r111

Skinner rubs it in, again

126 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, flylikabird said:

Where's my popcorn....this is gonna get good!

Don't know why Riddler is being so hostile, seems like he misses his pissing matches with Kross.

7 mins ago, flylikabird said:

Where's my popcorn....this is gonna get good!5bce2b831d362_perfect-popcorn-vertical-b-18001.jpg.38597b384f36a6c9f2d04bba7c448596.jpg

I'll take that with the extra butter.

10 mins ago, gellfex said:

You have said you live close enough to the bay to walk your boat there for a few a hours of fishing more nights a week than not. Many on this board live an hour from the salt, some much more.

Is it an obsession you have for me?  For the love of god. It's a ****ing kayak forum. :laugh:

For an extra 5 bucks sir we can give you the old hole in the bottom of the bucket trick from the 1950's to go with the extra butter.   Would you like yours with or without the hole?   

Just now, flylikabird said:

For an extra 5 bucks sir we can give you the old hole in the bottom of the bucket trick from the 1950's to go with the extra butter.   Would you like yours with or without the hole?   

I only like the microwave stuff.

15 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Is it an obsession you have for me?

More of man-crush!:theman:

You've talked a lot about your fishing habits, and your situation is relatively unusual, so it's memorable. I have a good memory for stupid things, can't remember to take out the garbage though.  A lot of us need to clear a 6 or 8 hr chunk of time to fish. Even though I live a mile from the water, by the time I have to load up, drive 15-20 min to the nearer launches, unload and paddle a mile or 2 to (possibly) good fishing, I'm in an hour on each end right there. 

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:37 AM, reelfire said:

Don't ask us locals what we think of him and what his nickname is here.  Atleast he humble enough to give the two senior men on the beach the respect they both deserve. Seeing how both of them can out fish him and actually have personalities.

oh boy!

that's blasphemy :laugh:

8 mins ago, jimmythe bee said:

Don't ask us locals what we think of him and what his nickname is here.  Atleast he humble enough to give the two senior men on the beach the respect they both deserve. Seeing how both of them can out fish him and actually have personalities.

Sorry, but will probably get "flamed" here but the two "senior men" on the beach, whom we all know, never, in my observance while fishing with Skinner along with the 2 "seniors" on the beach, have never "outfished" John Skinner, especially the past four years. I have never observed this to be true. John Skinner,  stays to himself and is polite to all of us fishing alongside him. John is friendly and, of course, as we all know, an expert fishing the North Fork beaches. I've fished many fall albie/striper seasons alongside John Skinner and he, IMO, is a master fisherman. No question at all. 

5 mins ago, flysully said:

Sorry, but will probably get "flamed" here but the two "senior men" on the beach, whom we all know, never, in my observance while fishing with Skinner along with the 2 "seniors" on the beach, have never "outfished" John Skinner, especially the past four years. I have never observed this to be true. John Skinner,  stays to himself and is polite to all of us fishing alongside him. John is friendly and, of course, as we all know, an expert fishing the North Fork beaches. I've fished many fall albie/striper seasons alongside John Skinner and he, IMO, is a master fisherman. No question at all. 

Why does it matter? What makes Skinner different isn't whether he's "the best", it's that he's willing to share with a larger group than the people he sees regularly on the beach, by writing books and making videos. 

And, yes, gellfex, I've found JSkinner to share info, when he has time away from his intense beach fishing. 

I'm just a beach "fishing acquaintance", not a personal friend of JS, but can see why he might seem "offstanding" to those who might approach him while he's fishing. He wants to be left alone while he's fishing a blitz. Don't blame him.  I've observed so many times, based on his excellent reputation, that he's concentrating so much on catching that he might not seem like he'd like to be "social". Again, don't blame him. He's "mugged" practically every time he appears on the beach. Seems like everyone wants to "stand" in JSkinner's "spot".  My 10 year observation is that JS is definitely a "gentleman" who is just keyed in on his fishing and really doesn't need admiration, etc. from his fellow fishermen. He's just there to fish. Leave him alone and go on to another topic:)

11 mins ago, flysully said:

And, yes, gellfex, I've found JSkinner to share info, when he has time away from his intense beach fishing. 

I'm just a beach "fishing acquaintance", not a personal friend of JS, but can see why he might seem "offstanding" to those who might approach him while he's fishing. He wants to be left alone while he's fishing a blitz. Don't blame him.  I've observed so many times, based on his excellent reputation, that he's concentrating so much on catching that he might not seem like he'd like to be "social". Again, don't blame him. He's "mugged" practically every time he appears on the beach. Seems like everyone wants to "stand" in JSkinner's "spot".  My 10 year observation is that JS is definitely a "gentleman" who is just keyed in on his fishing and really doesn't need admiration, etc. from his fellow fishermen. He's just there to fish. Leave him alone and go on to another topic:)

Bingo.  Well said.

I sense some jealousy from some of these posts , Skinner is the man .

Someone we should all emulate , his skills are well honed and he is willing to teach and share his knowledge.  He's not using fancy or expensive gear and he's not pushing anyone to buy that stuff . He's also not running down the beach like some other author I know telling everyone what they are doing wrong . He fishes a hell of a lot harder then a ton of other guys , that alone should earn some respect .

4 hours ago, The Riddler said:

That's great. I don't do how to videos. You'll just have to go out and learn the old fashioned way and do it on your own.

You don't do how to videos, but you've done plenty of how-to posts on various forums...and those are greatly appreciated. 

Forum posts, videos, books, seminars, lectures...does it really matter how information is passed along?

ROTFLMAO!!  Yes I know John quite well, and he's a hell of a fisherman.  On the other hand, I've spent many hours fishing with his older, and wiser brother, an equally skilled angler.  Skinner the Elder is the family's bucktail R&D, Tech Support and Manufacturing Departments, and still makes the best bucktails that grace the rips of Plum Gut and The Sluiceway.  John has drifted away because Big Bro doesn't offer sponsorships...  :howdy: