Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Livefreeordie

I fished with otters!

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

IDK if this is common for others, but....last night, in a swampy back water, I started to catch as the current sped up. After I caught 3 small to medium fish, a family (I think, looked like 2 adults and a smaller one) of otters appeared. It was obvious they were in the channel for the same reason my lure was. Fishing shut down as the weasels made quite a commotion. They left after about 15 minutes of acrobatics including waking 5' away and scaring the crap out of me. Once I noticed they left, I caught a few more fish, starting about 5 minutes later.

When I first saw them I thought, how did seals get way up here? It was hard to gauge size/distance in the dark.

They're a HOOT! I poked a kayak up a narrow channel to a slough off a river I fish and a family of them came over to check me out. It was comical.. one would pop up a few feet from the kayak, look me over then disappear as another one pooped up on the other side. It reminded me of whack-a-mole. After a few minutes, they all swam off.

4 hours ago, Blank Disc said:

Very cool. Huge otter fan. Never fished with them. I bet they do ok.

Out of curiosity, what makes someone a "huge otter fan" LOL.  I mean don't get me wrong, I like them too, they are the largest member of the weasel family!

46 mins ago, thebigangrybear said:

Out of curiosity, what makes someone a "huge otter fan" LOL.  I mean don't get me wrong, I like them too, they are the largest member of the weasel family!

Actually, I think the wolverine is the largest (and meanest) weasel. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, Good2Go said:

Actually, I think the wolverine is the largest (and meanest) weasel. 

Science, The Maritime Aquarium, the children's TV show "Wild Kratz" and google all disagree with you my friend.  Looks like Wolverines are not in the weasel family, but they sure are mean.  

We should probably let the guy who is a huge otter fan sort this out for us though?

Edited by thebigangrybear

1 hour ago, thebigangrybear said:

They are just my favorite animal. Adorable, smart, good fisherman / hunters, what is not to love? 

I wrongly assumed a 'huge fan of beavers" joke was imminent. 

I've never seen a wolverine in the wild, but one I saw in an Alaskan  zoo left an impression. I am not going back to the otter place for a while. It was the best option for the time I had available, and the strong winds that night

34 mins ago, Livefreeordie said:

I wrongly assumed a 'huge fan of beavers" joke was imminent. 

I hate it when a beaver comes up right alongside the boat without me noticing it and then it does that dive/tail slap warning thing... sounds like somebody dropping cinder blocks in the water

9 hours ago, thebigangrybear said:

Science, The Maritime Aquarium, the children's TV show "Wild Kratz" and google all disagree with you my friend.  Looks like Wolverines are not in the weasel family, but they sure are mean.  

We should probably let the guy who is a huge otter fan sort this out for us though?

National Geographic agrees with me. So there! 

"The wolverine is a powerful animal that resembles a small bear but is actually the largest member of the weasel family."

Just what I heard. I do like otters though. Very tough yet sociable animals. If you piss them off tho I hear they can bite to the bone. Never saw them in the wild so anyone who has is very lucky in that regard. 

P.S. frankly the scientists are always changing the nomenclature, keeps them busy (and employed) I guess. Next thing we'll hear otters are in the same family as hippos. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Very cool.  Was this in salt or brackish water?  For some reason always thought of them as more of freshwater animals.  

Had an interesting encounter on the northeastern CT river about 20 years back.  I was cleaning trout on the bank and had the stringer tied off to a tree with the fish in the water.  While I was cleaning the first fish, i felt something brush past my waders in the water.  When I went to take the second fish off the stringer, two of the trout had large bite marks and the fourth was bit in half.  Always chalked it up to otters, but never actually saw them. Emmet Otter ate well that day.   

Edited by MikeK

You will find otters in fresh and salt.  Many videos of otters in the ocean off Montery Calif eating shellfish.  They eat floating on their backs,quite a kick.