Fish4Sanity

Hooking Green crabs

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

In the bottom, out the top.  I've never found the need to get fancy hooking them, but I do tend to miss most of my hits, so there might be something there......

Fish4Sanity likes this

For me, i cut off the legs and claws.  Then cut the crab in half.  Apply the hook thru the the back where the leg used to be and out the bottom.

There are some vids on the tube that show how.

If you are able to get your hands on some asian crabs, they work so much better...

Billy Z, Fish4Sanity and blacklabnh like this

Evil-Bay, today I fished next to a guy who was using Asian crabs and he was slaughtering fish. I tried to ask him about them but his Chinese accent was  way too thick. He went home with 2 19” fish. 

I was doing the same as you do. When you put hook through the back leg do you go back through the bottom of the belly or do you leave the hook loose just hanging through the leg socket? 

28 mins ago, Lou T said:

in one leg socket, into the body and out another leg socket...;)

That's what I usually do, and then try to stick 'em on the second thump. 

With asians I usually put 'em on whole.

Fish4Sanity likes this

We get pretty good size crabs in CT so usually cut them in half right down the middle. Then either in thru the middle cut out a leg socket, or in through a socket out thru the guts. As for hooking them, once I know they're around I'll strike at anything. They take the crab very gently until they're hooked, then they let you know how unhappy they are! Braid helps feel the pickup too. 

Fish4Sanity likes this

usually go in a leg knuckle and then out the bottom

a trick i was taught to increase the hook set #1 braided line  #2 is drop to the bottom take up your slack and then drop the rod tip ever so slightly to put a weeeee bit of slack in the line, now dont wait to feel the hit, watch the line instead

Cut in half, discard the upper carapace. Depending on hook size, I usually break the half into a quarter. In the first leg/body knuckle, out the last. Leave the legs for a larger profile and improved wiggliness. At the first tap, lower the rod tip, wait a half a beat, and set the hook.

Fish4Sanity likes this

4 hours ago, Fish4Sanity said:

I assume you’re talking about Asian crabs? 

Any crab left whole, cut off legs in one hole out another crack shell to let out some juices and send it down 

Fish4Sanity likes this

I just cut em in half legs and all, hook in the bottom leg out the top one.  The fish in my area don't seem to care if it's a green crab or an asian, they are very pc.

Fish4Sanity likes this

5 hours ago, Sandflee said:

usually go in a leg knuckle and then out the bottom

a trick i was taught to increase the hook set #1 braided line  #2 is drop to the bottom take up your slack and then drop the rod tip ever so slightly to put a weeeee bit of slack in the line, now dont wait to feel the hit, watch the line instead

I will give that a try on my next trip

Depending on the size of the crabs and average size of the fish, I will use anywhere from a whole crab, half-crab or quarter crab pieces.  Asian crabs I use whole, but crack the back of their shell first.  Green crabs I usually cut off all/most of the legs, with the thought that crabs can grab onto a leg and pull the crab piece off the hook.  I hook through a leg hole and then back out through the body where the fleshy/leathery part is, because my thought is that this is where the fish will start to chew.  If in rocky areas, keep checking sharpness of hooks (usually #3-#5 Octopus Circle, again based on average/expected size of fish around).  Tight lines all! 

Fish4Sanity likes this