Sears files for bankruptcy

Rate this topic

iphish

the ones that I find the most interesting are the Sears Lustron all steel homes. All the major components are steel. the insulation is kind of a aluminum foil material. The original siding was enameled shingles. I knew a person outside of Albany NY that owned one and let me poke around a little. apparently there are lots of them in the early Albany suburbs. Lots of the folks know each other and the homes are kind of a cult thing (at least that was the case 20 years ago).

55 mins ago, Good2Go said:

Think maybe I'll go to Sears this weekend and scout around for something to buy as a remembrance. I worked for them in the mail order department off Roosevelt Blvd in Philly in the 70s as a part time gig during college. MIL worked for Sears for 20 years. Bought a JC Higgins 12 gauge pump from a guy at State College Pa for 50 bucks, still have it. Sears was killed by poor management. Got out of the mail order business just as Amazon was starting up. Dumb move. They had the distribution centers all set up, just needed to set up a website and they cudda competed. Bought Land's End to try to get back into it, then sold it when they couldn't make it work. Another dumb move. Bought K-Mart for some reason. K-Mart was always a low end junk store in my opinion, Sears just brought themselves down a couple notches. Dumb. Then, when the red ink started flowing they started selling off their best assets, like Craftsman Tools. Just sad to see an American icon slide away into the business abyss. Be a classic study in business school for years on how not to run a business. 

I grew up not far from there at all. 

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

1 min ago, Slacker said:

Collectors item. I have a Western Field (Montgomery Ward) 12 gauge pump with the goofy "c-lect a choke" thing on the barrel.  

my boy has a mossberg 20gauge bolt action with an adjustable choke, I love that gun

how lucky am i

to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard

Shooting a coon in a 60ft tree out of a boat in the dark holding a flashlight can be tricky. ..

5 hours ago, MikeMc said:

Sears has been selling clothes longer than I've been alive. :squid: 

Exactly :th:

They have been selling clothes since the 1800’s.

Edited by Wayne Tj

America, the country so great that even its haters refuse to leave. 

1 hour ago, Good2Go said:

As a younger kid, used to walk/bike there from Olney. 

No kidding? I grew up at 5th & Hunting Park. Took drum lessons at Zapf's and used to go to the library there and the sporting goods store on the corner. The name escapes me, though. 

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

Yeah, 5th St was where my family did a lot of our shopping until the malls came along and put a lot of the small stores out of business. Guess the malls are now getting the same from the internet stores. I used that same library and sporting good shop. Name escapes me too but I remember getting my #10 hooks for trout fishing in those little wooden barrel containers, also salmon eggs and worms for fishing at Pennypack Creek. 

Pennypack Creek. Suckers in the spring run then opening day of trout then down the shore on Saturdays to fish with dad for flounder. Great times for a kid from Tacony. And once a year we went to Sears to shop. Robert Hall once a year for a new suit. And once a year to Reedmans just to look at thousands and thousands of cars.