Bucktail source

Rate this topic

Matt7082

I've got so much bucktail it's been a while since I purchased it.  However a suggestion if you have three minutes;  go to the bearsden and click on the virtual tour of the shop.  As you enter and take a left you will see the counter with all the high end reels.  Behind and to the left of the reel counter is an entire wall with different grades and colors of bucktail.  If they don't have it you probably don't need it.  Scott or one of the guys or ladies in the store will help you select what you are seeking and they don't gouge you on the shipping.  You want a particular length then tell them.  You want all straight (not kinky) then tell them.   good luck.

I don't believe we are supposed to post business names but I would suggest continuing research and then call some shops and see if you can get them to select what you want for you. Just tell them yer predicament and ask them what colors they have meeting your needs. I found some dynamite bucktails on the west coast sitting in a non-fly shop's fly fishing section, so they could be anywhere, but I would suggest trying people on the east coast. 

Thank you! And yes, I spend a good chunk of change each year with Bears Den. They are a great shop. I will give them a call. 

I know of a guy in Europe who hand selects tails for sale in his shop, but with euro and shipping they cost about $12 a tail. Yikes!

You can buy from most taxidermy shops. I always bought from out west as the deer apparently are larger. Price never changed @$1.00 per tail for over 25 years. You have to wash them and not all tails were large but most of them were but for $1 I never had a complaint. 

6 hours ago, Pungo said:

Brad Buzzy has some crazy good ones too and they are processed beautifully.   You can find him on the BST forum I think.

I'm just going to throw out there that I tried placing an order through that guy's site and was never even contacted other than the original email confirmation...I tried emailing him several times with no response both to his email and through his contact page on his site and was never contacted back...finally after three and a half weeks, I had to contact PayPal to get my money refunded, which then took an extra couple weeks for them to sort out...this was also right around prime striper season so waiting this long definitely sucked. 

Short story long, shopping with this dude basically just ended with me tying up my cash for a little over a month, never receiving the courtesy of communication or the products I ordered, and having to shop elsewhere long after the fact. 

On 10/17/2018 at 4:01 PM, Ftyer said:

I'm just going to throw out there that I tried placing an order through that guy's site and was never even contacted other than the original email confirmation...I tried emailing him several times with no response both to his email and through his contact page on his site and was never contacted back...finally after three and a half weeks, I had to contact PayPal to get my money refunded, which then took an extra couple weeks for them to sort out...this was also right around prime striper season so waiting this long definitely sucked. 

Short story long, shopping with this dude basically just ended with me tying up my cash for a little over a month, never receiving the courtesy of communication or the products I ordered, and having to shop elsewhere long after the fact. 

Had that happen with a shop once. Sucks. 

7 hours ago, Otshawytsha said:

Had that happen with a shop once. Sucks. 

It definitely wasn't fun...I think the thing that irked me the most was that I was pretty excited to have found what I needed without going to a larger store and that this guy was alleged to be some great supplier of buck tail and other tying goods, yet doesn't seem to care about his customer's experience at all. Needless to say, I have more faith in finding a deer tail on the side of the road than I do getting one from that guy. 

something must be wrong with brad or his website, that is definitely very out of character for him. i hope he is well.

i get my bucktails from my pop and his hunting buddies in northern nj. very nice long hair. not sure where you are, or where the hair gets shorter, but since most sw bucktail is often called northern bucktail, i'd guess anything north of nj should be good :th: 

• 2 weeks later...