jjdbike

BI Cod Seabass & Porgy: Terminal-tackle please?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I have a trip scheduled on Voyager 1st weekend on Nov.

Cod, Seabass & Porgy are the targets. A wide variety, while they all like struture and will all take a jig, they seem pretty different, at least in the size of their mouths. Also, while I've done a couple offshore seabass & progy trips off of NJ & fished Block Island are in Jan for cod, I've never done this combo in Nov.

I have no idea what depths or size fish to expect. What would you folks recomend? It sure would be fun if they will take a jig. Is it worth taking 6-10 oz hammered diamonds & Lucanus? Between porgy, seabass & cod, I'm thinking I should have rigs w/ hooks  2/0, 3/0 & 5/0, would you agree?

No idea what depths we'll fish, but I'm guessing 8 - 16 oz sinkers? Other than some chart and pink gulp swimming ,mullet, am I missing anything? Would you take anything other than boat bait which assumably will be clam strips?

While I can & actually enjoy tying my own rigs, I don't have the time now. I'll be ordering them from Reel Seat in Brielle NJ & or Peace Token in Cape May NJ.

Thanks in advance!

JD

Posted (edited) · Report post

You'll likely be fishing in 90 to 125 feet of water, so depending on the tide strength your estimate of 8 to 16 ounces is about right, though you might be better off leaving the 8s at the dock. BSB have big mouths and so do cod, so 5/0 hooks on a high low rig should work for both, as long as the doggies aren't around. Porgies OTOH have relatively small mouths, so you'll only catch hub cap sized scup using 5/0 hooks. If you really want to target scup drop down to 2/0 sized hooks. You can use "Montauk" three hook rigs or the standard high low rigs for scup.

Jigs will work bitter on the cod than the sea bass, though both will take a jig. Scup are pretty much jig proof.

Edited by MakoMike

12 hours ago, MakoMike said:

You'll likely be fishing in 90 to 125 feet of water, so depending on the tide strength your estimate of 8 to 16 ounces is about right, though you might be better off leaving the 8s at the dock. BSB have big mouths and so do cod, so 5/0 hooks on a high low rig should work for both, as long as the doggies aren't around. Porgies OTOH have relatively small mouths, so you'll only catch hub cap sized scup using 5/0 hooks. If you really want to target scup drop down to 2/0 sized hooks. You can use "Montauk" three hook rigs or the standard high low rigs for scup.

Jigs will work bitter on the cod than the sea bass, though both will take a jig. Scup are pretty much jig proof.

Thanks Brother,

Yes I agree about the big mouths, though 5/0 does seem a tad big for seabass but you have a ton more expereience than I so I'll defer to you.

BSB: I've done well on BSB with a light jigging set-up, an 8 oz hammered diamond jig tipped w/ Gulp. Got doubles w/ that and a Gulp abouve on dropper, averaged larger than on bait. But admittedly that was once & I've heard that it depends and they aren't always eager to jump on a jig. I've also heard that jigs will get the larger more agressive fish that are above or higher on the wreck or rock pile. Like I said, there are just things I've heard, but don't have much expereince & for me it's only guess work & trial and error.

Cod: I've fished cod in every season other than fall & especially never BI area in fall ever. I've def seen cod to be moody, sometimes more on bait, especially if there's a lot of bait in the water. On the otherhand, if they are activly feeding on & chasing baitfish, jigs can shine. Jigs are more interactive & fun, but do want to catch.

Porgies: Jigproof, that's hilarious, never heard that term but I'll trust that it's accurate. Yes I'll have some 3 hook rigs w/ 2/0 hooks incase I'm blessed enough to score a BSB limit and we're on some dinner plate porgies. They can round out a catch nicely if they're around.

Thanks for the advice.

Am I missing anything?

Should I bring any additional bait, e.g. squid?

Take care!

JD

Posted (edited) · Report post

I wouldn't bring any additional bait, if the boat has clams. No better bait for all three species.  BSB limit is 7 per person, you should have no problem getting your limit. Last time I fished for BSB, a couple of weeks ago, 5 of us limited out in 2 hours. 

