Drummerbeedude

Aimd sharks

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

So, my son loves to catch sharks. I’ve seen some reports of sharks. I’m not looking for a spot burn, I was wondering about some things. Time of day vs tide? Bait cannon over bar? We usually use whatever bait is available , mostly spot, occasionally kingfish and blues. We fish fish finder rigs, from up close to almost the bar (can’t quite get there yet). Anybody have any pointers. We fish there a lot, it’s kinda frustrating to see reports but come up empty. Maybe it’s my surf reading skills.........

5 hours ago, Drummerbeedude said:

Bait cannon over bar?

Maybe, lets start with what ya got...12 ft. conventional or 9 ft. spinning rod. Us knowing you're gear helps us maybe..help you. Then we can take it from there. :)

You can check with the Park Rangers,pretty certain they're not allowed on AI. Maybe a better use of your time would be perfecting casting skills for distance,though absolute distance is not always necessary. Some of my bigger fish  were somewhat close to shore,my biggest at night. You can find lots of info in distance casting forum here. Look for casting how to videos from Tommy Farmer,plenty on you tube.

Peruse Poppy's tutorial "Reading the beach" in this forum. Study the diagrams,pics well and apply them next time on the beach.

Need to put in your time in different spots,time of day/night,tide,moon phase. Write down time/tide/moon phase and date what you observe,catch. Look for recurring patterns. After some time you won't have to write things down, they'll be in your head. Beach structure changes weekly,daily,sometimes in a tide. 

Where you caught in the morning may hold no fish in afternoon,sometimes need to duplicate tide where you last caught. Going back to the beach to same spot where you caught last should be no more than a starting point. Fish move and so should you,unless you have reason to be at that spot at that particular time which you would know from previous outings and what you recorded in your head or what you wrote down.

Bottom line,put in your time,observe what's going on around you,watch bird action. Catching is secondary,being there taking in the beauty of the place is 1st.

Fish are a bonus...

Check out https://www.bunkerupfishin.com/

Baitcasters are legal South of KM23. 

I was just down there this past weekend fishing during the day with the family and caught rays and a short dusky, I usually catch more sharks than that to tag but I was using up my old bait molds.

I get plenty of mean looks from the old salts driving by but you get used to it.  

3 hours ago, modelcitizen said:

Bottom line,put in your time,observe what's going on around you,watch bird action. Catching is secondary,being there taking in the beauty of the place is 1st.

Fish are a bonus...

Amen!

I’ve also been working on my casting, but it’s hard to overcome years of casting wrong, plus my tackle isn’t exactly distance casting stuff. I can almost hit the bar, probably about 20-25 yards short. I also fish there regularly, at least 3-4 times a month, frequently more. I’m in Delmar, so it’s not exactly around the corner. It’s pretty hard to put everything in a post. I’m a pretty good fisherman overall, fly fished oc a lot in college, mated offshore, kayak fishing, ultralight, etc. I can read rivers really well, but the surf eludes me. 

Assateague is kicking my hindquarters, I guess I’m just looking for what I’m missing.

While evening/dusk always improves your chances...remember....(in my opinion--Florida here..) tide still reigns. 30min-1hr on either the high outgoing or incoming...they'll be there.

we'll catch just as many at 11am-noon as we will 9-10pm.....when that tide's right.

you won't make friends with casual beach goers (cue the middle fingers and the older crowd insisting "..fishing ain't legal here, whipper snapper!!....dang nabbit!!...")

but...it is what it is.

Edited by Mauru

I believe you're thinking too hard. Before I got 4wd I just walked over the dune at the parking lots and caught every kind of shark (good ones also) that you catch in the osv zone. I fished some lousy looking water because I could only get to water I could walk to. Didn't matter.

My first choice is incoming water around dusk to midnight. But that is hardly a rule.

Upgrade tackle to throw up to 10 ounces, reels must have at least 300 yard capacity.

Put out 3 rods. Throw lots of bait! Rebait every 30 or so minutes at least. I use bunker. Average size bunker I will only get a head and three chunks. Use big chunks.

Lots of days you will catch more sharks in daylight than you will at night for whatever reason. Casting distance is way overrated for sharks. Throw as big a chunk as you can as far as you can and it will be good enough. Just keep pitching fresh bait.

If you go down this week I betcha you will still get into them. Probably gonna be a run of big sand tigers soon.

One more thing. You will hookup much more if using a heavy mono leader and circle hook than steel leader. Make sure you use circles!!!!!! And have the right tools to unhook the beasts. Go with someone else first if you haven't done it yourself to get the idea. It ain't hard....