Skinner rubs it in, again

The difference is in the content and monetizing said content.  Much of what early YTers were doing were either spot burning or basically showing how to do very basic things.  Rigging eels, tying a knot, how to self rescue, etc.

Then the Go Pro started a revolution that showed people actually fishing.  

Then people started both.  Then they realized if they sold **** in their videos, people would buy.  Alot.  Then the smart shops caught on, and now the business is literally 2 to 5 years away from looking fundamentally different.  At this point a smart shop with a good pro staff video guy can instantly affect the market.  Anyone here buy Red Salmon Gulp?  100% manufactured hype, from the rep to the distributor to the retailer to a YT video into THOUSANDS of pockets in mere days.  Thats what I am talking about.

As we move forward, the business of fishing is changing how it gets information out.  If I was Quantum I would ditch every ad I booked in Bassmaster magazine and give it to Skinner.  There is only one reel that sells in the northeast from Quantum, just one, and its Skinner's.  People have started working with Amazon and YT to get a cut of what they sell on YT.  Those 'convenient' links that people put on?  Click em and they get $.  Buy something they get more $.  Those links are not for your convenience.

How many knock off soft plastics has Elias sold?  They are not here to help you.  They want your clicks.  And I have zero problem with that.  At my heart I am a marketer stuck in a salesmans body.  And while I support these YT salesmen(or at least am studying closer) I personally am always leary of these homegrown 'organic' videos that give me a link.  (full disclosure I cant remember the last time I watched a fishing video on YT)

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

Good explanation from a “marketers” standpoint.

I see marketers on videos as wolves and viewers as sheep.

Selling junk to everyone and like you said (Don’t care).

I remember someone personally pushing kastking as “Solid”. His opinion? Doubt it, but his ego and head got big from a marketer saying we want to sponsor you. 

Who answers there home phone anymore? How about who hasn’t shut off there ringer at home. The feds couldn’t even control the scam artists aka marketing companies. Now it’s spoofing  numbers to make you believe a neighbor might be calling.

So why stand behind them?

KFA-NY

Kayak Wars/Team Fishing Lab

Yellow Eyed Devils

(*member formerly known as ''rick smithtown)

5 mins ago, Rick67 said:

Good explanation from a “marketers” standpoint.

I see marketers on videos as wolves and viewers as sheep.

Selling junk to everyone and like you said (Don’t care).

I remember someone personally pushing kastking as “Solid”. His opinion? Doubt it, but his ego and head got big from a marketer saying we want to sponsor you. 

Who answers there home phone anymore? How about who hasn’t shut off there ringer at home. The feds couldn’t even control the scam artists aka marketing companies. Now it’s spoofing  numbers to make you believe a neighbor might be calling.

So why stand behind them?

Point of clarification.  I am not on the marketing side.  I am on the sales side.  So while marketers see blue skies and rubes, I see customers and sales numbers.  Takes the 'noise' from people with anecdotal beliefs about the fishing market and boils it down to no bs #s

And yep there at TONS of rubes out there that buy crap that is knocked off.  But there are really smart guys like Scooby and others who find values and good stuff out there too, even the knockoffs, may be worth it.  They can influence the market and it does not always have to be at the expense of the angler.

Thats why its great to find a guy like Skinner or Scooby who will not be swayed by shiny sponsorships and have integrity.

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

33 mins ago, Shipwreck said:

Point of clarification.  I am not on the marketing side.  I am on the sales side.  So while marketers see blue skies and rubes, I see customers and sales numbers.  Takes the 'noise' from people with anecdotal beliefs about the fishing market and boils it down to no bs #s

And yep there at TONS of rubes out there that buy crap that is knocked off.  But there are really smart guys like Scooby and others who find values and good stuff out there too, even the knockoffs, may be worth it.  They can influence the market and it does not always have to be at the expense of the angler.

Thats why its great to find a guy like Skinner or Scooby who will not be swayed by shiny sponsorships and have integrity.

Think that is my biggest problem with the younger youtube generation is the lack of integrity. I know most of the local youtubers and the big guys here in Florida on the Saltwater End. In general, the need for glory and recognition exceeds all else and they thrive on sponsorship. When I was testing the Spin VI one of the bigs came up asking alot of questions and said he was jealous that I was testing a reel not released yet and that he needed a reel sponser. "You think I can get sponsered if I start using company X and shout them out in my videos" he asked. Mind you he made $45,000 the previous month off of YouTube and was concerned with getting a few free reels lmao, I just don't get what drives some of these guys but free stuff seems like priority #1.

Talking with Penn at Icast they had miscommunication with Scooby, and wanted to send him the VI for review. Brought up that they didn't know where he stood with Penn by some of his previous comments. Like myself, everything I know about Scoobs shows that he isn't biased to anything or anyone, he just tells it like it is and I expressed that because I was accused of the same haterness before and find myself very similar to him in that aspect. Followed up with Scooby to make sure they got in contact, and after testing, our sentiments on the reel pretty much match up on the positive end. It isn't that hard to be honest to yourself and others, but the industry the way it has become and the competition to get somewhere, quickly exposes how much greed people have to make it and be known and what they are willing to do for that. I might actually watch more YouTube if I knew more guys like Scooby were doing it.

Couldn't be bothered with watching YT fishing shows, and Have no clue who Elias is,

it's all marketing BS, didn't you know you need Rattle sinkers to catch bass, and fluke

a sucker soon parts with his money.

and for the FB posters enough with #everything already

Edited by Sandflee

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching