Buzzards bay toggin

Rate this topic

Total NOOB here re toggin, so please bear with me.

Are there places in BB from which one can fish for tog from shore?  I'm guessing maybe Gooseberry Island?  

Not looking for spot burns, so please feel free to PM me.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

4 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Are there places in BB from which one can fish for tog from shore?  I'm guessing maybe Gooseberry Island?  

You could just find rocks close to shore. Buzzards bay is loaded with them but access may be the problem. I was 20yds off shore anchored next to a rock pile getting them as well.

On 10/15/2018 at 2:20 PM, Southcoastphil said:

We catch lots of shorts from a Beach just West of Westport.  There's one rockpile in the middle of the beach.   Which makes me think that just about any rocky spot with more than a few feet of water might produce.  I'm thinking West Island might be a novel place to try right about now.

DITCH TROLL

22 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

We catch lots of shorts from a Beach just West of Westport.  There's one rockpile in the middle of the beach.   Which makes me think that just about any rocky spot with more than a few feet of water might produce.  I'm thinking West Island might be a novel place to try right about now.

Are you referring to the W Island off the Neck Road?

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

3 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Yes. i've never tried it, but  I've often thought that the other side of the ledge rock north of the beach area looked like a great place to tog fish.

I just looked at the nav map, and it's only 5 to 8 feet deep within casting distance, but that might be enough this time of year.

The other suggestion id have is if you could get access to almost any pier in the Fall River area, I know folks do pretty good there too.

DITCH TROLL

9 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

Yes. i've never tried it, but  I've often thought that the other side of the ledge rock north of the beach area looked like a great place to tog fish.

I just looked at the nav map, and it's only 5 to 8 feet deep within casting distance, but that might be enough this time of year.

The other suggestion id have is if you could get access to almost any pier in the Fall River area, I know folks do pretty good there too.

Thanks for your help.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

19 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

If you're talking about West Island in Fairhaven, just be forewarned.  You can easily get stuck on that ledge if you're not watching the tide.  Low tide is no problem, but once that tide starts moving, the path back to land gets quickly submerged and can strand you or worse.  Additionally, that spot is very heavily fished/overfished (I find short filleted racks at W.I. all the time) so your luck may vary.

4 hours ago, Jonesy02719 said:

If you're talking about West Island in Fairhaven, just be forewarned.  You can easily get stuck on that ledge if you're not watching the tide.  Low tide is no problem, but once that tide starts moving, the path back to land gets quickly submerged and can strand you or worse.  Additionally, that spot is very heavily fished/overfished (I find short filleted racks at W.I. all the time) so your luck may vary.

REALLY good info to know.  

Thank you!

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:20 AM, Southcoastphil said:

The Gooseberry Area, west and south has been very excellent with fairly large tog (5-10 pounds). Limits are the norm. I'm doing best in 35-45 feet. Pics are from Saturday and Sunday.

(we had a little shark problem on Sunday)…..JC

101318mja.JPG

101418shark.JPG

101418jig.JPG

101418long.JPG

Thanks, Jason.  Don't know if I can get my jigs into that depth from shore, though.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

On 10/16/2018 at 8:25 PM, pogie_boy said:

I fish around the Fall River area for tautog every Fall. Every year it seems we loose access to good spots.Last year we got kicked off the boardwalk facing the battleship, now this year the dump called the City pier, which is being developed into some ritzy marina.Lots of shorts so far, bigger fish not far behind.

23 mins ago, saxon59 said:

I fish around the Fall River area for tautog every Fall. Every year it seems we loose access to good spots.Last year we got kicked off the boardwalk facing the battleship, now this year the dump called the City pier, which is being developed into some ritzy marina.Lots of shorts so far, bigger fish not far behind.

I was hoping that you'd weigh in on this, Saxon.

Why don't you ring me when you have a chance and we will try to find some other spots with access together?  Now that all of the tourists have left, I might be able to gain some access to spots that were off-limits even a month ago.

:naughty:

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

3 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

I was hoping that you'd weigh in on this, Saxon.

Why don't you ring me when you have a chance and we will try to find some other spots with access together?  Now that all of the tourists have left, I might be able to gain some access to spots that were off-limits even a month ago.

:naughty:

I’d be ready and willing to join you guys on this mission! :hooked:

Ditch Troll #338

-Tight Lines