fish ID help from old blurry picture?

Rate this topic

Steve Schullery

My brother and I are trying to figure out what those fish were that we caught as kids. We were newcomers to saltwater and to Corpus Christi, TX. I think that's a seatrout on one end and a sheepshead on the other end; can anyone provide likely ID of any of the others? I believe that at the time we were calling some of them croaker and drum. (The year was 1955, 56, or 57. Car is a 55 Nash)

Paul's 1st compilation (275).JPG

Steve,

Don’t know about he fish, but that car has to get the weird styling prize for its era! 

Disclosure-my dad became a Rambler dealer 2 years later.

JC

Edited by JonC

14 hours ago, JonC said:

Steve,

Don’t know about he fish, but that car has to get the weird styling prize for its era! 

Disclosure-my dad became a Rambler dealer 2 years later.

JC

Jon,

I knew I sensed more of a shared heritage than just fishing when we met. I believe that 1955 was the last year that Nash featured those enclosed front wheel wells, making tight turns impossible. Although only the Statesman model, this one was somewhat of a sleeper (on the Nash scale) having a two-barrel carburetor on it flat head six.

Dad was somewhat of a Nash sustaining patron. He had a '49, '51,'53, '55, and 1957--the last year they used the name badge. Then, he had several Ambassadors, AMC, and Ramblers before they finally gave up the ghost completely. Now, all that's left of it is the acronym for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, a form of fatty liver, which he may have sustained too.

Edited by Steve Schullery

53 mins ago, HL said:

I don't see any sheepshead there.

Look like sea trout

Herb

They look like sea trout.    I can't see any stripes in the pictures ?  but the tails looked like trout?  or maybe Northern Kingfish

Drum  look a little fatter in the midsection I think anyway?  

If fishing down south I would say maybe Ladyfish or Whiting. 

2 hours ago, ccb said:

They look like sea trout.    I can't see any stripes in the pictures ?  but the tails looked like trout?  or maybe Northern Kingfish

Drum  look a little fatter in the midsection I think anyway?  

If fishing down south I would say maybe Ladyfish or Whiting. 

HEre's the only other photo from the exciting day. Stripes are more visible in fish #3 and #8 (from left). I do recall that they were not all the same species: a mixed bag. Also, they were caught fishing a piece of shrimp on the bottom. I believe that Corpus Christi, TX qualifies as "down south".

I can't tell you what a thrill this was--to fill up a stringer! We had recently moved down from Pennsylvania and my parents couldn't get over how people used shrimp for BAIT!! Dad had taken Paul and me fishing several times in PA but neither he nor Paul had ever caught anything. I had caught one trout and a few bluegills on my new fly rod (aka. "Stevie's dude pole") back in PA and countless bluegills on worms fishing with my batchelor uncle in Buckeye Lake, but this wasa a whole new world (that only lasted two years til we moved again.)

Teepees over Texas-a - 1955.jpg

Edited by Steve Schullery