Penn slammer 3 smoothness

Rate this topic

Bow390

I just received a brand new penn slammer 3 and it is my first sealed reel. Are sealed reels typically not as smooth as others? For example my Penn battle 2 is about twice as smooth, if you turn the handle it spins roughy twice as long and feels more smooth overall.

Sealed reels are harder to crank. They are smooth. The slammer 3 has the dura drag system. Wait to you catch a fish of good size. Do not put any oil in the body and under no circumstance use drag washer grease on the drag on this real. Send it to penn factory service at the end of the season for cleaning. ive had mine 2 .25 seasons so far.

If you aren't fishing on the edge, you are probably blocking the channel.

+1 to what reelfire stated.

Sealed reels have extra seals in areas where water may enter the reel.  It will never spin freely like your battle.  But i will guarantee you this, the line lay and castability of these Penn Slammer 3 reels are better then any penn reel on the market today.

8 hours ago, reelfire said:

Sealed reels are harder to crank. They are smooth. The slammer 3 has the dura drag system. Wait to you catch a fish of good size. Do not put any oil in the body and under no circumstance use drag washer grease on the drag on this real. Send it to penn factory service at the end of the season for cleaning. ive had mine 2 .25 seasons so far.

Why no grease on the drag washers?  I thought you were supposed to. 

I have the original 560 slammer and put some on the HT-100 washer.  

Edited by rwilhelm

12 hours ago, rwilhelm said:

Why no grease on the drag washers?  I thought you were supposed to. 

I have the original 560 slammer and put some on the HT-100 washer.  

Because the slammer3 uses Dura Drag system and it has a special lubricant as per Penn factory service dept and google results.

If you aren't fishing on the edge, you are probably blocking the channel.

On 10/15/2018 at 9:45 PM, Bow390 said:

I just received a brand new penn slammer 3 and it is my first sealed reel. Are sealed reels typically not as smooth as others? For example my Penn battle 2 is about twice as smooth, if you turn the handle it spins roughy twice as long and feels more smooth overall.

I dunked my Penn slammer 3 5500 for 3 secs. On the next trip, it started to make a strange noise when cranking. Not until i took apart, and throughly lubricate, did the noise stop.

(*edited - member also formerly known as 'HolyHogy')