r111

Who bothers tying braid to mono leader ?

49 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Those that do, please look @ FG knot . Simply exceptional, smallest AND strongest of them all. There's virtually no knot, so you can safely retrieve the line, with the join going PAST the guides and cast it, w/o any fear of knot ripping out guide inserts.

But I reckon most dont bother anymore.

In my case, braid is terminated with a "mighty mini" swivel. It is small enough to go through the guides, event smallest of them, so you can remove the reel after fishing while retaining the swivel and install it back. These last forever. 100# is size of elongated grain of rice.

Then I clip a tactical angler clip to the swivel. This lets me quickly change tackle and also "stops" the line so that neither the swivel nor the clip, go through any of the guides.

And lastly, the lures are each attached to their own ~2 feet of leader. When mean blues are around, I sometimes use 100# test, just for abrasion resistance. But most of the time, 30# is good. Leaders end with a simple ~1" loop, that gets clipped onto the tactical angler clip

Edited by TimS
embedded video
Tesla and Mauru like this

Nice.  This is far thinner than my variation of the Uni. 

I know you are not supposed to real swivels through your guides, but your attention is often on the fish and swivels can break guides, or at least break or scratch the guide eye.  So mini-swivels typically stay in the tackle box. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I tie an Alberto except when Blues are around and I just use a shorter heavier leader with swivel and TA clip.  However they are only about 2 to 3 feet.  Would NEVER take a swivel through the guides.

Edited by Shipwreck

The FG knot is great. I used to use the swivel and tie the lines to it. You’d get snagged and loose the swivel too. Now with the FG knot I break off at the knot by the hook. I don’t loose long pieces of line or hardware. No need to be concerned that the tiny swivel runs up the tip guide. 

It takes a little time to tie, but it does get quicker over time. I use it all the time now. 

If I have time the evening before...ill go with FG.....rigging in advance....

...but out on the water-- tiny swivel works just fine....FAR less "hassle".

I always do it. I started this season. Helps especially when I'm fishing on the kayak or at night. I use the improved alberto knot (I think that's what its called).

Uni-uni, but I've been meaning to try the FG. No swivels through my guide. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the reason why I started going to this rather than a swivel, at night you can't see that freaking swivel and slam it into the top guide! That's a good way to break them.

Googan Sharpie likes this