cubeconvict

Pier vs Surf Gear

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I just bought an Ugly stick Elite 9' medium as an upgrade from the inherited rods I had.  I have a Shimano R4000 which will be in place until the next round of cash gets invested. 

I got this stuff to get set up for surf fishing and it is working so far.  But sometimes I look at the nice wharves we have here in Santa Cruz and wonder about fishing off of them. I've been trying to do my reading on pier fishing, but am finding a lot of really crappy intro articles.  Most articles start with "get yourself a good pier fishing cart." 

Can y'all compare and contrast the gear between surf fishing and pier fishing?  Are these forums appropriate for pier questions or should I take them somewhere else that you can recommend to me?

Posted (edited) · Report post

There is a website called ********.com and Ken Jones' xxxxxx. I think you should start with what fish you want to target and go from there for starting gear.

Removed link to fishing website per rules.

Surf Hunter

Edited by Surf Hunter
It's against site rules to give links to other fishing websites.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Most of your surf fishing gear should work for the piers. You may want to bring a sabiki rig rod and bucket to give you the option for live bait fishing but fishing with dead bait and lures are also productive. Halibut and stripers are most common but also occasional WSB are caught from the SC county piers. I haven't been down there fishing in a few weeks I imagine guys are still going at it so walking the piers and watching what guys are doing and what gear their using should also give you an idea.

Edited by salmonneed help

I hate to put too much stress on my surf outfit,so when I pier fish I use a heavier and shorter rod,plus you may need a "rig" to haul a big fish up and a "partner to help you.

oH sometimes I use a "boat rod"  like 7ft. and 30+ lb rating.

Yea I think big,lol.

I have moved to Arizona next month will be 20 years and since then 2 of the piers I fished the most have closed. First Fruitvale Pier in Oakland was torn down to make way for a walkway and the famous Berkley pier was deemed unsafe(they want to repair that one). Do you know if your on the Pacific Ocean then the piers have a small advantage although the surf you can walk the beach and look for troughs and cuts along the surf which fish can be holding in :)