Esoxhunter

ok I got a story to tell

21 posts in this topic

Might be long but I am still shaking my head. Got down to AI Tuesday noon and drove around. Found a spot and set up. Caught a red top of the high tide. Then sharks. Next morning Sharks! Fishing 4 rods I had a couple double headers of them. Some guys were just south of me and CJ was just south of them. Nobody north that I could see.The guys just south of me left. Falling tide and bright sun. Threw out a big bluefish chunk and a short while later my north rod goes down. Now I am using a Daiwa Sealine 30SHA. Holds a bit over 300 yards of 17 mono.

I run over and hook up. Fish takes off and I am thinking maybe big red. I do stop it after a bit and it heads north maybe 50 yards so I follow it. Something very heavy. I work it back in to maybe 100 yards of the beach, then off it goes again. This is no red. Now it starts heading south. I do stop it for a bit every once in a while and gain some line back giving me hope I can at least see the critter. Then it takes off heading offshore and south. I followed it for a bit hoping to stop it all the while I kept looking back  to see if anyone was driving by to at least witness it. I estimate the battle to be about 10 minutes. Then it got pissed and took off. I was gonna get spooled. Was really laying into this  fish and couldn't turn it. Wasn't gonna have it drag all that line around so when I got to the final 20 or so yards I really tightened up. Couldn't hold the rod up at this point so I pointed the rod at the fish and pulled snapping the line at the shock leader. Still shaking my head. 

Now I did have two different times earlier when my rod went down, clicker went off for a second then nothing and reel in and no hook from sharks.

I am thinking some kind of big shark. What say you????

I didn't want this to get lost in the fish report threads. Anyone else run into big sharks the past couple days?????

29 mins ago, Esoxhunter said:

Might be long but I am still shaking my head. Got down to AI Tuesday noon and drove around. Found a spot and set up. Caught a red top of the high tide. Then sharks. Next morning Sharks! Fishing 4 rods I had a couple double headers of them. Some guys were just south of me and CJ was just south of them. Nobody north that I could see.The guys just south of me left. Falling tide and bright sun. Threw out a big bluefish chunk and a short while later my north rod goes down. Now I am using a Daiwa Sealine 30SHA. Holds a bit over 300 yards of 17 mono.

I run over and hook up. Fish takes off and I am thinking maybe big red. I do stop it after a bit and it heads north maybe 50 yards so I follow it. Something very heavy. I work it back in to maybe 100 yards of the beach, then off it goes again. This is no red. Now it starts heading south. I do stop it for a bit every once in a while and gain some line back giving me hope I can at least see the critter. Then it takes off heading offshore and south. I followed it for a bit hoping to stop it all the while I kept looking back  to see if anyone was driving by to at least witness it. I estimate the battle to be about 10 minutes. Then it got pissed and took off. I was gonna get spooled. Was really laying into this  fish and couldn't turn it. Wasn't gonna have it drag all that line around so when I got to the final 20 or so yards I really tightened up. Couldn't hold the rod up at this point so I pointed the rod at the fish and pulled snapping the line at the shock leader. Still shaking my head. 

Now I did have two different times earlier when my rod went down, clicker went off for a second then nothing and reel in and no hook from sharks.

I am thinking some kind of big shark. What say you????

I didn't want this to get lost in the fish report threads. Anyone else run into big sharks the past couple days?????

I had the same type of thing happen to me the weekend of the 22 on the va side. Had a spot head on my big century Excalibur w saltist 30  way out.Fish ran big stopped ,I fought it a little than it really got pissed and bent that thing way down and there was no stopping it . The line parted with about 50 yards left so not sure but I had a lot of drag on that fish . I did get my line back so I think it got bit through.

Edited by Jim McFeeley

Got spooled myself on that Friday.   There were some big rays that came thru I heard just north but I couldn’t turn mine and I had entire spool out maybe 300 yds.

It  sure felt Drummie  at first head shake and all but then it also got pissed and just would not slow down.  Helpless feeling.  My guess is rough tail or Sandbar.  Got nice Sandbar on my last cast last week and it just about spooled me also.

