BrianBM

Southold fishing/parking permit

Rate this topic

88 posts in this topic

What, exactly, does an outsider buy for a $300 parking permit?  The right to use Southold parking lots, or is there such a thing as actual beach driving to be had?

East Marion is a nice place to live, though I've only driven through it.  So would Montauk Heights, behind Gurney's, be nice. Beyond my budget too.

Pretty sure it's just parking, I've been to most of the beaches and I don't recall seeing anyone driving on one (and they're really not built for it either)  Is that $300 a one year term or two?  I know for residents, they bumped up the parking permits to two years from one.

I’ve been getting the Southold permit for years, never saw any beach driving. I believe I payed $35 or $40 last year, but that’s for seasonal guests. It’s not only for parking lots. Most dead end streets require it as well. There is also another sticker for the historical parks, which is free for residents in the actual town. I get both. 

Its a hike for me from East Moriches, but sometimes pays off. 

BrianBM where can you apply for that permit? I don't see it online anywhere. I don't think you can drive ON any North Fork beaches except for Orient with the county permit.

There is no beach that you can drive on in Orient.  I believe you have to go in person to the Southold Town clerk's office (on Rt. 25 in Southold) to get permits-at least that's what I do.

So if I wanted to come fish for the weekend, legally parking at beaches or beach access points would cost me $300? Asking because I'm heading that way this weekend and don't really have a spot in mind yet.

36 mins ago, lonellr said:

So if I wanted to come fish for the weekend, legally parking at beaches or beach access points would cost me $300? Asking because I'm heading that way this weekend and don't really have a spot in mind yet.

I believe so. There may be a few restaurant lots you can park in, but that probably it. Typical NS. 

It is just a parking permit. you cannot drive on the beaches in Southold. Make sure you get the night fishing card along with parking permit. Or pm me and ill let you know where my pickup is and it has all the stickers. Still wondering if we will get any fall run other than albies.

No beach driving. Years ago in some parts you could not sure legally.

Parking permit allows you to park at town beaches and town parks only. Each hamlet has its private beaches that you must be a resident of that hamlet, town sticker doesn't get you in. East Marion has a resident only beach, technically I can't park there with a town sticker

Should also add: Certain dead end beach access points that allow Southold Town parking are private property. In other words, you can park on the street with a sticker but the beach access is on private property, usually homeowner associations. Most of these HOAs, get real nasty. 

I remember parking permit used to be $50/yr ~ 10-15 yrs ago for non-resident.  Last week, I asked my wife to drop me off and pick me up after she is done shopping at the outlet.  Big mistake, the credit card bill is more than 300 dollars :-)  

The only beach driving on the north fork is town of riverhead to town line. If you come east of that you hit mattituck inlet and park district property and they will call the cops. For years i wanted the towns to do a reciprocal agreegment. Wont happen though.  Back in 50s and 60s you could go mattituck to wading river and if you had the rigjt buggy and tide all the way to mt sinai.