iphish

Sears files for bankruptcy

Rate this topic

114 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, Wayne Tj said:

Amazon is not that stupid, maybe a few locations for the location, then demo the building and rebuild.

yeah, why would they want tons of retail stores, that goes against their model.

1 hour ago, Wire For Fire said:

They were blowing out tools and and stuff when the one by me closed last year ..10$ dicky jeans .. I grabbed everyone in my size I’m set for life on work pants 

you take the day off or the new gig allows SOL again?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sears has been on the ropes for more than 20 years, this news is no surprise to anyone familiar with them.

Their troubles started long before Amazon became a factor. Amazon and internet retail in general was just the final straw.

They over-expanded their brick and mortar locations when online shopping was about to kick in. Sales started falling while they were saddled with huge real estate debt. Add to this old school executives that refused to believe that internet shopping was here to stay. 

For a company that started as a mail order fulfillment retailer, why would they not think that people would embrace buying stuff sight unseen?

Classic case are of believing your **** don’t stink.

Edited by Wayne Tj

13 mins ago, Sandflee said:

you take the day off or the new gig allows SOL again?

No I don’t take days off .. just using my data on phone ... still blocked by my those tool bags 

last thing I bought from them was a boat motor, 82ish, the lever latch part broke, I ordered the part under warranty. 6 or 8 months later it comes in, I go the pick it up and they said it was now out of warranty,  wanted me to pay for it, **** em..

went and got an evinrude, still have it :th:

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

Sears has been going out of business for decades. Like someone now knowing they have cancer until it is too late. Horrible business model. They tried to be everything to everyone. Rather than focus on tools, appliances and electronics... they added clothing, jewelry and all kinds of other things that were not their strength.

Then, they sell off craftsman which meant no longer did the lifetime guarantee stay in place. Deadly decision.

Finally, the service they provided for the appliances was SO BAD that many people including myself swore to never buy from them again. As an example, I purchased a refrigerator and got the 4 yr extended warranty. When the fridge stopped working in the month of July, I called for service. The soonest appointment they could give me was three weeks out.... for a fridge in July.

Sears has been selling clothes longer than I've been alive. :squid: 

10 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

I have a Sears model 1 bolt action 22, most accurate gun I've ever owned

I have a Ted Williams semi auto 12 gauge from Sears. 

DoOver likes this

1 hour ago, Billybob said:

I think they actually sold houses at one time.

They did but you had to live near a rail line to take delivery.

DoOver likes this

3 hours ago, Wayne Tj said:

Sears has been on the ropes for more than 20 years, this news is no surprise to anyone familiar with them.

Their troubles started long before Amazon became a factor. Amazon and internet retail in general was just the final straw.

They over-expanded their brick and mortar locations when online shopping was about to kick in. Sales started falling while they were saddled with huge real estate debt. Add to this old school executives that refused to believe that internet shopping was here to stay. 

For a company that started as a mail order fulfillment retailer, why would they not think that people would embrace buying stuff sight unseen?

Classic case are of believing your **** don’t stink.

Caught a news blurb today that ironically they were the first major retailer to start a website ('99).

Obviously over time they they didn't listen to their geeks.

1 hour ago, Billybob said:

I think they actually sold houses at one time.

Which is where the Craftsman name came from I believe. 

Sears Sold 70,000 Homes From Their Catalog. Are You Living in One?

From 1908 to 1940, you could choose from over 400 styles of homes to purchase through Sears, Roebuck and Co. mail-order catalog.

May 16, 2016

sears catalog house
Liz West - Flickr CC

Not long ago, the Sears, Roebuck and Co. mail-order catalog was the ultimate marketplace, much like Amazon is today. You could even buy a house straight from the catalog. Just pick out the home you like, and voila, Sears would deliver it just for you. (The best Amazon can do is either a DVD box set or houses that, uh, would have some size and space issues for most people.)

These Sears homes weren't cheap low-end houses. Many of them were built using the finest quality building materials available during that time. It's not uncommon to find Sears homes today with oak floors, cypress siding, and cedar shingles. As with most old homes, the tough part is finding one that has been well maintained, and with the youngest of Sears homes going now eight decades old, they all require a significant amount of care. From 1908 to 1940, Sears sold between 70,000 to 75,000 homes, so there are plenty out there, you just need to know where to look.

sears catalog home

Dag - Flickr CC

Sears designed 447 different house styles to fit the taste of home buyers across the country. From Craftsman to Cape Cods, they offered a custom home at budgets and sizes that could accommodate any size family. 

Because Sears purchased building materials at a high volume, they could keep the prices down making them very competitive with what local builders could provide. They were one of the first mass builders to utilize "balloon" style framing which only requires one carpenter on site, as well as using drywall for walls, asphalt shingles for the roof, and central heating. These advanced building materials made for modern homes that were less expensive to build and safer to live in.

Sears Home

Liz West - Flickr CC

The majority of Sears homes were built in the Northeast and Midwest, with the largest grouping being in the city of Elgin, IL, where one community has more than 200 verified Sears homes. Sears lost most of the records of home sales so it can be difficult to identify a Sears home, but there are a few ways. Stamped lumber, column arrangements, shipping labels, and public records have all been used to identify a Sears home. 

DoOver likes this