wouldn't do it let it get away with a big plug hanging onto its face. 

I believe I saw one this past weekend on a Western CT reef near high tide.  It was far enough away where I could not make out any detail, but the shape of the head and behavior suggested an otter.  It caught my attention with a spash that was not fish-like.  It stayed in the area, always at about the edge of my casting range for maybe 20 minutes, floating and then disappearing, maybe grabbing some shellfish.  Very cool indeed!

Edited by CedarWind

On 11/6/2018 at 8:21 PM, westhavendave said:

56c7401f22c5e.image.jpg?resize=750,500

I was clearing a windknot and my eel fell between some jetty rocks, felt my rod moving and when I went to pull up the tip I had a little black mink hanging onto my eel, I lifted him in the air and was about to cast him in the water when he let go.  This was actually in SOCO RI.

I had something like that happen... only the fish involved was a bluefish and the critter in the jetty was a rat