Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ghost

Fishing the sound side

3 posts in this topic

Although I have been coming down to area between Avon and Hatteras for years I have very little experience fishing the sound . Once I kayak fished just north of Buxton but that is about the limit of by experience on the backside.

I am not looking for exact locations or secret spots, just some tips on how you are doing it. Are you shore fishing, or wading? Bait or lures? With the exception of one spot I know of everything seems so shallow. Are you guys wading out to deep water or fishing in the shallows

Any help would be appreciated.            Thanks 

Wading or kayaking look for holes and grassy spots early morning or evening. Popping cork works well as does bait. If the wind is from the southwest get out about a half hour before sunset and stay until just after dark and use some cut bait, mullet or spot. The wind pushes the bait fish into the shoreline and the drum come out into the shallows at dark chasing them. If your bait is being  stolen by the little bait fish you're either too early or the bigger fish are not there. My 2 cents. Good luck!

Use Google Earth or other satellite image maping for some good spots to check out.  You can see where some deeper water is (looks darker), closer to shore to wade.  If you have a kayak, even better.  If you have a cast net, there are usually ample amounts of mullet and other small fish around.  Shrimp seem to hang out in the grassy areas.  If using shrimp, I personally couldn't get it in the water more than a minute, without a pinfish tearing it apart.  So, if you have kids that you want to just catch some fish, a small hook, 1/2 ounce weight and small piece of shrimp (or small piece of cut bait) will be similar to fishing a farm pond full of bluegills.  For the bigger fish, what Anton58 said.