icarussound

Red tide possibly bad news

Rate this topic

80 posts in this topic

Thinking (and hoping) that this is what they would today call sensational journalism or "Fake News".

The dead fish were mullet which are being thrown overboard after dying and being used for bait.

The turtle could be coincidence (its 1 not 100).

The breathing issues could be from the tons of seaweed decaying on beach.

I have been on the beach for HOURS last few days in IRC and Brevard and saw no fish kills or had any issues with air quality.

Either way, the FWC should have water sample results soon.

Let's hope for best.

PS:  Was fishing off in an area where I saw a cast netter  net 75 mullet, deposit them on beach (hot sand), run to get his bucket and then put the liveliest ones of the size he wanted in bait bucket with air-well.

Other ones left to float out dead.

^

Very good assumption, here (for east coast). I, too, have spent not only hours but days on the beach, days and nights….all night and all day in all these areas, both on the beach and off the beach, and have seen no dead fish, no red tide. Only thing I have seen is TONS of action, action all over, rivers of mullet with Tarpon and everything else under the sun busting them. So much hype going on about this red tide here on the east coast with more people spending more time yapping about it instead of actually being out there fishing it, spending more time scaring off folks from being near the water. Tons of seaweed the last few months, tons of it, more than I’ve seen in years. And I’m quite sure this has something to do with a lot of the nasal assumptions taking place. Even if small concentrations of red tide is confirmed, so what? It’s the natural deal of Nature’s cards. Live with it. Fish around it or in it. Heck, I’ve had some very epic days fishing right in the middle of it!  Point here is to not let this stuff scare ya off or change those travel plans.  Lot of fishing action and excitement to be had here on the east coast, in some cases better than ever.

My 2 Pennies.

My initial reaction has been similar to both posts, possible histrionics (which is becoming typical of broadcast news these days...) 

Still, I also spend hours a day, every day, fishing the beach about 6 miles north. Have had some congestion, & my dog has been sneezing during his beach walks (!) on the other hand I smoke, so not a particularly good source for evaluating any of this.

I guess FWC will have the answer soon.

I think this is the first full on mullet run I've experienced here in my three years, last year and the year before the hurricanes cut it short. Very fun fishing this week. Caught a couple of huge (34") Spanish mackerel I thought initially were kings yesterday morning. Still looking to catch a beach tarpon...maybe tomorrow...!

Well I was wrong.

Spent a full day on the beach yesterday (north IRC area / south Brevard).

Some people complained of symptoms (scratchy throat, trouble breathing, etc.); I felt no real discomfort or symptoms at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an important message from ALERT Indian River

October 16, 2018

Red Tide has been confirmed for Indian River County.  All Indian River County and City of Vero Beach access points will be closed until further notice.

• People, especially those with respiratory issues, are encouraged to stay away from the beaches if possible for the next 2-10 days. Persons may experience throat irritation and/or coughing if directly exposed to Red Tide.
  • Higher winds or tides can spread it more quickly.
  • Dead fish are not to be eaten! Be cautious with any fish caught from the southeastern coast of Florida.
  • Do not consume shellfish of any kind caught in the area until it passes.
  • Please visit www.myfwc.com/redtidestatus for more information.

For current and up to date information on the status of Red Tide affecting Florida, please review the following links:

http://myfwc.com/research/redtide/

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/news/redtide-florida/

Image did not load.

33 mins ago, DennisBKLYN215 said:

Well I was wrong.

Spent a full day on the beach yesterday (north IRC area / south Brevard).

Some people complained of symptoms (scratchy throat, trouble breathing, etc.); I felt no real discomfort or symptoms at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an important message from ALERT Indian River

October 16, 2018

Red Tide has been confirmed for Indian River County.  All Indian River County and City of Vero Beach access points will be closed until further notice.

• People, especially those with respiratory issues, are encouraged to stay away from the beaches if possible for the next 2-10 days. Persons may experience throat irritation and/or coughing if directly exposed to Red Tide.
  • Higher winds or tides can spread it more quickly.
  • Dead fish are not to be eaten! Be cautious with any fish caught from the southeastern coast of Florida.
  • Do not consume shellfish of any kind caught in the area until it passes.
  • Please visit www.myfwc.com/redtidestatus for more information.

For current and up to date information on the status of Red Tide affecting Florida, please review the following links:

http://myfwc.com/research/redtide/

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/news/redtide-florida/

Image did not load.

Thanks for the retraction. 

Good report. 

