Drummerbeedude

Aimd sharks

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Fish a hole with lite tackle an hour before sunset and during the begining of an incoming tide .  Land yourself enough spot and king to last well into the night.  Fish the same hole during the slack to start your slick and outgoing into the night.  If he is looking he will find you...

My shark set up is an 11' heavy from 1984 lol...9/0penn...a rigged king and a rigged spot if i cant find kings...12' of 80lb leader...10/0 circle (larger hooks are easier to remove)...i never cast further than 40yds out.  They comb the wash at night...

I am also working on improving my casting abilities.  But until then I have been using the kayak to get baits over the bar. Most days it yields at least one toothy critter.  Last fall it got my buddy and I out first big reds.  

1 hour ago, Esoxhunter said:

I believe you're thinking too hard. Before I got 4wd I just walked over the dune at the parking lots and caught every kind of shark (good ones also) that you catch in the osv zone. I fished some lousy looking water because I could only get to water I could walk to. Didn't matter.

My first choice is incoming water around dusk to midnight. But that is hardly a rule.

Upgrade tackle to throw up to 10 ounces, reels must have at least 300 yard capacity.

Put out 3 rods. Throw lots of bait! Rebait every 30 or so minutes at least. I use bunker. Average size bunker I will only get a head and three chunks. Use big chunks.

Lots of days you will catch more sharks in daylight than you will at night for whatever reason. Casting distance is way overrated for sharks. Throw as big a chunk as you can as far as you can and it will be good enough. Just keep pitching fresh bait.

If you go down this week I betcha you will still get into them. Probably gonna be a run of big sand tigers soon.

One more thing. You will hookup much more if using a heavy mono leader and circle hook than steel leader. Make sure you use circles!!!!!! And have the right tools to unhook the beasts. Go with someone else first if you haven't done it yourself to get the idea. It ain't hard....

Yup, pretty notorious for overthinking. What do you mean heavy mono? 80? 100? 400?

This summer I used a 3' rub leader of 300 pound mono then the 25' of 50 pound shock leader tied to my 17 pound running line. It worked out pretty good. When that 300 pound rub leader got nicked I replaced it. This was north of AI.

Its probably overkill that 300. Lots of sharks are caught at AI during drum season using 100 pound leader and a circle hook.

16 mins ago, PSUsurfisher said:

I am also working on improving my casting abilities.  But until then I have been using the kayak to get baits over the bar. Most days it yields at least one toothy critter.  Last fall it got my buddy and I out first big reds.  

We’ve messed with that. Never caught anything, and was a bit of an endeavor. It also requires a competent crew, I’ve got 2 greenhorns, ones 13 and the other is handicapped. Despite this, we did it a few times, never got a bump. It takes a certain degree of skill and fortitude to paddle through the surf at night!

5 mins ago, Drummerbeedude said:

We’ve messed with that. Never caught anything, and was a bit of an endeavor. It also requires a competent crew, I’ve got 2 greenhorns, ones 13 and the other is handicapped. Despite this, we did it a few times, never got a bump. It takes a certain degree of skill and fortitude to paddle through the surf at night!

Its definitely something I only do when there are at least 3 of us there and the weather/waves have to be cooperating.  I haven't brought myself to try kayaking at night yet, just daytime.  

I wouldn't recommend kayaking at night until your well versed at it. I used to all the time until I got dumped 400 yards out at 3 am one night, wrapped up in my line took all I had to get untangled and back into the yak. 

46 mins ago, Esoxhunter said:

This summer I used a 3' rub leader of 300 pound mono then the 25' of 50 pound shock leader tied to my 17 pound running line. It worked out pretty good. When that 300 pound rub leader got nicked I replaced it. This was north of AI.

Its probably overkill that 300. Lots of sharks are caught at AI during drum season using 100 pound leader and a circle hook.

I’ve got some 150, I’ll try that, maybe pick up some 100. The only other option on hand is 400. Stuffs a real pain to tie.

29 mins ago, dave sharkman said:

I wouldn't recommend kayaking at night until your well versed at it. I used to all the time until I got dumped 400 yards out at 3 am one night, wrapped up in my line took all I had to get untangled and back into the yak. 

I have a lot of experience yakking at night, just not in the surf. I have my dads old dive knife that I take strapped to my leg. It’s not sharp, but has a serrated part. Cuts mono, but not me! 

Good thinking. Like I said I used to yak baits all the time but honestly all my biggest toothy critters have been on casted baits so I figured why all the effort. Essox is right tho sandtigers should be thick soon. Unfortunately from my experience they are also biggest and most aggressive this time of year because it's their mating season. Casting I'll use 50# shock leader tied to my 17# main line. Then I run 6 ft of 150# mono swivel on both ends with a sinker slide on the 150# rub leader to a 3 inch section of malin wire to a 16/0 hook. 

Biggest sandtiger on casted baits using a 12 ft 1509 and a diawa sealine 30 reel pic was taken about 7 years ago. This guy was 10 ft 7. The second pic is the bull I caught years ago, and the 3rd pic is the biggest sandbar I have ever caught or seen lol 

FB_IMG_1539676380451.jpg

FB_IMG_1539676109233.jpg

FB_IMG_1539676530965.jpg

My biggest sandtiger to date that I have landed, had others snap my 80# braid that I know they had to be bigger:

Sandtiger

Half the battle is getting them back in the water alive after the picture, not lost one yet.

Edited by spinr0k

It's all good man. Any action for the kid is better than none. And..not a fan of that tool he's de-hooking with. IMO it takes to long. This is better for any size shark..Image result for plumbers pliers