Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sergio

TimS... How is the Neptune 7500 serviced

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I personally service all my reels because it helps me get higher performance out if then and also because sending them out of the country is not an option. To this date I fear no reel smile.gif, but I wonder how will I handle servicing the Neptune 7500 in the future.

Has anyone dared to see the inner workings and specially the sealing system of a Neptune?

Sergio

Sergio, now this is all "what I heard" cause everyone knows that opening up a Neptune/Nautil voids the warranty wink.gif So I have this friend who ignored the plain and clear warning about opening up the reel - here's what he told me smile.gif

Yes, you can service the reel. Getting the yellow water proof rubber off is a bit of a learning experience. Once beyond that, it's a cake walk. The rotor comes off easily, the piece below that with just 4 screws. Then the rubber boot. Actually, back up, the piece below the rotor won't come off until the reel foot is off (2 allen screws.) The gearing is simple inside - matter of fact, it's all pretty simple and straight forward. The only external service I do besides wiping the reel down is a drop of thin oil on the line roller bearing, a drop of thin oil on the handle bearing, and a couple drops of thicker stuff on the spool shaft. Other than that, they don't need any attention. The only item I've needed to replace or heard being replaced is the line roller bearing - and for the record, the line roller bearing from the Daiwa Emblem series will work just fine in a pinch.

Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly - errr...or so my friend tells me icon15.gificon15.gifwink.gif

TimS

Tim,

I was going to ask you the same thing about opening up the my Neptune 7500. I used it one time and managed to get into some bigger blues. After the day was over I notice it made a clicking noise when ever I reeled. I notice it is coming fromin the housing and think it maybe some off set gears. So I guess it would not be a good idea to open myself?

Nighty, I wouldn't recommend opening it. Certainly not if you suspect the gears - there's nothing you can do with the gears if they are thrashed. If you purchased it here, shoot me an email at tims@stripersonline.com . If you didn't, I'd take it right back to where you got it and ask them to replace it for you. Hope this helps.

TimS

I imagined that the bearing of the line roller could be one part exposed to the elements.

I enjoy servicing my reels but I do not have as much time as I would like to do it and I completely dissasemble and asssemble to clean/lube a reel every single time it is dunked. Normally I do not dunk my reels because I can cast far enough in most cases to reach fish, but in some particular conditions I do need to wade at least a hundred yards to make a long cast with the water up to my chest and in that conditions a waterproof reel will save me a lot of time.

I will send you an e-mail in the near future for this reel and some other items.

Thanks.

Sergio

I feel better now.

I thought I was the only anal-retentive nutcase who took apart his reels, ultrasonically cleaned and lubed everything...after every trip.

But, like Sergio mentioned, it's very time consuming to do this, particularly with spinners. I need something I can just rinse off after every trip.

Tim, the willpower to hold back from buying one of these Nautils from you is fading fast. Any feedback from anyone that may be potentially negative?

-FWW

Mr. Weewee wrote:

Any feedback from anyone that may be potentially negative?

Yea, I don't have any at the momenticon15.gificon15.gif

The good news is, I should be getting some in the very near future icon14.gif

FWW, I'd recommend the big yella one fer you, for the fishing you/I do, the slower retreive ratio and added power of the 4.3:1 retrieve is a good thing. For Sergio who's looking to move a lure at lightning speed, the black one (4.9:1) is a better bet. If the 4.3:1 sounds slow, please consider that the reel, with it's sizeable spool, picks up .85 meters of line with each turn of the handle - at 4.9:1 it picks up just over 1 meter per handle turn. For surf stuff, I find that .85 meters per turn is just fine smile.gif

TimS