So I read that shellfish are dangerous to eat but fish caught are not. Had bluefish for dinner last night and am planning on smoking some this afternoon. Am I being foolish? FWIW I was on the beach fir around 6 hours yesterday fishing and 3 hours this morning with no symptoms, no dead fish, and my dog seemed fine

7 hours ago, icarussound said:

So I read that shellfish are dangerous to eat but fish caught are not. Had bluefish for dinner last night and am planning on smoking some this afternoon. Am I being foolish? FWIW I was on the beach fir around 6 hours yesterday fishing and 3 hours this morning with no symptoms, no dead fish, and my dog seemed fine

Doubt you are at ANY risk from eating highly migratory species like Spanish or Blues.

Me personally, would eat anything that looked healthy including Reds, Snook, Snappers, Pompano (saw one caught yesterday), etc.

Obviously, any fish that looks sick or fought weakly I would be probably not risk.

And, loved smoked Blues when I lived in NJ and fired up smoker for them.

Cheers and good luck.

PS:  Heading out tomorrow despite warnings from Florida Dept of Health since I seem to have no effects from Red Tide.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ve never experienced red tide before, only lived in FL for the last year and a half. I livee in vero and fished the beach on Tuesday night, no problems, caught a few jacks, a buddy of mine was about 4-5 miles north of me and said he and others in the restaurant felt symptoms of red tide, it seems a bit localized? 

Edited by aneary

24 mins ago, aneary said:

I’ve never experienced red tide before, only lived in FL for the last year and a half. I livee in vero and fished the beach on Tuesday night, no problems, caught a few jacks, a buddy of mine was about 4-5 miles north of me and said he and others in the restaurant felt symptoms of red tide, it seems a bit localized? 

I have fished various Vero Beaches several times last 7 days and saw no signs and had no symptoms of Red Tide.

No landings of fish either in Vero.

That said, fished in South Brevard a few days ago (a few fish landed, jacks mainly but lost a few Spanish) and locals said Red Tide was present and a few of them had symptoms.

I had no issues.

Like you I have been here a year (escapee from NY/NJ) and last night wanted to follow up on some things I was reading.

Here is what I found at Beach by Ocean Grill, Sexton Plaza area.

Wife had issues.

Not sure its localized; would say more regional. 

Vero city said 60K dead fish on their beaches.

Check out Vero News site.

20181017_185931.jpg

20181017_185952.jpg

20181017_190025.jpg

20181017_190122.jpg

20181017_190134.jpg

20181017_190146.jpg

20181017_190202.jpg

Went to Rio Mar in Vero Beach this morning.  Piles of dead fish up and down the beach.  Stench was pretty bad but I did not notice any respiratory effects from red tide during the short period I stayed there.   Further south down by Round Island, no sign of dead fish but an odd sickly/fishy smell permeated the air.

Interesting, my wife was at the beach this morning, south or Riomar and no problem, folks walking on the beach, couple guys fishing, no dead fish, yet 3-4 miles north of us dead fish. Round Island is still open to swimming I believe. Also heard there was some nice Jack action early this morning.

I fished the intercoastal last  night via kayak and hooked into a big jack, of course trying to clear my line he broke my 20lb test like it was nothing. Still seeing some mullet on the beach and the intercoastal. Hope to fish hard Saturday/Sunday weather and no red tide permitting. 

If you start to cough, cover your mouth with cloth from your shirt. Don’t breathe it in, just get away for the area. 

People on the the west coast have had respiratory infections from the tide issues. 

Just got back from an afternoon of fishing in N Indian River and S Brevard County.

Red Tide Conditions much improved where I was although fishing still slow (just small jacks and decent Spanish) for me.

Snook fishing is slow but saw a couple caught.

Here is latest from FWC.

Looks like Wabasso Beach is hot spot now.

RED TIDE 10.18.18 as of 630 PM.PNG

1 hour ago, saltfisherman said:

If you start to cough, cover your mouth with cloth from your shirt. Don’t breathe it in, just get away for the area. 

People on the the west coast have had respiratory infections from the tide issues. 

Thanks for advice.

As I said, wife started coughing and sneezing immediately and had to go back to car while I explored last night in central Vero Beach. 

Nevertheless I believe Red Tide Health Risks on East Coast are much lower than SW Coast of Florida.

Why do I believe that?

Higher concentrations, more coverage area and persistence of conditions on SW coast versus east coast of Florida.

Just a hunch; but a somewhat informed one.