Edited by Critter Gitter

Cool stories.  Really gets the adrenaline going, don’t it?  I would suggest roughtail rays but it could be any of dozens of different sea monsters.

Hey Phil... had a big battle a couple of days ago, long battle, over half hour, Lost it in the surf, 80# right above the hook, looked sand worn but a little nic pointed to possible shark, probably a big sand tiger but fought better than they normally do. I thought I saw what looked like it could be a drum but that could be deceiving in the wash, My last drum of the trip fooled me. First I saw a wing of a ray in the wash, a bit latter it looked like a shark. When pulled from the surf it turned into a drum. Sometimes I think these things are shape shifters.

It's a good chance what you had was a roughtail ray. Some are just too big to get in.

Ive been spooled a couple of times in my surf fishing history...once fishing near ramp 34 in Avon on a clear moonlit night...and  again in Buxton on the beach during a foggy afternoon with rain moving in. Both times it was like the creature didn't even know I was on him...no head shakes like a big drum...no direction changes like a lunker bluefish...no stubbornly hugging the bottom like a big ray...it was like the bait got hooked on a passing submarine and just kept on going....oblivious to the pressure I was trying to put on him. This time last year I hooked up with 2 or 3 good sized sharks at Chincoteague...was on the biggest one for what seemed like 20 min until I got him in the wash and the line parted ...at one point saw what I thought was a ray wingtip ...brownish triangular shape breaking surface...then realized it was a dorsal fin... looked to be a 5 or 6 footer of some kind. Sounds like you tangled with a toothy critter...dont think one of those big rays would take you up and down the beach like that. Shame you didnt get a visual.

Edited by dixiekraut

I've been spooled several times especially by the toothy critters. Sandbars over 7ft you better pray you have enough line. I've landed a few but it took me running into the water and up and down the beach to keep what line I had. Finally when they do tire out you have a chance. That 55" red I had ran hard but nothing like a big toothy does. It gave one long run in the beginning then just refused to come in once it tired out. I'd gain line then it would take it back. I've had big blacktips dump my spool before. Usually you know you hooked them by them breaching. Huge Rays will run hard but wont usually give any tell tell signs of being a fish such as head shakes etc. So I believe you hooked into a big shark. And it's possible a sandtiger. Most of the year sandtigers dont run hard but late September October is mating season for them and they tend to become really aggressive and fight like real monsters lol

Yea from my experience I'm thinking some kind of big shark excluding sand tiger. I've caught sand tigers to about 8' and they haven't run anything like this one. Same with rays. This thing never sat down like rays do. The ones I have caught anyway.Burned my thumb a couple times trying to slow it down. Funny thing is it acted just like Dave described. I'm not sure the dang thing knew it was hooked for the first part of the fight then it was over.

Summer sharking friends and I have landed some large sandbars but always managed to turn them. This one seemed to be picking up speed the further away it got! 

Big Sandbars are tough shouldered critters.  Based on the not so small one I caught last cast reminded me of their power.  Biggest I ever caught on standard gear was at least an hour fight 84in female Sandbar.  Caught on full spooled 9500 and it took all it had.  You spend all that time getting line back and in nano second its all gone just to start over.  I am sure Dave can a test to the power of these sharks.

89F20B1E-8DC7-4228-B1ED-9BF8AC26CC17.jpeg

Spinner sharks are really aggressive, they are in the area, I caught a 48" and 50" last month.  If it was bigger those guys are awesome fighters.

Critter your correct. Biggest sandbar on reg gear was was 8 ft 3 and that guy dumped my spool 3 times before I got him in. My biggest blacktip was 83 inches and it had the people quarter mile up the beach drive down because they thought I hooked a dolphin lol. Thing was cartwheeling all over past the outer bar.

Great story and account of the action. Based on your description I'd say big sandbar 7'+ or a Bull. There have been a few Bulls caught over the years...they're around