Historically, I have always done better with bait in that area, but I have seen jigs produce some ice cod on occasion, so be prepared for both. 

FWIW, I tie my own BSB rigs and I always use 3/0 or 4/0 circle hooks, so you should do fine with 5/0s.

Edited by MakoMike

8 hours ago, MakoMike said:

I wouldn't bring any additional bait, if the boat has clams. No better bait for all three species.  BSB limit is 7 per person, you should have no problem getting your limit. Last time I fished for BSB, a couple of weeks ago, 5 of us limited out in 2 hours. 

Historically, I have always done better with bait in that area, but I have seen jigs produce some ice cod on occasion, so be prepared for both. 

FWIW, I tie my own BSB rigs and I always use 3/0 or 4/0 circle hooks, so you should do fine with 5/0s.

Thanks Mako,

I believe in NJ after starting Nov1st the BSB limit goes up to 15. 

So you're saying that in that area in the BI area bait catches better than jigs?

While jigs are more fun, I'd rather catch on bait than jig fruitlessly. 

Circle hooks, that's interesting. May I please ask what the benifit of circles are for BSB?

Thanks in advance!

JD

4/0 gami octopus is plenty small for scup. No need to go with the tiny hooks; which may lose the Sea Bass for you.  I fished S of the "windmills" last week. The problem you may have is keeping the bait down there long enough to catch the Biscuits when using clam baits. I really should have brought some squid heads. That's Sea Bass candy. A good idea for the 2/0 hooks is you may possibly catch some small bergalls which you can then fillet for strip baits. That also will catch you the big Sea Bass. If they move off into slightly deeper water you'll have a better shot at Cod.

4 hours ago, Joe said:

4/0 gami octopus is plenty small for scup. No need to go with the tiny hooks; which may lose the Sea Bass for you.  I fished S of the "windmills" last week. The problem you may have is keeping the bait down there long enough to catch the Biscuits when using clam baits. I really should have brought some squid heads. That's Sea Bass candy. A good idea for the 2/0 hooks is you may possibly catch some small bergalls which you can then fillet for strip baits. That also will catch you the big Sea Bass. If they move off into slightly deeper water you'll have a better shot at Cod.

Thanks man,

That was important to know.

One other question, how sticky are BSB & cod drops around BI area? I’m trying to figure out how many rigs & sinkers to bring. Is a few extra good or shpuld I be prepared to donate tackle to Davy Jones?

Also, when it comes to scup & BSB, how useful are things like colored beads, small squid skirts, twist tail jellies, Gulp, etc? 

JD

Not too sticky. I lost one sinker & zero hooks. No need for jewelry. 10oz on a rough as hell day. I kept a Limit of BSB & Scup. If I go again this year I'll likely fillet a porgy for strip bait.

16 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks Mako,

I believe in NJ after starting Nov1st the BSB limit goes up to 15. 

So you're saying that in that area in the BI area bait catches better than jigs?

While jigs are more fun, I'd rather catch on bait than jig fruitlessly. 

Circle hooks, that's interesting. May I please ask what the benifit of circles are for BSB?

Thanks in advance!

JD

Most days bait seems to out fish jigs, usually by a lot. But there are some days when the fish want the jigs. The benefit of circles is that you only have to hook the first fish, after that the hooked fish will hook the other two for you. So when I'm pin hooking I'll fish three rods and let the fish do most of the work.

On 10/18/2018 at 6:03 AM, Joe said:

Thanks Joe,

Where might I find squid heads to purchase for bait?

JD

Just now, jjdbike said:

Thanks Joe,

JD

I've never seen just heads. Buy a box of frozen squid; or better yet buy some uncleaned to eat & keep the heads.

On 10/22/2018 at 6:07 AM, jjdbike said:

Thanks Joe,

JD

You can buy whole frozen squid at the Town Dock. I think they sell 25pound blocks. Let us know how you made out!

If you can get a few conch , strip them and use in addition to clam on the same hook. Bullet proof bait also any left over fluke bellies are great. Bring some small whole squid too, that can cull some bigger fish