Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StriperAddict247

VR150 Silent Drag issues

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Had my VR150 for a little over 7 months now and love the reel along with the Power Knob. The only issue I've had is that the drag when line goes out seems to be very silent. Is there any ways of modifying the drag so it's louder? I would ideally like to sound like the VSX drag but not sure how that would happen. Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say, thanks!

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

Posted (edited)

I intentionally silence all my drags, no one else needs to hear it I'm hooked up, it was crucial in the dark this morning, pulled a couple of good fish out of a light crowd with no clicker or light and no muggers.

Edited by pakalolo

I recall BeachGlassGuru posted a fix some time back. You may want to search or PM him. 

Personally, I love the silence on my VR. Just enough for me to feel it. 

13 hours ago, ThirstyOwl III said:

I recall BeachGlassGuru posted a fix some time back. You may want to search or PM him. 

Personally, I love the silence on my VR. Just enough for me to feel it. 

Finally found the post ThirstyOwl III  thanks for that comment!!!

The post I think hes referring to, was for a tweak on the vr50 drag.. I'm pretty sure the drag is different on the larger VR series reels because the spool design is different in the 50..

However, for what it's worth.  My larger VR reels are nearly silent also. 

The 50 is my albie reel... albie fishing, for me, is all about listening to my drag sing... that's why I wanted my drag louder on the 50...

My larger VR reels see a lot of time in the surf at night.. in that case I much prefer a very quiet drag..

Nothing worse than hooking up around several other guys who aren't, and having a loud drag call in the lookie-lous...

I usually try to land and release a fish silently, leaving the guys 10/15 yards away none the wiser.. 

4 mins ago, Beachglass Guru said:

The post I think hes referring to, was for a tweak on the vr50 drag.. I'm pretty sure the drag is different on the larger VR series reels because the spool design is different in the 50..

However, for what it's worth.  My larger VR reels are nearly silent also. 

The 50 is my albie reel... albie fishing, for me, is all about listening to my drag sing... that's why I wanted my drag louder on the 50...

My larger VR reels see a lot of time in the surf at night.. in that case I much prefer a very quiet drag..

Nothing worse than hooking up around several other guys who aren't, and having a loud drag call in the lookie-lous...

I usually try to land and release a fish silently, leaving the guys 10/15 yards away none the wiser.. 

Ohh alright thanks! You still think there might be a way of making the larger VR drag louder? 

Just now, StriperAddict247 said:

Ohh alright thanks! You still think there might be a way of making the larger VR drag louder? 

Not sure.  Sorry. I Never tried. I prefer mine quiet. 

Maybe try to reach out to scooby... he is the resident expert on how things work.. 

On 10/13/2018 at 8:28 AM, pakalolo said:

I intentionally silence all my drags, no one else needs to hear it I'm hooked up, it was crucial in the dark this morning, pulled a couple of good fish out of a light crowd with no clicker or light and no muggers.

+1   I'm with pakalolo on the drag clicker issue.

12 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Not sure.  Sorry. I Never tried. I prefer mine quiet. 

Maybe try to reach out to scooby... he is the resident expert on how things work.. 

Thanks for the quick responses, appreciate the insight brother 

On 10/14/2018 at 3:26 PM, StriperAddict247 said:

Thanks for the quick responses, appreciate the insight brother 

Did you ever find the fix? Just wondering if it is the same as the vr50.