Robert_Moses

Hickory Shad This Year

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Has anyone noticed a strange abundance of shad this year?  I have been fishing for 10 years so by no means do I have a ton of experience but I’ve been catching shad for months off of the ocean beaches on diamond jigs which I would have always imagined to be too big to catch them on.  They also seem aggressive.  With that many baitfish around it’s surprising to me that not much else is happening currently.  Just wanted to get everyone’s thoughts.

B77A0C59-8D79-4AD4-A6BB-2DAFD9D80F71.jpeg

What I see is the dolphin pods herding them and keeping them tight to beach.

They are however massive,  based on the some of the shad I am catching, if you are matching the hatch you must be catching 50 lb stripers

Exactly my point on the size!  Would take a massive striper to eat these things.  Some of the shad I’m catching are fighting like small cocktail blues and  are coming in in the 2 pound range.  Bizzarro world, at least for what I’m used to.  I purposely switched to daiwa minnows to try to outsize them in terms of bait and still couldn’t cast without catching one !

Posted (edited) · Report post

56 mins ago, baldadonis2002 said:

What I see is the dolphin pods herding them and keeping them tight to beach.

They are however massive,  based on the some of the shad I am catching, if you are matching the hatch you must be catching 50 lb stripers

This one gave me a good laugh. Not 50 lbs not yet but some impressive fish for sure. Even a small striper will eat a huge bait. Small being 36 inch 

Edited by hydraman

No more bass to eat them, so they're taking off.  I love getting a few on the teaser, I'll swap to the sissy stick (fly rod, go light) and have a ball with them.  If you use a really light rig, they can be fun and will give you a good fight.  Every now and then I'll get a cocktail that will go after it and then I'll really have a fight.  If you sling bait, keep a couple in case the big girls survive Zelden's boys in the EEZ and make it to the coast.

Are they edible?  Any good recipes out there?  I’m catching 20 a day would love to have something else to do with them besides throw back/chunk bait

Posted (edited) · Report post

Was on them for a few hours yesterday. More fun than schoolies, and ate anything shiny. Charlie graves killed it. All about 3 lbs.

IMG_2219.JPG

Edited by ThrowinPlugs