SaltWaterRooky

Steelhead and Silver sign

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hey folks, I'm up in Washington state and I haven't seen any summer nor fall steelhead or Silver Salmon.  Has anyone seen any run recently, if so, what rivers are they running in?

I know that the kings are running  (I've caught 2 while fishing for steelhead). Unfortunately the kings I caught were old and very dark. Lucky for them they get to continue to their spawning beds.

On 12/10/2018 at 0:39 PM, SaltWaterRooky said:

Hey folks, I'm up in Washington state and I haven't seen any summer nor fall steelhead or Silver Salmon.  Has anyone seen any run recently, if so, what rivers are they running in?

I know that the kings are running  (I've caught 2 while fishing for steelhead). Unfortunately the kings I caught were old and very dark. Lucky for them they get to continue to their spawning beds.

Hey Rooky, I'm up here on business. Check out the Puget Sound hatcheries for coho. Combat fishing but but I heard there are lots of silvers about. 

One thing to keep in mind is this years return coho are coming back off of 2015's returns.

The fish that came back in 2015 were super small and skinny and we had lots of closures that year due to lack of returning fish.

2015 had the warm water blob that sat off the coast and really did a number on the coho.

The Cowlitz had low returns of summer steelhead this year because WDFW somehow "lost" about 500K Cowlitz summer steelhead smolts.

I'd expect better fishing for both coho and summer steelhead next year.

SF

21 mins ago, Alferd Packer said:

That’s classic. Do ya think meth might be involved in the story somewhere?

I'd say there is a high probability!

Here is the story behind it.

SF

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) -- A man was arrested after deputies said he stole a car then drove it into the Cowlitz River Friday morning.

The Lewis County Sheriff's Office said 29-year-old Andrew Joseph Holmgren of Longview stole a car on Oyler Road in Ethel just after 8 a.m. When deputies found the car and tried to stop him, he started speeding more than 100 miles per hour.

During the chase, the deputy said Holmgren threw something at the deputy, which turned out to be a pickax that became lodged in the hood of the stolen car.

The chase continued until the suspect drove into the Cowlitz River. The car became submerged and the driver got out and tried to swim across the river.

Then, in a fight caught on camera by another boater, Holmgren tried to get onto a boat, saying, "I'm not going back to prison."

Witnesses said the fishermen didn't want him on board and he started getting aggressive. The boaters struggled with him for a bit before he continued swimming to the other side of the river.

With the fishermen's help, deputies crossed the river, chased Holmgren back into the river and eventually took him into custody.

The sheriff's office said Holmgren attacked the K9 and tried to take some drugs while he was being arrested.

The K9 was taken to the vet with some cuts, but is OK. 

Holmgren was arrested for vehicle theft, eluding, harming a police dog and assault. The stolen car was a complete loss.

30 mins ago, Stonefish said:

I'd say there is a high probability!

Here is the story behind it.

SF

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) -- A man was arrested after deputies said he stole a car then drove it into the Cowlitz River Friday morning.

The Lewis County Sheriff's Office said 29-year-old Andrew Joseph Holmgren of Longview stole a car on Oyler Road in Ethel just after 8 a.m. When deputies found the car and tried to stop him, he started speeding more than 100 miles per hour.

During the chase, the deputy said Holmgren threw something at the deputy, which turned out to be a pickax that became lodged in the hood of the stolen car.

The chase continued until the suspect drove into the Cowlitz River. The car became submerged and the driver got out and tried to swim across the river.

Then, in a fight caught on camera by another boater, Holmgren tried to get onto a boat, saying, "I'm not going back to prison."

Witnesses said the fishermen didn't want him on board and he started getting aggressive. The boaters struggled with him for a bit before he continued swimming to the other side of the river.

With the fishermen's help, deputies crossed the river, chased Holmgren back into the river and eventually took him into custody.

The sheriff's office said Holmgren attacked the K9 and tried to take some drugs while he was being arrested.

The K9 was taken to the vet with some cuts, but is OK. 

Holmgren was arrested for vehicle theft, eluding, harming a police dog and assault. The stolen car was a complete loss.

Ha! 

And nothing is his fault......

On 10/20/2018 at 0:29 PM, Uncle Stu said:

Hey Rooky, I'm up here on business. Check out the Puget Sound hatcheries for coho. Combat fishing but but I heard there are lots of silvers about. 

I have pretty bad anxiety. Combat fishing would be really bad for me. 

5 hours ago, SaltWaterRooky said:

I arrived at the scene to try my luck on some coho just as they were pulling the van out of the water. There were quite a few cops and a game warden there.

Rocky,

A few years ago a guy launched a 20+ foot Bayliner at Blue Creek and decided to take it down the riffle below the launch.

Needless to say that was a bad idea for his lower unit and prop!

Hard to believe people do dumb stuff like that.

Description of the guys actions.

Evidently, this guy was running downriver shooting huge softball size rocks 10+ feet in the air as his 2 Merc outboards dug their own channel, he made it to the first corner down before losing power (and his props and likely lower units) and continuing to smash into the high wall below blue creek.

SF

3825A579-234E-424D-BAE7-6C4A39FB6FED.jpeg

Edited by Stonefish